WTT: MagnaFlow Muffler for OEM

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
i want to go back to oem muffler, anyone who wants to trade my magnaflow + their oem muffler plus a little bit of cash on my side has a done deal. ill get pics if your interested. thanks!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Why do you want to go back to stock? Didn't you keep your stock one also?

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Why do you want to go back to stock? Didn't you keep your stock one also?

i had Midas put it on, and didnt even think id ever want to go back to stock so i let the bastards keep it. bad choice...

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Why do you want to go back to stock? And sidenote, Midas sucks bunch of scumbags always charging for shit not needed. OK I'm done.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm wondering about this too since I was thinking of going to a Magnaflow.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Mooseman said:
I'm wondering about this too since I was thinking of going to a Magnaflow.

:hijack: I recommend Hooker aerochamber for our engines. Ive had mine for a year and love it. Its hardly noticeable when at low rpms, but as soon as you get on the throttle it roars!

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
is this op the guy on the other site that posted a msg for a cop giving him a ticket for having a magnaflow mufller?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
LordBear said:
is this op the guy on the other site that posted a msg for a cop giving him a ticket for having a magnaflow mufller?

loll how do you get a ticket for having that? How loud can it be?

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Yeah that was me. The cops in my town have nothing better to do than to write stupid tickets do this has to go. I personally love it and hate to get rid of hit but I've been pulled over for it twice now.

It's not even loud lol. It has a nice low rumble but isn't loud. At 6rpm it starts to scream. I love it but I'd rather not deal with the police...

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
If your state has a "no louder than stock" law, the burden of proof is on the LEO to justify you are louder than stock. As this is a subjective law, it is possible to keep your exhaust provided an objective test is done (dB test from a fixed distance, stock vs yours). Saying "it sounds like it's louder" with nothing to back it up is very difficult to hold up if you were to fight the ticket. Ask me how I know that last part, lol.

If your state follows the SEMA model (85-95 dB from a fixed distance) as long as you are below that, any further incidents may be looked at as harassment.

Replacing with OEM or OEM equivalent aftermarket is no guarantee. Manufacturing variations in components cause an unequal noise level, even in new vehicles.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
kardain said:
If your state has a "no louder than stock" law, the burden of proof is on the LEO to justify you are louder than stock. As this is a subjective law, it is possible to keep your exhaust provided an objective test is done (dB test from a fixed distance, stock vs yours). Saying "it sounds like it's louder" with nothing to back it up is very difficult to hold up if you were to fight the ticket. Ask me how I know that last part, lol.

If your state follows the SEMA model (85-95 dB from a fixed distance) as long as you are below that, any further incidents may be looked at as harassment.

Replacing with OEM or OEM equivalent aftermarket is no guarantee. Manufacturing variations in components cause an unequal noise level, even in new vehicles.

I have never been able to hear a stock Trailblazer or Envoy I6 exhaust. I don't care how much "manufacturing variation" there is you cannot hear a stock I6 exhaust, end of story. Most any aftermarket muffler will be considerably louder.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Because you cannot hear the exhaust whereas I can (and my exhaust is still all OEM parts), it makes it a subjective comparison and is the basis of the OP's quandry. To make it objective, a side by side test with a dB meter is required.

While an aftermarket exhaust can amplify the exhaust volume (or even just removing the rear res), if done correctly it can also keep the volume at or near to OEM levels.

On edit: By allowing subjectivity to drive a punishment, the law itself is flawed. People hear differently. This can be caused by genetics, environmental influence, accident, whatever. It places burden of proof on the accused (guilty until proven innocent) rather than on the accuser (innocent until proven guilty).

On edit part 2: Several states adopted this model initially, as it provided a hard and fast limit to exhaust noise. Over time though, states have been moving away from this and going with a "no louder than stock". What defines louder than stock? At what RPM? From what distance? At what speed? Compared to a vehicle from where? What if you live in the rust belt and had to replace the exhaust due to environmental decay... you are not modifying it. See the problem with the law?

This is the exact text for Washington state (previously used the 95dB law):

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

The loophole is "muffler originally installed on the vehicle". What is to say that by swapping the OEM muffler with a magnaflow doesn't change the volume? Since the law is implying using your vehicle alone as the point of comparison, if the original muffler has been discarded there is nothing to compare against.

Keep in mind... I am not a lawyer....

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Ace1875 said:
Which aero chamber?

I got the single in dual out. Part # 21518HKR

I have had it for a year and it still sounds like it did when it was new. I can put a sound clip up if ya want.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
I have had it for a year and it still sounds like it did when it was new. I can put a sound clip up if ya want

I am looking for a muffler put one up for me:smile: lol Thanks!

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
03envoy said:
I am looking for a muffler put one up for me:smile: lol Thanks!

The wind is strong today. But it shows that when the car is idling it is silent, but as soon as you put the throttle down its roars. High voltage has the same set up and last i talked to him his still sounds great.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Ok Ill get a curb view of it. Ill post it up tomorrow Im already at work and the wind is horrible tonight.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Heres the videos of both low rpms and higher rpms. My Video camera didnt feel like working today so I was forced to use my phone so I'll apologize in advance for the crappy iphone quality.

High Rpms

Low Rpms

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
hhmm i would say if some one didnt have close dealing with a tb they wouldnt even notice the exhaust except when u punch it... and even then i would think that was well below noise ordinance standards? i hear stock cars all the time louder than that.

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
fireman4215 said:
Heres the videos of both low rpms and higher rpms. My Video camera didnt feel like working today so I was forced to use my phone so I'll apologize in advance for the crappy iphone quality.

High Rpms

Low Rpms

Ummm thanks for the thread jack? Last time I check this was my for sale thread...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online