Clone purchase review

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Maybe it has something against Jersey... You just are not having the luck this month man.

Reactions: littleblazer

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Sparky said:
2006 and newer yes you can change tire sizes and such. The 2002-2005 PCM I know you can't do squat with gear ratios or tire size with any of the aftermarket tuners (like HP Tuners), not sure what limitations there are on that with a Tech2. Obviously the dealer is no help with that part so I think that may be uncharted territory.
In a way you are correct, 2002-2005 you can adjust the rear gear ratio for shift points. But not to correct the actual speedometer. The speed is correct in the pcm like for dash command, however the signal is converted by the bcm for the cluster so it is inaccurate.
Mooseman said:
I have a neighbour that has an old Crapalier, not sure if it's older than 1996. I'm working this weekend but next time I spot him, I'll ask.
Anything older than obd2 does not have an interface to work with diagnostic software. Each vehicle has a specific way to pull the codes by making the engine light flash in sequence.

For example: to get the codes on a 95 Honda Accord you insert a jumper wire and turn the key on, slow flashes are 10's and quick flashes are 1's. So 2 slow flashes and 3 quick flashes would be a code 23. Each manufacturer has their own list of codes. They codes were not standardized until obd2 was released and mandated by law in 1996.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You're telling me. PS pump, Fuel pump, Stalling out in front of a mechanics shop 3 times in one week, I feel like its telling me something lol.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just tried it again, no dice.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Maybe you need to go to Atlantic City and roll the dice there...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thats like an hour and a half drive and I got work in the morning.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Blckshdw said:
:eek: those shipping fees though! :wowfaint:
Yea. But I still can't make a payment on aliexpress....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
littleblazer said:
Yea. But I still can't make a payment on aliexpress....
:undecided: Might be cheaper to get one of your buddies to pay for it, you reimburse them for the cost, and buy em a pizza and some beer. Would be WAY less than that shipping fee. :yes:

Reactions: Mounce

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This is also true.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That shipping is crazy! Find a way to get it from Aliexpress. Even eBay doesn't have them at this price. Could be a anti-clone or copyright issue there.

I wouldn't be surprised that these clones all come from the same factory.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I ended up going with this one. It was only about 10$ more.

Tech 2

swede

Jun 22, 2014
What about things like changing RPOs? Example: activating fog light control in an LS BCM.

Only by reprogram the BCM with a software from another VIN that have the RPO you want (see my thread about DRL http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/need-expertise-help-on-lgm-bcm-problem.12545/page-2 )

You can install brand new modules (e.g. DDMs that haven't been programmed)? I understand that in doing that you go through a whole laundry list of what options are/aren't on the truck. And that's essentially what turns on or off RPOs. Maybe we're talking two different things...

Sorry nope, with the TIS2000 you do NOT get a list of RPO to pick from when installing and flashing a new module.

Now I've had people say you can't change tire size. If you can indeed do that with this I'm sold. [emoji2] well I'm still sold.

On my 2002 TB I only have a few pre-set tire sizes to pick from in Tech 2, you can NOT pick your own tire size and program it with Tech 2 in to your vehicle.

I've bought 3 things via visa card. I wish they took PayPal lol.

If you contact a seller you can pay with PayPal, I bought mine from Alibaba and paid with PayPal.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
On my 2002 TB I only have a few pre-set tire sizes to pick from in Tech 2, you can NOT pick your own tire size and program it with Tech 2 in to your vehicle.

Can you list some examples? I'd assume as long as you can make a selection that's close to, if not the same, tire diameter, that would resolve speedo issues.

Reactions: Harpo

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Can you list some examples? I'd assume as long as you can make a selection that's close to, if not the same, tire diameter, that would resolve speedo issues.
Not from my head, need to connect tech 2

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mine lists tires and rims all the way up to 30.6 inches iirc.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, well that's the tire size I'm running now, so that would be good for my speedo and odometer. Would still suck for guys that needed to run spacers though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hmm, well that's the tire size I'm running now, so that would be good for my speedo and odometer. Would still suck for guys that needed to run spacers though.
26570r16 iirc was the largest

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That list might be according to the VIN as well. 16" is definitely not the largest available in our platform. If someone had a TB LS, it would probably only list 16" tire sizes because that's what it came with. On my 06 9-7x, it listed 17" and 18" sizes because it does have a 17" spare in case a customer would want to run 17" rims all around. But the sizes are listed under the ABS/Stabilitrak menu which leads me to believe this is only to fine tune those only, not for speedo calibration because the sizes listed were all close to each other diameter wise.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It listed 17 and 18 as well. My bad.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Just purchased one from Alibaba last night. Seeing that others paid with Paypal, I sent the seller a message asking if I could pay that way and within 2 minutes I had a response with their email address.

Looking forward to getting it and playing with it. Gonna jump on my dash and find out why the driver's side fogs up (leaking heater core) but the passenger side is clean as a whistle, even when on other settings (foot, face). Gotta be a module in there not traveling enough and air is spilling around. Then when I go to defrost, the drivers side is still froggy (sic) and the passenger side is still clear. Also, I'll try to figure out why my defrost temp is so much hotter than the air temp coming from any other setting.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Just got a box handed to me from our receiving guy. I had given him a head's up that it might be arriving today since I had it shipped to my work address. Unboxing was uneventful, and as such, was not recorded to post all over the innerwebz. I'll be playing with it this afternoon after work for sure! Reviews to follow.

Quick question: Will I need to use the CANdi module? Mine is an '05 with a 5.3. First time playing with one. Heck, I've never even seen one in person.

ETA: Yes, I do need the module. The scanner couldn't get any data and it told me to check the CANdi module or make sure it was plugged in to something. Put the CANdi inline and powered back up and voila! Data!

Wow, is it nice seeing all that data! Now I just need to learn more about and play with it more. I need to find out the product line for our Impala. Hopefully it's in the book or online somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's probably one of the letters in the VIN for the product line. Maybe try B body. They could have retained that letter from the old Caprice/Impala.

Enjoy the new toy! :woohoo:

Reactions: C-ya

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
To update the thread for the Impala product line, it is W. Not the 5th digit of the VIN as I thought and as was suggested elsewhere.

On to the review portion. I have been able to monitor and control so many functions on the vehicle! I can turn off injectors to simulate misfires. I can roll the windows up and down on the front doors (haven't played enough to see if the back doors are in there, but I'm sure they are). I can lock and unlock the doors and rear lift gate. Actually got to try it for real yesterday as the lift gate wouldn't open when I turned the truck off and tried to get something out of the back. I was able to cycle it with the Tech 2 and it opened from the rear. Not sure if I can do more with those modules as I just played with it yesterday. That is the second time the lift gate acted up, so I'll see what other info I can see and test.

I looked at the door positions in the dash and all of them seemed to be within a count or two of where they were commanded most of the time. Not sure if I'll be able to catch the leakage that fogs my windshield, but I'll be watching it. Surprisingly the Defrost door and the AC/Heater door were out by 4 and 18 counts respectively when it was in floor mode. I may do a calibration and see if they get closer.

Anyway, I'm really liking this new tool/toy! If anyone is in the area and wants to check their GM vehicle, let me know. Some good beer is about all I'd ask if it isn't too far away.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Anyway, I'm really liking this new tool/toy! If anyone is in the area and wants to check their GM vehicle, let me know. Some good beer is about all I'd ask if it isn't too far away.
Let me help you out there. :wink:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
On to the review portion.
:goodpost:

Depending on how things go this winter, I may have to splurge and get one of these after new years. I think it would be so much easier to troubleshoot when things go bad, if you know you can tell the BCM directly to do something, instead of having to swap modules, or get another GMT 360/370/305 to swap parts with.

Especially in cases with the XUV and the endgate functions, to see if the module is the problem, the switches, or latches when it doesn't want to open properly. :yes:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Let me help you out there. :wink:

I thought you were linking me to a good beer! Actually, I was going to post in that thread when I got back from lunch. I just finished the review portion and left for lunch.

:goodpost:

Depending on how things go this winter, I may have to splurge and get one of these after new years.

When you consider a decent bidirectional scanner on Amazon is about $250 (albeit not make specific), you really can't beat the price for these clones. That's the only limiting factor on this - it is GM specific. But, I have two GM vehicles, and will now most assuredly continue to buy GM's as replacements (not that I wouldn't have without having this scanner as I kinda like them). Gotta keep the scanner useful!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And you can also replace and update modules as well (up to 2007). My '06 9-7x had a problem with the PDM where nothing worked in the passenger door once in a while. There was an update specific to this problem and boom! all good. I would have wasted time and money replacing the PDM, which might have had the same issue. Testing the electro-viscous fan is also a breeze with this.

Reactions: C-ya

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Moose, when you update the modules, you have use the PC, right? Still learning what it can do and how you set it up to do different things. I'm going to get my XP laptop fired up and try to get all the software installed on it.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, you need tis2000 whether you are using the pass through method or Tech 2 method. Using the pass through method is by far the easiest and quickest method. I was going to post an article on that but just haven't had the time.

Reactions: djthumper and C-ya

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
You basically get the same as the subscription using the old TIS2000 software with the crack (write up on this later). Only problem is that it was discontinued in 2008 and is good up to model year 2007. Apparently you can get the subscription based software for a day or two but I don't know if it will like working with these clones because I think they all have the same serial number and/or is not valid. There might be the possibility of using the newer software (GlobalTIS) but I have to do some more research on this. But for your 2006, you should be OK with TIS2000. I updated all the modules in my Saab, no issues.

BTW, have you tried just adding the switch and see if it activates the relay? Same deal as the cruise control.

Mooseman,
Has it been determined if you can add RPO codes like Fog lights with TechII and TIS2000? My wide works for a Chevy dealer so that might help but I would still be at the mercy of the tech and his personal experience and with GM if necessary. Could one program the BCM with Tech II (and supporting hardware/software) to, say, take a different RPO radio? :biggrin: Trying to see if one could get an 04 "Band" button radio work in an 03 TB. The more I research the more it looks like the 02-03 TB's were bastards... not just the radio's. I just went to the junkyard today and pulled off of an 04 TB a complete antenna to module (with 2ft of pigtail) XM setup for $15. Maybe it was a waste of time... but want to dig into it as far as I can before throwing the setup on ebay/craigslist.

Is this all VIN based? Meaning no matter if I was to obtain an 04 BCM (or even PCM from same TB) I am screwed because of the VIN?

Last time I used a Tech II was over 11 yrs ago... and mostly used it to bleed brakes :smile:

Definitely interested in the clone TechII... You link has it on sale right now... very attractive price with free shipping.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do believe it is all VIN based for RPO's and other options like gearing. Case in point, before I got the Tech 2, I had a spare PCM from an unknown junker of the same year TB. I did the CASE relearn at work and all was good but I didn't notice that the speedo was off. I then noticed my MPG were really down. I then figured it out that the PCM was programmed for 3.73 gears (I have the 3.42) and the speedo/odo were off. That being said, when a new module is programmed, Tis2000 asks for the VIN and that's all. No options, no gearing, nothing so I assume there is some sort of back door coding in the VIN for the options.

I'm thinking of building a repository on VIN's with the list of options for each one. I know guys that change gears can't program the PCM or BCM/ABS to work correctly so this might work.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Are you thinking a way around this is to order a new module (or find a way to wipe a used unit) and then program it to a VIN with your target RPO(s)? Is there a VIN check between PCM and BCM?

If I can add/remove RPO's (including from different years within reason) from the BCM via "back door coding" using the Tech II and its supporting hardware I will order the clone right away. I'd rather do this myself if possible...

(edit) screw it... ordered the Tech II on sale using your link :biggrin: ... really do want to learn more about my TB after having owned it since new in 2003 :biggrin: :biggrin:. I do have an 06 Silverado with a few mods :wink: ... so at least I have a couple of vehicles to play with :smile:

Last edited:

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Woo-hoo! :biggrin: Received mine today! I ordered mine evening of 2/10. Chinese New Year runs through 2/13 so I had to wait a few days for seller response. On 2/14 I got a note from seller asking which card I wanted. I responded and on 2/15 I got conformation on the GM Card. On 2/16 I got a notice TechII had shipped. This morning 2/18 the DHL truck pulled up. Everything was packed well in a cardboard box that was completely taped up! The box could have floated in water! :biggrin: Anyway, uunpacked it and immediately plugged it into the Trailblazer. Yep, everything works! I can't believe how cheap the price was. Wow. Thanks for the purchase link Mooseman!

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
What about things like changing RPOs? Example: activating fog light control in an LS BCM.

Just a quick update here...

I went to the local pull-n-save junkyard and purchased a front light harness that includes wiring for fog lights. I also purchased a headlight switch that includes fog light control. Got all that installed. I confirmed all other wiring in my main interior existing harness supports fog lights. My underhood fuse box already had fuse and relay in place for front fog lights. I don't have fog lights installed yet so I just hooked up a DVM and turned on the fog light switch. Confirmed there is no power going to fog light connector(s)... with existing factory BCM programming.
So, after playing around with TIS2000, Tech2, and a spare BCM I have determined that there are a couple of calibration options in TIS2000 provided for my VIN. Off the top of my head there are calibration options with and without fog lights and with and without remote keyless entry. There may be one or 2 other options but I forget what they are. Anyway, I reprogrammed (not replace and program) my BCM today selecting fog light and keyless entry calibration files. I rechecked voltage to the fog light connector(s) and sure enough I have power. So there you go... :smile:

Next project is using a different VIN (for BCM) and try to get factory XM radio to work with a full size truck 03-05 6-Disk head unit I recently installed. I think I have found a VIN that will work. I searched a thread on that "other" site looking for a VIN that has 3.73 gears and manual A/C as a baseline. From there I started looking for options I wanted. We'll see how that works out :smile:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Bill, that's awesome that you were able to pick and choose the option you wanted to turn on or off. If you would, could you do a quick write-up on how to do it? I have the two CD's that came with my clone but haven't played around with them too much. I know MM uses the TIS2000. I need to put it on a PC and start playing, I reckon.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'll just mention that you can also do that to the PCM with gear changes. I had a spare PCM from some truck at the U-Pull yard and sent it for a tune before I got the Tech 2. Later on, I noticed that my mileage sucked and the speedo was off. I figured out that the spare PCM was geared for 3.73 and I have 3.42. You just have to find a VIN to match your year and gearing to calibrate the speedo.

Bill Reid

Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Well, just purchased an 06 SWB 5.3 4X4. Found out my Candi module was DOA - first time I tried to use it. Even tried diagnostics test. No comms. No blinking green LED, nothing. Passthru (Candi) works but Tech2 does not see it. Wound up ordering another, hopefully better luck. I have an 06 Silverado (no Candi required), an 03 TB, and an 02 Cavalier. Tech2 runs perfectly on those applications. I plug into my 06 TB with a Candi and it says it needs Candi. Hook up Candi and it acts the same. Does not see it... after several attempts including reseating cables/connectors. Wound up ordering another Candi from same guy in China for $42. Hopefully better luck with the next one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.