Wiring up light bar

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I am trying to wire up my light bar, using this 'diagram', the only problem is my lights do not have a ground wire coming out ot them, they only have a power wire. They are just cheap lights I picked up a while ago. So how can I wire them up if there is no ground?
OffRoad TB - View topic - DIY: Offroad Roof Light Bar
wiring.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would imagine they are grounded inside themselves, just to the housing. Depending on the power of the lights, it may be adequate, but you might be able to use a self tapper and att a ground right to housing to ensure a good connection. I wonder how much light those with really put out if they dont require a solid ground?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
As long as their ground attaches to the mounting bolt, you could run a wire to the mounting bar as long as it is metal.

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
just add a ground wire to the screww holding the bulb in thats how mine are grounded

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
As DJones said, they are using the case for the ground and it should get its ground from the mounting point. You can run your ground wire to the light bar and it should work fine.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
So basicly, put a ground wire one the bottom of the light housing, and attach the other end to the bottom of the light bar?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Me007gold said:
So basicly, put a ground wire one the bottom of the light housing, and attach the other end to the bottom of the light bar?

If the bar and all mounting hardware is metal, then all you should need is a ground wire from the light bar going to vehicle ground. I used 2 10awg wires on an aluminum bar, and was running 400 watts through it without problems.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
DJones said:
If the bar and all mounting hardware is metal, then all you should need is a ground wire from the light bar going to vehicle ground. I used 2 10awg wires on an aluminum bar, and was running 400 watts through it without problems.

This is dead on. I'd probably sand the mounting area on the bar a little to ensure a nice, clean ground, install the lights and put a ground from the bar to the relay or vehicle depending on convenience.

You can paint it and pretty it up after. Make sure the grounds are metal-to-metal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online