Why is the LS engine so good??

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Found this to be informative and interesting...Mike.

Reactions: dmanns67

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
GM did it good when they engineered this engine.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
This was a little too long to watch the whole thing. But what I did see was interesting. So if he talked about the history of it I missed it. One of things that make this engine so good is over 60 years of engineering have gone into it. Granted it's not your father's small block V8. But every generation had improvements, and everything has been a learning experience for the engineers.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I mean it's just the heads... the rest is based off of sbcs and aftermarket hop ups. Make it breathe and it'll be faster. :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember reading somewhere that the LS shares nothing with the SBC. The lifters being under the head is also very different.

Reactions: northcreek

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
Actually, the lifters themselves are interchangeable with a SBC.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I remember reading somewhere that the LS shares nothing with the SBC. The lifters being under the head is also very different.
I totally agree, the guy mentions the many improvements over the old small/big blocks of old.I mean it's not even a "V" it's a "Y" block.
I thought the part about the stock intake manifold being superior to the after market stuff was eye opening too.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm just going off of principal. It's still based off of a sbc. Push rod ohv engine. It's very well designed and optimized for what it needs to do. Technology wise the atlas was light years ahead of it when it first debuted. By 05 it was about the same.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
If I'm reading this correctly, it makes the point both ways :undecided: Mike.
LS based GM small-block engine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GM small-block engine
Overview
Manufacturer
General Motors
Production 1997–present
The GM small-block engine family is an engine design intended as the primary V-8 engine used in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. The GM small-block series was a "clean sheet" design with only the rod bearings and bore spacing in common in terms of shared parts and dimensions with the classic Chevrolet small block V8. The basic layout owes a good deal to the essential concept of Ed Cole's original small-block design of 1954-55, though the small-block engine also uses design cues from Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac engines. Some small-block engines are all-aluminium, especially the performance oriented engines, while others use cast iron blocks. The aluminum block engines use cast iron cylinder liners.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online