Clone purchase review

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First post and thread in the section. :wooot:

So you want to buy a Tech2 for the ability to do a lot more than just read codes. There is now a proliferation of clones coming from China of this tool. Some of the earlier ones were prone to failure but I think the quality has increased while the price has been steadily decreasing.

I bought mine from this seller at Alibaba:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Auto-Diagnostic-tool-gm-Tech-II-GM-Tech-2-Pro-Kits-for-GM-SAAB-OPEL-SUZUKI/1756517_32313222529.html

It comes without the carry case but I didn't really care because most have broken hinges anyway. I used an old laptop bag that's perfect for all the cables and attachments. Shipping was quick. It came within a week. The seller is very responsive and answered my questions within a day. He also put the value for customs at $45 so taxes and import charges were minimal.

Have been using it a few times and it works perfectly except that it reboots when I start the engine. Not too sure what's up with that but I have a feeling that the drop in power may have something to do with it. Apart from that, it comes with everything, including the TIS2000 software but no dongle but there is a crack available to get that working.

If you are willing to wait, it goes on sale for 5% off once in a while so save it in your wish list and you'll get an email that it went on sale.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Can you talk about some of the things you can/have successfully done with it? Known limitations?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's a pretty tall order. I'm pretty sure that will all come out in time as this section gets populated but a quick summary would be that it can test and read each individual sensor, actuator, valve, injector or component. Also does some special "dealer only" relearns such as the CASE, ABS bleed and security/key relearn. Will update any module that has an update available for it and will also allow you to install a replacement module and update the VIN.

What it can't do is disable stuff, like VAT, airbags and such. Also will not modify the mileage on the odometer except on a new replacement cluster.

Anything in particular you're looking for?

Reactions: Blckshdw

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
What about things like changing RPOs? Example: activating fog light control in an LS BCM.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think that's done through software programming. In other words, it would have to be reloaded with the software for the appropriate model with fogs and with the appropriate BCM. Might need more than just that, such as wiring, relays and such.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
That's the kicker: the wiring is mostly there.
The only thing that's not in place is the right headlight switch (easy drop-in swap), and the wires from the under hood fuse box to the lights themselves. Switch to BCM to Relay wires are all there (the fuse and relay are even in the fuse block!).

Don't want to get off on too specific a tangent here--I guess the more general question is:
You can install brand new modules (e.g. DDMs that haven't been programmed)? I understand that in doing that you go through a whole laundry list of what options are/aren't on the truck. And that's essentially what turns on or off RPOs. Maybe we're talking two different things...

There's a (expensive) subscription service associated with Tech2s but I'm not sure what that gives you access too...?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You basically get the same as the subscription using the old TIS2000 software with the crack (write up on this later). Only problem is that it was discontinued in 2008 and is good up to model year 2007. Apparently you can get the subscription based software for a day or two but I don't know if it will like working with these clones because I think they all have the same serial number and/or is not valid. There might be the possibility of using the newer software (GlobalTIS) but I have to do some more research on this. But for your 2006, you should be OK with TIS2000. I updated all the modules in my Saab, no issues.

BTW, have you tried just adding the switch and see if it activates the relay? Same deal as the cruise control.

Reactions: AtlWrk

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have a question, does it have the ability to do data logging like a tech 2, for example under a random stall where no cel is set, could you log the data to see what the engine saw at that moment?

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yes it can, just like the real ones. Played a little with that and it does work. It should also be able to transfer it to the PC but I haven't tried that yet.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I was a little confused about an above post. Tis2000 is how to update modules and such and that only works till 2007. The tool itself will work on say a 2015 model year though correct?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine came with a 2013 card so it should be able to work with anything up to that year except for updating modules, like you said. Might be able to find a memory card image to update it but it requires a specific type of PCMCIA hardware in old laptops to write the image to the card. When it's available, might be easier to just buy the card if you need it.

I'm still learning how this stuff works. I know there's a program out there that can display and plot the data that was recorded but the Tech 2 will do that on its own.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I am really excited about this product. I will see how this plays out in the thread and look into purchasing one myself. I need to fix the bcm since i did the 4.10 rear end swap. my abs/brake light comes on after about 10 miles of driving every day. I read that the bcm reads the front wheel sensors and the VSS in the transmission and compare them for the abs.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It wouldn't be the BCM but the ABS module itself because it's getting bad readings. I'm not completely sure but I think I saw something somewhere that can program different gears. I know for sure that the tire size can be changed. I'd have to play around with it and go through the menus.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I was looking into it for a while, and I could not get a clear answer as to whether i needed to source a 4.10 abs module or reprogram the bcm. I saw on TV where someone said that they fixed it with a tech 2. I need to fix it though because I am accruing additional mileage. 1.43 to 1 on the miles traveled if my calculations are correct. I will also need to do a mileage correction because It has about 8k miles more than it's supposed too already.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tech 2 can't roll back the mileage. It can only program new clusters. There is another thread in the Other tuners section with a tool that can do that but will set you back a bill and a half and requires taking the cluster apart.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mooseman said:
It wouldn't be the BCM but the ABS module itself because it's getting bad readings. I'm not completely sure but I think I saw something somewhere that can program different gears. I know for sure that the tire size can be changed. I'd have to play around with it and go through the menus.
Now I've had people say you can't change tire size. If you can indeed do that with this I'm sold. [emoji2] well I'm still sold.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen it for my 06 9-7x. Haven't played a lot with it in the 02 TB. But you are limited to a few sizes though, which could have been optional tire sizes.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mooseman said:
Tech 2 can't roll back the mileage. It can only program new clusters. There is another thread in the Other tuners section with a tool that can do that but will set you back a bill and a half and requires taking the cluster apart.
oh i'm aware of that, and I have also been following the other thread. I'm more interested in getting the abs fixed atm. :yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
2006 and newer yes you can change tire sizes and such. The 2002-2005 PCM I know you can't do squat with gear ratios or tire size with any of the aftermarket tuners (like HP Tuners), not sure what limitations there are on that with a Tech2. Obviously the dealer is no help with that part so I think that may be uncharted territory.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I wanna buy one, just because my mod bug thinks it would be a good idea. (although it seems to think that on just about everything) :hopeless:

Since I've got slightly oversized tires, it would be added incentive to get one just so my speedo and odometer would be accurate (moving forward anyway :rolleyes:)

I think there may be enough active members within driving distance (plus guys on SSOwners), that I could possibly soften the financial blow enough to make it worth it for as seldom as I'd use it myself. :undecided:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've also been thinking of whorring myself out, advertising my services on Kijiji, to help pay it off.

Reactions: Mounce

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Mooseman said:
I've also been thinking of whorring myself out, advertising my services on Kijiji, to help pay it off.
You could also have people pay to use your tech 2...lol

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would definitely NOT rent it out. This is MY baby!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I want one so bad, but mod funds are low.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Blckshdw said:
I wanna buy one, just because my mod bug thinks it would be a good idea. (although it seems to think that on just about everything) :hopeless:

Since I've got slightly oversized tires, it would be added incentive to get one just so my speedo and odometer would be accurate (moving forward anyway :rolleyes:)

I think there may be enough active members within driving distance (plus guys on SSOwners), that I could possibly soften the financial blow enough to make it worth it for as seldom as I'd use it myself. :undecided:

Mooseman said:
My Mod bug says get it and use it on tohers to make money... It also then asks if I can use it on the Silverado.... BLAH!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
About all I could use one on is my Astro since I'm assuming they will not work on Obd1 vehicles.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I had also thought about someone offering a rent-a-tool service with one. It'd be cool but you never know who you can and can't trust so I can't blame anyone for not wanting to offer that lol.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it does OBD 1. It comes with different connectors. Of course functionality would be limited compared to OBD 2.

Nothing that old around here for me to test on though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Find a 1994 s10 and try it. [emoji13] If it can in fact do OBD 1 that's great.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a neighbour that has an old Crapalier, not sure if it's older than 1996. I'm working this weekend but next time I spot him, I'll ask.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Hey... I had a cavalier for many years... It was one of my most reliable vehicles... A tank in the snow, I never got stuck.

Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a Cor"sick"a for a number of years that people dissed too and it also worked good. Well, the V6 version anyway because the 4 bangers were POS. It all depends on the car you get. I still believe that cars started on a Friday and finished on a Monday are worst. :badday:

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mine would be on it's way if the payment would go through. It won't.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've bought a few things from Aliexpress, never had a problem. Maybe it doesn't like the particular card you're using?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I used a visa debit and a visa credit, 2 different cards.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thats what I thought last night. No dice. Gonna search.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.