Winter Tires

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I've passed the TB on to my son, but I'll continue to post here as things happen.

My son has a very steep paved hill leading up to his house. He thinks that the 4WD will sail him right up, even through the uphill 90* turn.

I believe that he should be using winter tires during the snow season. I'm going to try to score a set of steelies to mount the tires so he just has to swap them over.

Two questions: 1) what size and lug diameter should I look for? Would 15's offer a better choice of tire? 2) what tires should we be looking at?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well for one, you'll never get smaller than 16" on a TB (or 17" if yours was a v8 or LWB due tocthe larger brakes).

Lug is 6x5 - a bit hard to find stuff in. You could nab a bunch of spare wheels to use. 02 and maybe 03 used 16" black alloy wheels vs steel for a slightly less gnarly look.

That said, unless his drive is something really crazy, a good set of 3 peak tires would probably suffice? I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my truck now and I have not found anything it wouldn't drive through yet in 4wd. I used to have Firestone Destination AT on my TB and those did really well getting me through crap.

Reactions: Beacon

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's probably enough TB's in yards you could probably get a set of alloys easier than trying to find 4 spares for steelies. 17's are probably also an easy find. Check Craigslist and Marketplace on FB and you should be able to snag a set with winters balanced and ready to go. Happens every off-season when people get rid of their truck during the summer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online