NEED HELP Will not go into any gear

Oldschool

Original poster
May 18, 2020
Tennessee
I recently bought a 2002 GMC Envoy. The lady told me the transmission was out. She said it had no prior problems with it (tranny) hadnt slipped or anything.until she pulled up to check her mail ,put it in park ,and when pulled it back into drive it went no where as if in neutral. She pulled it back to her yard where it sat untouched for approximately 4 or 5 weeks.
I came , started the engine and for the heck of it , pulled it in reverse .....it took reverse , i placed back in park , pulled it back to reverse , it took , pulled it into drive it took , pulled it back to reverse and backed up out of the drive way ( up hill btw) , pulled it to drive and drove approximately 25 yrds , where i went to turn around and pulled it back into reverse ....it did not take nor no other gear at this point ....as if in neutral again .
The truck takes park fine , starts fine and all .....

Any suggestions will certainly be appreciated.
Thanks;
Oldschool

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Have you checked the tranny fluid level? Did you try revving the engine some while in gear to see if it would pop into gear?

Almost sounds as if the tranny is empty on fluid.

Oldschool

Original poster
May 18, 2020
Tennessee
Have you checked the tranny fluid level? Did you try revving the engine some while in gear to see if it would pop into gear?

Almost sounds as if the tranny is empty on fluid.
Yes, i rev'd it , to no avail. Fluid levels are fine ...looks like it needed changing, but the level was fine.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

If your 4L60E non-shifting in your 2 Wheel Drive (I know... the Vehicle here is a 4WD) has similar symptoms that align with those of the VOP (Video Original Poster)... Please read Deep into the comments section for some good ideas and input on what the problem(s) might be:

Last edited:

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Ck the shift cable connection at the transmission also. Usually just breaks but easy ck and repair if thats the problem

Oldschool

Original poster
May 18, 2020
Tennessee
Hello all ,just an update on my 2002 Envoy and its transmission troubles.
Tollkeeper , thank you as yes allot of the time it is NOT. some strange "outta the box " scenerio , its pure ans simple common

Oldschool

Original poster
May 18, 2020
Tennessee
Sence.... The transmission wouls not go into ANY gear because the fluid and filter had never been changed and it was so gummed up and the filter so stopped up even the old fluid could not flow therefore nothing about this automatic transmission could function ...at all!! So long story short i bought this 2002 ENVOY , loaded , good tires cold air , leather seats ....for $350.00 because it would not take gear. Brought it home and talked to you guys a little about it , changed the fluid and filters and have been driveing it ever since.
Hope everyone had a blessed day God speed....
Oldschool

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is excellent news! I never heard of something like that happening before. It must have been really really bad. Just to say how important regular maintenance is. You should also do all the other fluids, especially the transfer case, which have been known to die without their relatively short 50k mile recommended maintenance.

Oldschool

Original poster
May 18, 2020
Tennessee
That is excellent news! I never heard of something like that happening before. It must have been really really bad. Just to say how important regular maintenance is. You should also do all the other fluids, especially the transfer case, which have been known to die without their relatively short 50k mile recommended maintenance.
Well the tranny is giving me trouble again , it shifted just fine after the fluid and filter change for a little while but now will not shift into 3rd or 4th ......pulls and shifts fine in 1st and 2nd . I dropped the pan and pulled both shift selonoids, tested them with a 9v battery and both checked good . (They both clicked anyway) any suggestions as to my next move??
Thank you all in advance
OLDSCHOOL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online