Bedliner

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Grizzly Grip

Heard good things about this stuff and there is a variety of colors. I know some of the offroad guys like to use stuff like this so I thought I would share. Anyone tried it?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Looks like something I may have to look into in the spring. It says the best temperature range to apply it is 60-95 degrees, so that certainly rules out any near future use.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Looks similar to the Herculiner I used. I'm happy with the results.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
What do you guys think the difference is between this stuff, and everything else on the market?

Or is it 6 of one, half dozen of the other?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
If I were doing doing something like this stuff it would be upol Raptor spray kit. I just figured it may help someone looking for colors.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
I'm doing the body work on a friends '89 Toyota Pickup 4WD in my garage. He's doing Chassis Saver on the frame, then I believe the Raptor kit over top of that, because it's ease of use and spray-ability. The Chassis Saver (POR-15 type product) should offer plenty of protection, but he wants overkill. lol

He's doing Herculiner for his bedliner, and since he plans on off roading it from time to time, I talked him into applying it from the body line down along the bottom of his truck. I told him about this Grizzly Grip stuff, because it comes in colors, but he wants to stick with black, and Herculiner is easily available. (most parts stores)

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
JosueLT said:
I'm doing the body work on a friends '89 Toyota Pickup 4WD in my garage. He's doing Chassis Saver on the frame, then I believe the Raptor kit over top of that, because it's ease of use and spray-ability. The Chassis Saver (POR-15 type product) should offer plenty of protection, but he wants overkill. lol

He's doing Herculiner for his bedliner, and since he plans on off roading it from time to time, I talked him into applying it from the body line down along the bottom of his truck. I told him about this Grizzly Grip stuff, because it comes in colors, but he wants to stick with black, and Herculiner is easily available. (most parts stores)

I seem to remember colors being available for Herculiner as well... no matter.

My Herculined fenders have seen some tree trunks. No problem on the finish. The only thing Herculiner seems to dislike is rocks, as my sliders have lost a bunch.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
How's the finish been otherwise? He had some concerns about UV protection, and I know most spray on bedliner materials dull over time.

Being along the bottom of the truck, it's going to get a lot of road debris, dirt, mud, etc. caked on over time....how does it clean up? Does it still look nice and black, or does it become brown over time because of all the crap?

janesy86

Nov 21, 2011
I've also applied it to the side of my truck as well. Holds up good to debris/trees like Donny was saying, but sliders have lost a good amount by using them for what they are meant to do. SO thats to be expected anyway.

As for UV protection, I can't really say. Its a lil duller than it was I suppose when it was first applied. But then again I haven't really washed my truck (once) since it was applied in the last 5-6 months. And from what I remember it was kind of a bitch to clean it nice. Really have to scrub good.

Also I believe they have a UV protectant that can be applied after rolling the product on.

I really wanted to use the Raptor liner kit, but access to a compressor at the time was limited and I got the Herculiner kit 1/2 off. My suggestion for your buddy would be to just do everything in the Raptor liner. No personal experience but from what I've read it hardens a bit more than Herculiner as its a 2 part kit (come with a hardener) so I would think it would possibly clean off a bit better. And you can change the consistency with the compressor so it can be rough or a bit thinner...

Thats just my :twocents:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
I'll pass this info on!

I know we had talked about cost, and the Herculiner is cheaper than Raptor, but he's wanting to do this right the first time, so he may splurge for the better product.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Herculiner says to use the UV protectant if you want the finish to remain glossy. I did not want glossy so no UV protectant for me. It has stayed black but has lost it's shine (exactly what I wanted).

I use an automatic car wash that services large fleet vehicles. They get it clean every time.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
I'm not sure what finish he wants? I know he wants to black out the chrome, but not sure if glossy black, or matte.

Here's the color he's going with.

PrinceValorum said:
...the new color is Sandstorm from the newer FJ Cruisers, plus blacked-out chrome!

3755371554_39e37d1ff5.jpg

I can't wait to take this picture with mine when it's done! :biggrin: (notice how the FJ has 3 wipers, I love the quirkyness of it!)

DSC07629.jpg

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Also, how'd you guys prep your trucks for this?

We're not sure if it's better to apply this over primer, or go ahead and paint the whole truck, then scuff up the new paint and apply. He's gonna call Herculiner and ask on Monday.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
There is an FJ in that second picture? :salivate:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I prefer the rifle to the FJ.

janesy86

Nov 21, 2011
JosueLT said:
Also, how'd you guys prep your trucks for this?

We're not sure if it's better to apply this over primer, or go ahead and paint the whole truck, then scuff up the new paint and apply. He's gonna call Herculiner and ask on Monday.

Directions for the Herculiner are to just scuff up the paint, clean with mineral spirits, wipe clean and then apply the product. Used a 200 grit or so (i think) to scuff. In the kit they supply a scotch bright pad basically. But no priming necessary.

If your doing the Herculiner for any tight spots or cracks, use a brush and dab those spots first then roll it on. Did two coats on mine and still had 1/4 of a can left or so...

Here are some finished pics.

DSC06291.jpg

DSC06292.jpg

DSC06293.jpg

DSC06294.jpg

DSC06295.jpg

DSC06296.jpg

DSC06298.jpg

DSC06299.jpg

DSC06300.jpg

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I had body damage to pound out, so afterwards I took a DA sander with 120grit and took the areas I was doing down to primer. My sliders/bumpers/plastic pieces I did with no prep. They took it well.

Nick took more/better pics of his than I did, plus shows better against his red than my black in photos.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
No discussion of bedliner/Herculiner is complete without a link to the definitive cautionary tale about the Herculined Hootus.

Definitely a classic.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Painful to think about, but still hilarious!!!!

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
janesy86 said:
Directions for the Herculiner are to just scuff up the paint, clean with mineral spirits, wipe clean and then apply the product. Used a 200 grit or so (i think) to scuff. In the kit they supply a scotch bright pad basically. But no priming necessary.

If your doing the Herculiner for any tight spots or cracks, use a brush and dab those spots first then roll it on. Did two coats on mine and still had 1/4 of a can left or so...

Here are some finished pics.

fishsticks said:
I had body damage to pound out, so afterwards I took a DA sander with 120grit and took the areas I was doing down to primer. My sliders/bumpers/plastic pieces I did with no prep. They took it well.

Nick took more/better pics of his than I did, plus shows better against his red than my black in photos.

Thanks for the pics!

And that's probably what I'll do, DA with either 150, or maybe even 80 to save time. I've peeled back some spray on bedliners on trucks at work (after they've been wrecked and are already peeling) and found pretty heavy 80 DA marks.

My concern is, putting it over FRESH paint. I did a F-150 a few months ago at work, had to basically build a new bed because it got hit so hard. But, it had a Line-X, and they had to spray it over the new bed panels. They gave us shit because we painted the inside of the bed, and I guess they don't like to apply it over fresh paint like that? Maybe because the paint is still curing, and it might cause problems with the bedliner drying or peeling off/otherwise failing later on?

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Ahh I see now. Yeah paint cure time could be an issue.

I don't think I'd put it over fresh paint if I was expecting it to see regular use right off the bat. Maybe if you could bake the hell out of it first.

If I had a choice I'd just hit it with some primer and then go to town.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
yeah the cure time is killer on the liners. It can peel everything off easily. We use to spray the liner and let it cure up and then paint the vehicle. In some cases we painted the liner as well.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
fishsticks said:
Ahh I see now. Yeah paint cure time could be an issue.

I don't think I'd put it over fresh paint if I was expecting it to see regular use right off the bat. Maybe if you could bake the hell out of it first.

If I had a choice I'd just hit it with some primer and then go to town.

Every paint job gets baked (at least at my work. I'm not painting the truck, so I don't know what kind of facility the guy has) but it's usually still curing for days/weeks after that. That's why we tell people not to wax their fresh paint for 30 days or so.

djthumper said:
yeah the cure time is killer on the liners. It can peel everything off easily. We use to spray the liner and let it cure up and then paint the vehicle. In some cases we painted the liner as well.

I thought that was going to be the case with this truck. The way we talked, made it seem like we'd put it on before taking the truck to the painter, and letting him paint over it so it was color matched. But, he wants to leave it black for a two tone effect.

The truck is in primer now. I was thinking about just having the painter run a tape line where we're going to stop the Herculiner, we'll have to see what they say on the subject.

Here are some pics!

I always wondered how they shipped items like fenders. Apparently they come in boxes that look like the goodies inside!
IMG_9880.jpg

How the box is secured
IMG_9885.jpg

Rockin out with the new Fender!
IMG_9886.jpg

Test fitting the new fender
IMG_9887.jpg

New tailgate
IMG_9884.jpg

Glass out
IMG_9882.jpg

Omg, heat is the best thing ever!
IMG_9889.jpg

It kind of messes up the paint a little bit
IMG_9890.jpg

Other side of the heated area
IMG_9891.jpg

Old tailgate
IMG_9892.jpg

We eated our Wheaties and took the bed off by ourselves!
IMG_9893.jpg

All nakie!
IMG_9895.jpg

Not a whole lot left
IMG_9898.jpg

Hood stripped and bondo on a big dent
IMG_9903.jpg

Josh stripped the old bondo from a previous repair and put new in its place
IMG_9905.jpg

New patch welded in a rotten hole behind the rear driver side
IMG_9906.jpg

Grinding down the welds
IMG_9909.jpg

Always srs bsns
IMG_9910.jpg

Cleaned up
IMG_9916.jpg

The old rubberized frame protectant did a good job in some areas. I stripped it all with a wire wheel, and the black paint still looks like new. In other areas, not so much, but it all seems to be very solid
IMG_9907.jpg

Yep, the floor isn't textured, that's all junk I wire wheeled off
IMG_9911.jpg

Frame de-scaled
IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9917.jpg

Grade A patch work. The old tab rusted out, and if the patch had a hole in it, you'd never know which one was the one that was replaced.
IMG_9923.jpg

Sanding down the bondo on the rear passenger corner
IMG_9924.jpg

Just like Dexter's kill room
IMG_9927.jpg

All ready for primer
IMG_9929.jpg

It got dark, we worked about 10 hours on it.. It looks so tiny with all of the parts off of it!
IMG_9932.jpg

Full house! (or cave, obviously the stock flash wasn't cutting it and I didn't bring my external)
IMG_9933.jpg

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Josh got the antenna hole shaved the other day. We'll treat the backside against rust before it goes back on the truck.
IMG_9934.jpg

Cab sanded down, still waiting on the stupid glass guy to show up to take the windshield out
IMG_9935.jpg

Roof of the cab stripped, ready for primer
IMG_9936.jpg

Awww yeah, looks brand new. These are the lids on the gas tank
IMG_9937.jpg

It's the lower metal hardline that's leaking. I don't think we'll be able to get the screws out, and obviously the use of heat isn't really recommended. Might just have to get a whole new tank
IMG_9937.jpg

Bed shot in primer, getting ready to sand out the orange peel
IMG_9939.jpg

IMG_9941.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

Shit sucks, that's 113$ worth of supplies…
IMG_9944.jpg

The paint looks awesome on the inside of the door where it was never exposed. I bet this truck looked awesome like 20 years ago…
IMG_9946.jpg

Part of the passenger side rocker Josh pulled out with the stud gun.
IMG_9947.jpg

Sweet portable work light Josh made the other day, I think I'll definitely be copying the idea. It's perfect for a garage where the lighting isn't ideal, and should last a lot longer than those little work lights that seem to have about an hour of bulb life.
IMG_9948.jpg

Hard to see the light it puts out, but maybe you can tell
IMG_9949.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Looking good. Gonna be nice when you get it back together.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks guys. Should be a pretty nice truck once done!

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I would love to build one of those. Every one I looked at was just too far gone though. If they were not protected, the rust takes over. I ended up with a much newer model as my errand runner. It needs a bit of really minor body work and paint. It has 2 dings in the hood, and one on every other panel.... so the whole truck needs to be repainted. I would like to take the bed off and protect the frame though so it doesn't turn in to a giant rust bucket.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Better to do it sooner rather than later!

I guess this truck lived it's life in Colorado until 2003, so that may be why it's not as far gone as Ohio Toyota's. We're discovering some bad spots though, particularly around the windshield frame. The glass guy finally came out and cut the glass out, and there are some big holes and rotted metal that were hidden. He's going to try and find a clean one in a junk yard and see if they can cut out the A-pillars so I can section in better metal instead of putting patches all over the place.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
That sucks, but at least you are doing it right as you can so the truck will last.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
JosueLT said:
Better to do it sooner rather than later!

I guess this truck lived it's life in Colorado until 2003, so that may be why it's not as far gone as Ohio Toyota's. We're discovering some bad spots though, particularly around the windshield frame. The glass guy finally came out and cut the glass out, and there are some big holes and rotted metal that were hidden. He's going to try and find a clean one in a junk yard and see if they can cut out the A-pillars so I can section in better metal instead of putting patches all over the place.

Well that kind of sucks. At least you have the skills to fix it! Why the hell couldn't you be closer?? I am desperate for a good body guy to work on my toys.:frown:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Haha. We definitely seem to be few and far between!

As much as I hate fixing rust like this, I'm appreciative that someone FINALLY put their money where their mouth was, and is actually having me fix their vehicle, instead of wasting my time asking..."How much to paint my bumper?" "How much to paint my car?" "How much to fix that dent?" "Oh, that much? I'll let you know"

Pfft....

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
JosueLT said:
Haha. We definitely seem to be few and far between!

As much as I hate fixing rust like this, I'm appreciative that someone FINALLY put their money where their mouth was, and is actually having me fix their vehicle, instead of wasting my time asking..."How much to paint my bumper?" "How much to paint my car?" "How much to fix that dent?" "Oh, that much? I'll let you know"

Pfft....

:laugh:

I know how that goes. I went to a number of places and had estimates done. Of the three, two just didn't impress me. Shops were a mess, disorganized, employees looked either drunk or hungover. One I went to seemed more professional, but also want $1500 more to do the job and needed the truck for 3 weeks. With such varying estimates I really don't know how much I should be paying. Its just not that easy to find the right place.:frown:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
So how much to fix this tree rub on my truck? :raspberry:

P8240115.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
The beauty of that damage is that my wife did it! She didn't pay attention to me and got to close to a tree when we were out on a simple trail run. I immediately told her that if I had rock sliders in the side of the truck then it they would have kept the tree off the truck. The next day I was able to order them on her insistence! :wootwoot:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I told you it will buff out...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online