Wierd steering sound

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hey there all..

I have noticed recently that when I'm turning slowly, - parking lot for example - I tend to hear a strange squeegee (sp?) sound coming from the steering column. I did some research - didn't find much on here - and found a few threads on the OS concerning this issue. A few people have removed some PS fluid and poured an additive to the PS reservoir and the noise goes away.

I was thinking of removing as much fluid as I can using a turkey baster, refill with fresh fluid and move the steering wheel to both stops a few times to mix the fluid up. I'll do this a few times until I can get as much of the old fluid out as possible. I would then remove a small amount and pour the additive in. Does this sound right>

My question is, has anyone here come across this squeegee sound when turning at very slow speeds?

Thanks for any advice you guys/gals can give. :thumbsup:

Miles: 81,xxx miles
Maintenance: regular oil and fluid changes (apart from PS fluid).

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
woody79 said:
Hey there all..

I have noticed recently that when I'm turning slowly, - parking lot for example - I tend to hear a strange squeegee (sp?) sound coming from the steering column. I did some research - didn't find much on here - and found a few threads on the OS concerning this issue. A few people have removed some PS fluid and poured an additive to the PS reservoir and the noise goes away.

I was thinking of removing as much fluid as I can using a turkey baster, refill with fresh fluid and move the steering wheel to both stops a few times to mix the fluid up. I'll do this a few times until I can get as much of the old fluid out as possible. I would then remove a small amount and pour the additive in. Does this sound right>

My question is, has anyone here come across this squeegee sound when turning at very slow speeds?

Sounds like your power steering pump is slowly walking out the door. We just had to replace mine about a month ago. We heard a high pitched whistle from the engine compartment when stepping on the gas, whether in park or driving down the road.

The whine your hearing makes me think back to my old buick rendezvous that sounded like a constipated cow when I turned really slow tight circles. But it came from the rear end somewhere.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
woody79 said:
Hey there all..

I get that same sound some times, very quite, if the radio is on or the fan is high you'd never hear it. It hasn't worried me, and seeing its coming from the steering column inside the cabin I doubt it's the power steering pump, but that being said I don't know what it is.

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:
Sounds like your power steering pump is slowly walking out the door. We just had to replace mine about a month ago. We heard a high pitched whistle from the engine compartment when stepping on the gas, whether in park or driving down the road.

The whine your hearing makes me think back to my old buick rendezvous that sounded like a constipated cow when I turned really slow tight circles. But it came from the rear end somewhere.

This is why I love this site so much. People respond so much quicker here. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

The idea of my PS pump on its way out never occurred to me. My truck is an '08 and has 81,xxx miles on it. Can the pump be on its way out already? Wouldn't surprise me come to think about it.

I only here the noise when steering slowly. It isn't so much a whine. It almost sounds just like noise you get when using a squeegee to clean a window (that's the best way I can think of describing it).

As for the constipated cow sound ... first time I've heard a noise from a car described that way! :rotfl: :raspberry:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Mines an 07 with 78000km and I've lost a lot of PS pumps over the years but never had one I could hear inside the cabin from the column. I wonder what it is?

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Mines an 07 with 78000km and I've lost a lot of PS pumps over the years but never had one I could hear inside the cabin from the column. I wonder what it is?

Found this thread on the OS

Steering squeegee - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Seems like people had luck with this:

#02-02-35-006B: Squeak, Rub/Scrub Type Noise in Steering Column (Lubricate Upper Intermediate Shaft Serration (Slip) Joint and Remove Material from Upper Intermediate Shaft Bushing) - (Mar 17, 2006)

Subject: Squeak, Rub/Scrub Type Noise in Steering Column (Lubricate Upper Intermediate Shaft Serration (Slip) Joint and Remove Material from Upper Intermediate Shaft Bushing)

Models: 2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2002-2003 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL

2002-2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

Some people also had luck just adding an additvie like

Buy Lucas Oil Products Power Steering Stop Leak 10011 at Advance Auto Parts

I think I will take the cheaper route first and change the PS fluid. Does anyone have a guideline as to how often/frequent this fluid should be changed?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
We had noise in the cabin when we bought our 03 with 113k miles. My PS pump went out 6 weeks after I bought the truck. But we also replaced our t-stat and a few other things before that too. Just got in it one day and couldn't steer without literally standing up in the truck for leverage. Our trucks can be wolves in sheeps clothing, the thing you would least expect to take a crap will more than likely take a crap 20k+ miles sooner than expected. Not saying it's 100% the PS pump, just saying don't be surprised if you get in it one day and can't steer it. Just my opinion!

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:
We had noise in the cabin when we bought our 03 with 113k miles. My PS pump went out 6 weeks after I bought the truck. But we also replaced our t-stat and a few other things before that too. Just got in it one day and couldn't steer without literally standing up in the truck for leverage. Our trucks can be wolves in sheeps clothing, the thing you would least expect to take a crap will more than likely take a crap 20k+ miles sooner than expected. Not saying it's 100% the PS pump, just saying don't be surprised if you get in it one day and can't steer it. Just my opinion!

I appreciate your opinion. I did read your posts when you had your PS pump issues. Can't imagine what its like trying to steer without PS :eek:I didn't mean to come across as though I was ruling out the PS Pump. At this point I am not ruling anything out.

I can defiantly see how things on our trucks go when you least expect them. I had my SAIS pump sh*t the bed along with the hose's for it and air check valve, just when it was due to be inspected. This was just around the time when I found this site. Wish the issue had come up sooner so I could trouble shoot it myself. As it was I had to let the shop try and 'fix' it as I didn't have the time. I learned a valuable lesson then, always make sure to take my truck in at the beginning of the month to get the inspection done. That way if there are issues, you have the rest of the month to tackle them. I kind of left it to the last minute, then had the SAIS issue and also had to replace tires and the front pads and rotors.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
woody79 said:
I appreciate your opinion. I did read your posts when you had your PS pump issues. Can't imagine what its like trying to steer without PS :eek:I didn't mean to come across as though I was ruling out the PS Pump. At this point I am not ruling anything out.

I can defiantly see how things on our trucks go when you least expect them. I had my SAIS pump sh*t the bed along with the hose's for it and air check valve, just when it was due to be inspected. This was just around the time when I found this site. Wish the issue had come up sooner so I could trouble shoot it myself. As it was I had to let the shop try and 'fix' it as I didn't have the time. I learned a valuable lesson then, always make sure to take my truck in at the beginning of the month to get the inspection done. That way if there are issues, you have the rest of the month to tackle them. I kind of left it to the last minute, then had the SAIS issue and also had to replace tires and the front pads and rotors.

No, I know you haven't ruled it out yet, I just didn't want you to go ripping and tearing into a PS pump change if it wasn't needed, although that is typically how I myself learn to do things on my own...even though it is usually a hard lesson learned in these trucks :biggrin:

I originally joined the :lipsrsealed: site asking questions and I just got treated like a noob because I was and still am trying to learn to do things on my own...but I always got the ring around until I came here, and I came here in the nick of time because my T-stat was running stuck or at least opening prematurely and had I not found this awesome place I'd probably be drilling the insides of my cat converter out from a clog. The PS pump was a no brainer, hubby said it went out on him on his way home from work at 6am ad I asked how he knew, he told me to jump in it, and obviously I didn't even make it out of my driveway lol I did manage to drive it like that for a day and a half right after I had undergone umbilical hernia surgery. We changed those 2 things out, the t-stat and the PS pump, and it ran fine until my better half put in some engine restore which caused my CPAS to gunk up like all hell, throwing codes, stalling and well the works. I never had a car I cared enough about to do more than just an oil change on lol that is of course until I got the Envoy, that truck is my baby!!

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I seem to have solved my steering whine, at least for now. Used the turkey baster to take out some ugly black fluid and replaced with Lucas. Took a day to work in but sounds great now, well no sounds actually :smile:
ae744237-c809-7b06.jpg

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
I seem to have solved my steering whine, at least for now. Used the turkey baster to take out some ugly black fluid and replaced with Lucas. Took a day to work in but sounds great now, well no sounds actually :smile:
ae744237-c809-7b06.jpg

Thanks man. I will give this a try soon. I've just been living with the noise for the past few years.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I' m going to change my fluid as I have that same feeling in the steering wheel too just as you described. Does anyone know how much ps fluid the 5.3 takes? I know it's more than the I6. I bought a liter will I have enough?

Thanks.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I' m going to change my fluid as I have that same feeling in the steering wheel too just as you described. Does anyone know how much ps fluid the 5.3 takes? I know it's more than the I6. I bought a liter will I have enough?

Thanks.

How do I change the ps fluid? Turkey baster method or is there another way? Will 1 liter be enough?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember reading on the OS somebody doing it this way (or something like that):

1. Suck as much fluid out with a turkey baster
2. Place a lot of rags under the PS pump
3. Disconnect the return hose from the reservoir (expect some fluid leakage)
4. Cap the return hose nipple on the reservoir
5. Connect a long hose to the return line and place the other end into a large container (i.e. 4L/1gal container)
6. Fill the reservoir with new fluid
7. Have an assistant start the engine and slowly turn the wheels from side to side
8. As the fluid goes down, keep topping up the reservoir and watch the fluid going into the container
9. When the fluid is running clear into the container, stop the engine
10. Disconnect the long hose from the return line
11. Quickly remove the cap and reconnect the return hose to the reservoir and clamp properly
12. Start the engine and turn the wheels from side to side several times to expel any air
13. Top up the reservoir

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mooseman said:
I remember reading on the OS somebody doing it this way (or something like that):

1. Suck as much fluid out with a turkey baster
2. Place a lot of rags under the PS pump
3. Disconnect the return hose from the reservoir (expect some fluid leakage)
4. Cap the return hose nipple on the reservoir
5. Connect a long hose to the return line and place the other end into a large container (i.e. 4L/1gal container)
6. Fill the reservoir with new fluid
7. Have an assistant start the engine and slowly turn the wheels from side to side
8. As the fluid goes down, keep topping up the reservoir and watch the fluid going into the container
9. When the fluid is running clear into the container, stop the engine
10. Disconnect the long hose from the return line
11. Quickly remove the cap and reconnect the return hose to the reservoir and clamp properly
12. Start the engine and turn the wheels from side to side several times to expel any air
13. Top up the reservoir

Thanks Mooseman, that all makes sense to me, this is the next thing I'll be doing to the Envoy...:thumbsup:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
How do I change the ps fluid? Turkey baster method or is there another way? Will 1 liter be enough?

The bubba way I do it is a few suck and fills using the turkey baster. Suck out what you can, add fresh fluid, drive around the block, repeat. I do that three times. If you use clear containers, you'll see the fluid getting progressively cleaner with each attempt.

This stopped the noise in the PS pump in my wife's Honda.

silversho

Feb 26, 2012
I am doing the power steering pump replacement later today, just wondering if I should get the pump with or without the reservoir? I just got back from driving to and from Chicago, and the 18 point turnabouts without p/s sucks!! Any info would be great!! Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can get with or without the reservoir but it's not a biggie to transfer it from the old pump to the new one. I just installed one yesterday. It's an ACDelco reman without the reservoir from Amazon. RockAuto also has a good selection with and without. You will need the special pulley puller/installer tool either way.

silversho

Feb 26, 2012
Well, replaced the old worn out pump with a Dorman reman from O'Reilly. The TB now turns again!! Really simple replacement. Thanks for the info!!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I'm gonna attempt to do the turkey baster method today and had a couple questions. Should the level be checked when fluid is cold or hot? Should I remove the fluid when its cold or hot? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I'm gonna attempt to do the turkey baster method today and had a couple questions. Should the level be checked when fluid is cold or hot? Should I remove the fluid when its cold or hot? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks.

My owner's manual says to check the fluid when the engine compartment is cool. YMMV.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I don't know if it makes a difference. My thought, fluids flow better when hot, they thin out and any crap in the reservoir just might be suspended in the fluid and not settled to the bottom. That's my hypothesis anyway.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Denali n DOO said:

Thanks.

I'd remove it when hot, as the fluid expands somewhat then and you should be able to get more old stuff out, plus any crap that is in the pump should get mixed up and more would be removed.

As for when to check it, the PS fluid cap "dip stick" has marks for both cold or hot, AFAIR. I personally do the hot check, as that's where it is while driving.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.