Windshield Wiper Blade Size

DeltonRushing

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I thought I would put this out there for everyone. If you go to any auto parts store to buy new wiper blades you either look it up in the book at the display rack or you ask an employee to look it up for you. Well, I went to get new blades a while back and the book called for 22" blades, I installed the blades and I noticed that it covered more of the windshield than before. One day, it started raining and I turned them on, I noticed the the edge of the windshield on the passenger side wasn't making contact with the blades. So I look in the owners manual for the size and sure enough, all the information in those books and the stores computers are WRONG! The owners manual calls for a 20" blade instead! I replaced it with the right size and the problem was fixed. Hopefully this helps everyone out!

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
DeltonRushing said:
I thought I would put this out there for everyone. If you go to any auto parts store to buy new wiper blades you either look it up in the book at the display rack or you ask an employee to look it up for you. Well, I went to get new blades a while back and the book called for 22" blades, I installed the blades and I noticed that it covered more of the windshield than before. One day, it started raining and I turned them on, I noticed the the edge of the windshield on the passenger side wasn't making contact with the blades. So I look in the owners manual for the size and sure enough, all the information in those books and the stores computers are WRONG! The owners manual calls for a 20" blade instead! I replaced it with the right size and the problem was fixed. Hopefully this helps everyone out!

All I know is that it's not 16"... although I do now have 4 spare blades for the rear wiper...

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I've got 22" waiting for a rainy day in the garage. I bought them because the wipers measured to be 21and some odd inches long with my trusty Stanley tape measure. No one does this anymore? Suppose I should have checked the manual BEFORE going in. Kind of like bringing the burned headlight bulb inside to ensure you are buying the same one? Just pulled the 22"s out of package and they matchup identically to the Bosch wipers already on. Michelin brand. Bought bosch's for the wife same day to run a little not-so scientific test to see which brand I buy next time:yes:

And they work perfect in the worst conditions. I had 3inches of snow on the glass everywhere the wiper doesn't touch. That was cool. It was over 6 inches caked on the entire rear. Driving in WY before they shut down I80. Fun times!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
DeltonRushing said:
So I look in the owners manual for the size and sure enough, all the information in those books and the stores computers are WRONG! The owners manual calls for a 20" blade instead! I replaced it with the right size and the problem was fixed. Hopefully this helps everyone out!

Son of a biscuit.

I'm guilty of following the little application book at walmarts. I'm also guilty of not reading the manual. I noticed that the passenger side blade on the outer edge is the first to tear. Next time I'm getting the 20". Thanks!

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, my '05 used 22" as well (I had a spare set downstairs and I just checked them, 22").

This might be one more thing that was changed as the model years changed.

But, the arms must be different, because the glass didn't change.

With the new rear arm on the '07 trucks, did the blade size change?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
RayVoy said:
With the new rear arm on the '07 trucks, did the blade size change?

07+ use a special blade.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Short Bus said:
07+ use a special blade.
I know, I was just wondering if the length had changed. Not that it makes any difference were talking about the front ones.

I just found an old 20" downstairs, now I'm wondering if there was a 20" and a 22" on the '05. I'll never know, it's long gone.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I couldn't imagine losing any more "unwiped" space on the upper passenger side. 20"? really??

Did the arm length change or what?!? I can imagine a larger shark fin on the middle of the windshield but that was cool before I could spell "drive". I'm half tempted to walk out to garage and throw a 20 on to see the difference.
Rayvoy: fwiw I have always had the same size blades on mine since the day I bought it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
22 works good on the drivers side. Will be going with 20 on the passenger side next time as it hangs over.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
CaptainXL said:
22 works good on the drivers side. Will be going with 20 on the passenger side next time as it hangs over.

Yea it hangs over at rest but hits more glass once its in motion.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012

Attachments

• wiper.jpg
    wiper.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 8

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think that's a 22 if it doesn't hit the edge of the window. You're well short of it.

EDIT: Never mind, I have the 22 and we have the same placement with same clearance to the side of the window. Mine contacts the windshield pretty well. Thought I had a gap but I guess not.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I think quality of the blade and number of bridge/pressure points along the blade help keep it down. I remember some cheapos in college would have trouble staying on the glass in the rain going faster than I probably should have... First class or no class!

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
I barely use my wipers so I don't worry too much about them. Rain-x washer fluid and 30+mph is all it takes for most rain

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Grimor said:
I barely use my wipers so I don't worry too much about them. Rain-x washer fluid and 30+mph is all it takes for most rain
I love the Rain-X washer fluid!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
navigator said:
I love the Rain-X washer fluid!

I've seen the rainX but opted for Prestone bc it had a lower temp rating (washer fluid tank capacity is quite nice! Never really check it) Does the rainX fluid work as well as the spray on stuff that you let haze over then wipe off?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Does the rainX fluid work as well as the spray on stuff that you let haze over then wipe off?

The wipe on stuff that you let dry is best. But if you watch the video you can see that it works. It's more of a convenience thing. I just stock up on the blue stuff in the summer when it's cheapest for less than $1.

[video=youtube;MHc16MPiu4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHc16MPiu4Q[/video]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger