Window Tint??

Jeremy

Mar 28, 2012
crazy prices that some of y'all have paid!!!!

my fronts were $50 total (lifetime warranty) and they came to me and did it in the parking lot of my work while I watched them out the window.... lol

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Hawaii is 35% legal all around on cars, SUV's Trucks and Vans anything behind the driver you can spray paint black if you want. I went with 5% over factory on all the rear glass, 20% on the front 2 (like Fischer said, can't really notice too much of a difference from 20 to 35. I can, but cops can't) and I did 50% on the windshield. That's straight illegal but it helps with glare from the sun, blocking some heat, and gives the truck a much better look from the front. Not too noticeable but it darkens it up a little

jham

Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
At least your states let you have front tint...mine doesn't let us have anything on the front :frown:

you can have a 4" strip on the front windows in Michigan. Looks like hell when you see people with it

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
jham said:
you can have a 4" strip on the front windows in Michigan. Looks like hell when you see people with it

4" is to small, I have 10-11" (I know a joke is coming on this one)

P1000391.jpg

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Damn that seems really low lol. I used to have about a 6" strip, went to right above the mount for the rear view. Idk to me your strip looks too much, like you wanted to tint half the windshield but only went up to there haha

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
Is no one talking about the type of tiny to use?? Autozone has cheap dye based tint that turns purple in one year. A tint shop will charge anywhere from $50-$100 per window to remove the tint and it's adhesive, on top of what the tint costs.

U need to get a good quality non dye based tint.
My front windows where tinted back in 2004 a week after I bought my TB brand new.

Those Walmart and autozone tints will turn purple, bubble up, peel and look like crap. Trust me I have seen many turn purple even after I asked them to get better tint.

You need quality tint on windows that will be used a lot, front windows.
You will put some abuse on it and the adhesive needs to be in par with the amount of use and abuse u r gonna put on it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
jham said:

yeah I know that, but like you said it looks like crap so pretty much we are allowed nothing in the front lol

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Ace1875 said:
A tint shop will charge anywhere from $50-$100 per window to remove the tint and it's adhesive
Or, you can go to Walmart and buy a tint removal kit for $14 and take it off yourself. (about 25 minutes per window)

- been through that with a used car I bought once.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
For tint removal I just use a black trash bag cut to the shape of the window and simple green. Spray the simple green on the inside of the window and soak it, place the trash bag over it so it can't evaporate. Let it sit in the sun for about an hour and the tint peels right off with 95% of the glue

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Is no one talking about the type of tiny to use?? Autozone has cheap dye based tint that turns purple in one year. A tint shop will charge anywhere from $50-$100 per window to remove the tint and it's adhesive, on top of what the tint costs.

U need to get a good quality non dye based tint.

Just so noone gets confused when shopping around, there is nothing wrong with dyed tint. It is the most commonly used tint especially on newer cars. What you don't want is CHEAP dyed tint. The cheap dyed tint is the tint that turns purple in a few years. It is also thinner than the better quality stuff. High quality dyed tint will hold up great without discoloring.

bmartinezx3

Apr 6, 2012
here is my TB with 5%(limo) over stock tint(around 20%) all around except front two. ends up being less than 1% all around and 20% on the front two with a 5% strip on the windshield. you can't see through my back windows from outside even on the sunniest day and your eyes up to the window :cool: . I'm happy so far, but i want my front two darker(5%) and at least 45% on front windshield.View attachment 20752

Attachments

• tb at LS.jpg
    tb at LS.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
Voymom said:
I'm wanting to tint the front windows, and was wondering if anyone has done the DIY tinting with the stuff you can get from wally world? If so how was it to apply, and did it hold up? I will probably do 35% it's not dark enough for me honestly but it's illegal just the same lol

I used Gila brand tint on my TB, its been on for well over 2 years with no scratches, peeling, or discoloring. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. :raspberry:

I have 20% over the factory tint in the rear, and 20% on the front windows. I also put a 5% strip over the top of the windshield, it helps a lot with the sun. I agree with most of the people here, its a PITA.

it is extremely time consuming, you have to cut the film, and squeegee the hell out of it to remove all the air bobbles.

having said that, I would absolutely NOT do it again! :no::no:

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
bmartinezx3 said:
here is my TB with 5%(limo) over stock tint(around 20%) all around except front two. ends up being less than 1% all around and 20% on the front two with a 5% strip on the windshield. you can't see through my back windows from outside even on the sunniest day and your eyes up to the window :cool: . I'm happy so far, but i want my front two darker(5%) and at least 45% on front windshield.View attachment 6599

:eek::eek: I had 5% on my front windows and looking out at night it was almost as if the windows were painted black. I ended up driving home the first night in the middle of winter with my windows down, I pulled it off the next day!

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
YOUNG said:
bmartinez said he only had 20% on the front and 5% put on the back

Yes, but he also said he wanted to go 5% on the front windows and 45% on the windshield.

I ended up with 20% on the fronts, matches the factory tint quite well, but the windshield now seems pretty light. Thinking about a strip for the windshield and some more tint on the back seat and rear cargo area windows, probably will leave the back glass stock so I can still see to back up at night.

bmartinezx3

Apr 6, 2012
I was nervous too about not being able to see out of my rear window but honestly as long as you dont live in a really rural area, the lights around will give you enough vision for your endeavors. specially once you get on any major street, because all of the headlights and street lights will help you out. the only problem that i sometimes have is backing out of my driveway at night, but even then the oncoming car's headlights should warn me. 5% over stock is prolly too much for people but i think 20 or 25% over stock should be fine. 20%(stock)x25%(film)=5%

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
5% is dark and it is hard to see at night backing up for sure. I have the factory 20% and that is hard enough sometimes loll But I personally say stay away from tinting the windshield, it will be a PITA when you come across a turn or mile without street lights. Even with HID's it will still be tough but thats just me maybe :twocents: Only thing I have to say about front tints to be 5% (remember factory for front is 70%) is at night all you will see is headlights. So those random people that run at night or walking is what you would look out for!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online