Who thinks it's time for a Timing Belt change?

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Just bought a new car and decided I should change the timing belt since the previous owner had no idea when or even if the belt had ever been changed. Take a look at what I found when I tore into it.

I think it's the original belt with 147,000 miles on it. Dodged a bullet on this one.

View attachment 19087

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I mean its still your call...haha change that ASAP!!!

(For a sec I thought you were talking about a belt on an I6 and was a little confused as they dont have belts! :raspberry:)

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
The timing belt and brakes are the first two done on any used car I buy. Brakes are a big one. I never know what idiot put them on. :rotfl:

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Wow! Good call on checking/replacing it.:yes::cool:

I forgot to mention that this is an interference motor. If the belt gave up the ghost, bye bye motor!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Juicy K said:
The timing belt and brakes are the first two done on any used car I buy. Brakes are a big one. I never know what idiot put them on. :rotfl:

Brakes are highly overrated in my opinion :biggrin:

Good call on changing the timing belt.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Mark20 said:

I hate when I find out I'm wrong. Would it be a worthwhile mod to just delete my brakes? I mean that is just a bit of weight that could increase my 1/4mile time. :crackup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I never change timing belts.

...Because I never will buy a car with one. They are the most retarded thing ever, IMO, particularly on an interference motor. Chains only! I don't care if they are "noisier" I care about reliability. A friend of mine had a civic that snapped its belt and caused instant engine death, and the belt wasn't technically through half its life yet.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
Just bought a new car and decided I should change the timing belt since the previous owner had no idea when or even if the belt had ever been changed. Take a look at what I found when I tore into it.

I think it's the original belt with 147,000 miles on it. Dodged a bullet on this one.

View attachment 4394

Someone else hangs out on PassatWorld..!!

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:

:thumbsup: I agree we spend so much time and money trying to get them going, why stop.:undecided: :rotfl:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ScarabEpic22 said:
(For a sec I thought you were talking about a belt on an I6 and was a little confused as they dont have belts! :raspberry:)
When you read "all new posts", it's easy to neglect to notice when you're in an off-topic forum. :biggrin:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
:eek:

We're 10,000 miles past the 100k service interval for the t-belt on our 2005 Saturn L300 (which has the same 3.0l V6 that was the focus of a recall on the Cadillac Catera because of the timing belt/tensioner!). Im really putting the timing belt off, but when I see a pic like that it reminds me I have to get my butt in gear before it snaps... :hissyfit:

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I just finished changing the belt and all related parts. I think it was the original belt. Every part had the audi symbol cast into it (it has an audi motor). It even had a water pump with a plastic impeller that was phased out in 2004.

View attachment 19155

Attachments

• IMG_20120220_211839.jpg
    IMG_20120220_211839.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online