Windows slow moving in the cold!

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Hey everyone i got into my truck just now its 15 degrees outside , pushed the window down to speak with a buddy and it was almost impossible for the window to come back up (driver side) .

I would push up it would move a inch then stop i would let go wait another few seconds then push the button up and it would creep up another inch untill it was up .

Why is it moving so slow in the colder days and what can i go to fix it?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When it is cold, the grease gets thick.
When the grease gets thick, it resists motion.
When it resists motion, it makes it move slower.

Could also be the motor is getting worn with age/use so it doesn't have quite as much oomph as it used to. The stiff window just makes it more apparent.

Was the engine running? If it was just on battery then it will become even more obvious as the voltage is lower so there is less power available to the motor.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Mine are doing the opposite it will go down about two inches and stop, push again, two inches and stop. Going up it goes slow but does not stop. Its never done it before, but its also the coldest its been in a long time.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
my left rear window did this for a bit, just before the window regulator quit.

More Information for ACDELCO 11A23

you can see that the window is operated by a motor, which pulls steel cables. the cables move on pulleys, which start to wobble after a while, when they get too loose, the cable comes off the pulley, and the window stays where it is.

if you have it closed, and it has acted up, leave it up. (until you want to fix it.)

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
The window regulators in the 360's are junk. My SS being my 2nd one. Ive id window issues on both.....cold or warm.

c bausch

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Mine does the same also push the auto down and it stops a bunch of times

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The reason why it stops is because that's how it detects when the window is fully down. When it reaches the end of travel, the motor will pull extra amps. The BCM will detect this and turn it off. When it's cold, it's harder for the motor to move the window so the motor starts pulling more amps and then turned off thinking it's at the end of travel.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mooseman said:
The reason why it stops is because that's how it detects when the window is fully down. When it reaches the end of travel, the motor will pull extra amps. The BCM will detect this and turn it off. When it's cold, it's harder for the motor to move the window so the motor starts pulling more amps and then turned off thinking it's at the end of travel.

Mine is slower in the cold but this was happening in mine yesterday morning -21c, I thought the auto down feature was broken. Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online