Yup, I'm gonna be the guy that asked a wrench size for the job...

EnvoySLE02

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Was wondering why I wasn't getting answers on Trailvoy. First post to GMTnation. Good to be here.

Ok, so kind of a silly question I know. Anyone knows what size wrench I need for the Brake line port nuts at the Master Cylinder? All my wrenches are metric; 14mm flare wrench wont fit, and 15mm flare wrench is loose. I even tried the normal end wrenches (not flare), same thing: 14 is small and 15 is big. The nuts are a bit rusted, but that can't be it, could it?

Any ideas? I thought everything was in metric on these trucks. Do I need a 9/16 SAE size? If I have to buy an SAE wrench, I would rather buy just the one size and not a set, hence the reason I am asking.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome :tiphat:

You would think they'd keep everything consistent, but they don't. Most stuff is metric, but a few things are standard (IIRC the U joint bolts are standard for example).

Try a 9/16". That's in between 14mm and 15mm.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah our trucks are pretty interesting because one bolt is metric and the one next to it is English lol my dad usually buys two pairs of everything he gets metric and English its is easier on me of course but I searched up what your asking and this is the chart I came across and hopefully it helps

Wrench Size And Conversion Table

EnvoySLE02

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Thank you for the quick replys. Harbour Freight has a set of ten SAE sizes flare wrenches for $9.99 that includs 9/16. I'll pick one up on my way home tonight. For that price, beats buying just one and who knows, I might even need an SAE Flare wrench in the future (somehow, I doubt that :rotfl:)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! I might have been the one to invite you. Pretty lonely over there now.

I see you got your answer, but here's a photoshop I did years ago that you might get a chuckle out of anyway:

newbies-wrenches.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Howdy

EnvoySLE02

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
aha, there's the sheldon avatar again :wootwoot: and you managed to post about 2000 posts in 5 monthes. good job :wootwoot:

I haven’t used trailvoy in a while and then only came back on Monday of this week. I only saw the PMs about GMTnation today, but even without those I could tell something was wrong. No one answered my questions, a lot of other posts were unanswered, and I didn't see the Sheldon anywhere in new posts and thought that was strange :smile:

The attachement you added did not load. I have a square with a red X. I'll try it when I go home. Could be the pop-up blocker or something - I am at work.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Hey part of MI are you in?

EnvoySLE02

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
the roadie said:
Welcome! I might have been the one to invite you. Pretty lonely over there now.

I see you got your answer, but here's a photoshop I did years ago that you might get a chuckle out of anyway:

newbies-wrenches.jpg

I can see it now Roadie. Funny. I will have to print and post it on my cube.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online