Which motorcycle to start riding, again!

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
I’ve been thinking about riding again. Road several on the dirt and road over the years, but haven’t road for about 18 years now. Been thinking about a used HD Dyna super glide. I know it’ll be different then the last bike I road regularly, which was a Gpz 550. I’m confident the heavier bike + extra HP won’t be an issue. I’ve road sportsters, and an older CB750 (neither were mine) with success. Anyway, the Dyna is a great looking bike.

Right now my only inhibitor is it sure rains a lot here, the later part of my riding years were in San Diego, CA, a lot more riding days there.
Any other bike suggestion for a guy 6’ 3” 250lbs? Keep in mind I like the classic look.
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
I haven't riden in years and years, when I rode I had a 1972 Kawasaki 350 triple, it sure was a fun bike in it's day. I like the HD's for sure but I also gotta say the Yamaha V-max is a really nice ride :thumbsup:
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
Denali n DOO said:
I haven't riden in years and years, when I rode I had a 1972 Kawasaki 350 triple, it sure was a fun bike in it's day. I like the HD's for sure but I also gotta say the Yamaha V-max is a really nice ride :thumbsup:

Yes, the old bikes were fun, and simple too. I had a "71" Yamaha Enduro 360 way back when, it latested me and my younger brother forever.

VMAX looks nice althought the V Star 950 or Silverado would be more me.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
"Rains a lot" means modern sport/ST radial tires, IMO. As long as tires are warmed up, we don't even really slow down when it starts raining in the mountains.

Your GPZ550 was as fast as any of the big Harleys. Except for the V-Rod and Street Rod, they mostly all run 25 year old bias ply technology tires, that suck in the rain. The only thing that makes Harleys ride semi-OK in the rain is the fact that they're so damned heavy, have so little power, such piss-poor brakes, and such little cornering clearance.

IMO, if you like the round headlight, non-fared look, find a used Suzuki SV650, put some Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires on it, and put a bunch of miles on it.

Mike
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
gmcman said:
Are you leaning towards full-fairing or half-fairing/naked?
Windshield and bags is about it.

Visited Sound Harley the other day, the Switchback fiit like a glove.
 

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
The switchbacks are sweet, hard to find a good comparison between the Honda Interstate, Yamaha Roadliner etc...I'm a Honda guy but the Roadliner is nice, the Interstate wheels are too boring.

That's a tough choice when you already like the Switchback...I think the Suzuki Boulevard M109 is a beast but it's definately hefty, doesn't really follow the classic lines though but it's super cool.

Harley legacy, engine vs. likely more reliable Japanese bike. The newer HD's are much better though, I definately want one in the future after the kids grow up.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
jbones said:
Windshield and bags is about it.

Visited Sound Harley the other day, the Switchback fiit like a glove.

Well, at least the Switchback model has a larger section width front tire, even if it only has 1 front brake to stop an 800# bike. still the 25 year old bias ply tires that are horrible in the rain, though.

Mike
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
Bartonmd said:
Well, at least the Switchback model has a larger section width front tire, even if it only has 1 front brake to stop an 800# bike. still the 25 year old bias ply tires that are horrible in the rain, though.

Mike
Only 718lbs, lol. Riding in the rain, not for me, I'll be one of those fair weather/recerational riders, and rely on my other vehicle for rain.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
jbones said:
Only 718lbs, lol. Riding in the rain, not for me, I'll be one of those fair weather/recerational riders, and rely on my other vehicle for rain.

+40# of fuel ("in running order" means with oil, filter, brake fluid, etc., but with only a splash, if any, fuel in it) = ~760#.

There are 2 of us at my house, and we have 2 cars, 1 SUV, 1 truck, and a bike. If you put any miles on, especially in the PNW, you WILL ride in the rain. With this bike, you will really want to rely on your car for the lion's share of your rain riding, though, because as I said, they're seriously not great in the rain. I'm not sure why they even put bias ply tires on anything any more, given the leaps and bounds that radials have made in the last 20 years (they were better than bias plys when they came out, and they're ~3-4 generations better than they were even in 2003-2004)...

It's obvious that your mind is made up, for whatever reason, and you don't have to justify it to me or anybody else. You can't ever justify an hobby, anyway... Having said that, you live in a GREAT place to RIDE in the mountains, and I'd really hate to see you pick a bike that's best suited to cruising in northern Indiana or Iowa, without riding anything else. I mean, if you just want to do poker runs, bar-hop, and putt around, they really are good for that. Please, please, please, at least ride a modern American, Japanese, or European "standard" type bike or 3, before you throw down that kind of cash on something that's going to be a real hinderence if you find out that you like RIDING rather than CRUISING. If you just want "american", then the Buell Lightning or Ulysses are great bikes (the latter being the more comfortable of the 2). And if you do end up buying the Switchback, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get the ABS model! I'm serious about bias plys sucking in the rain, and ABS is about the best way to at least somewhat combat that in a panic stop, especially if you get caught in the start of a rain and all the oil from the road is floating at the top.

Mike
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
Bartonmd;71708It's obvious that your mind is made up said:
I wouldn't say my minds made up, a new Switchback is more than I need to spend for my return. I'm sure I'll be looking for a good used bike. Perhaps a used Dyna custom, maybe I will get lucky and find a nice used Dyna sport (nice). Who knows maybe a $3000 rice burner, and in a year trade in for a HD. I’ve got plenty of time to look around, or before I can even test ride anything, the next safety class for endorsement that I can get into is mid July.

But yes, my intention is poker runs, puttin around, and riding to work when it’s not raining. Bar hopping, no thanks.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
I see a Harley and figure the old-timer is compensating for something... You can get a better bike for less than a HD.
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
HARDTRAILZ said:
I see a Harley and figure the old-timer is compensating for something... You can get a better bike for less than a HD.

:rotfl: I thought it was short guys with big trucks.

HARDTRAILZ said:
You can get a better bike for less than a HD.

Any recommendations?
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
jbones said:
:rotfl: I thought it was short guys with big trucks.



Any recommendations?

Depends if the truck is just big to be big or if it gets used....
There is nothing a harley can do that other bikes cant.

I would be looking at the V-star or VTX for what it sounds like you want to do.

Mike knows bikes and had several good suggestions as well.
 

davenay67

Member
Jan 16, 2012
217
jbones said:
:rotfl: I thought it was short guys with big trucks.



Any recommendations?

Buell....HD engines (mostly) and a much better package of frame and brakes.

Triumph is my particular favourite. Great build quality, old-world Brit charm and good performance.

BMW....great but costly.

The Japanese make awesome bikes, but their cruiser lines (for the most part look cheesy). Yamaha's Star line recognised this and is trying to distance itself as a independany alternative.

Victory....100% American and so much better than HD.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
jbones said:
Any recommendations?

- Buell Ulysses
- Buell Lightning (any aluminum frame Buell is largely OK. The steel frame Buells were literally Sportster engines, and were unreliable as hell. Aluminum frame Buells replaced a lot of the parts that fail with functional ones, so it's "like a Sportster engine")
- Kaw ZRX1100/1200
- Triumph Speed tripple
- Honda VTX-series
- Kaw cruisers
- Honda Nighthawk 750
- Kaw Verses 650
- Kaw Z1000
- Suzuki SV650
- Suzuki SV1000
- Aprilia Tuono
- Ducati Monster (Hell, a lot of the Ducatis are cheaper than Harleys!)
- Ducati Diavel (REALLY cool, and REALLY capable "cruiser")

There are a bunch more I don't care to sit and think up...

Mike
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
Bartonmd said:
- Buell Ulysses
- Buell Lightning (any aluminum frame Buell is largely OK. The steel frame Buells were literally Sportster engines, and were unreliable as hell. Aluminum frame Buells replaced a lot of the parts that fail with functional ones, so it's "like a Sportster engine")
- Kaw ZRX1100/1200
- Triumph Speed tripple
- Honda VTX-series
- Kaw cruisers
- Honda Nighthawk 750
- Kaw Verses 650
- Kaw Z1000
- Suzuki SV650
- Suzuki SV1000
- Aprilia Tuono
- Ducati Monster (Hell, a lot of the Ducatis are cheaper than Harleys!)
- Ducati Diavel (REALLY cool, and REALLY capable "cruiser")

There are a bunch more I don't care to sit and think up...

Mike

The Nighthawk is nice, and would be a great choice. I recall riding my cousins CB in the mid 70's. Also nice is the Shadow Spirit 750, and Sabre (Sabre looks like a Switchback), both would suit my fancy. But will be staying away from sport and European, but oddly enough I like the Ducati Multistrada 1200 touring.

I’ve looked at some of the new Japanese cruiser’s, not liking them, cheesy was mentioned, I agree, and some are a long as a battleship.
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
You folks certainly got my thinking, so I went back to looking at other bikes with low miles, lower in price, and lower insurance costs that interest me.

a few used bikes that interest me with 2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Suzuki DR650 SE
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda VTX 1300
 

redleg6

Member
Apr 10, 2012
686
I've been looking at the new Vulcan Vaqueros...hope you get a comfy bike with heated accessories.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
jbones said:
You folks certainly got my thinking, so I went back to looking at other bikes with low miles, lower in price, and lower insurance costs that interest me.

a few used bikes that interest me with 2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Suzuki DR650 SE
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda VTX 1300

Good! Yeah, I forgot about the V-Stroms, but they're good bikes, as well (basically SV650 and SV1000 with different seats and bodywork)

Mike
 

tricguy007

Member
Dec 7, 2011
131
Go with a buell I love mine I'm 6'3" 200lbs. I ride a xb9s lighting (I have one pic in my profile). I will say u do have to be a taller person to ride these
 
May 5, 2014
19
See if you can rent the type of bike you're looking at buying for a few days to get the feel for it. That way it's a lot cheaper than buying one and then not liking it.

Personally I prefer to buy my vehicles new. That way I know how they've been maintained and have a warranty.

My last bike was a 1975 Honda CB 550K1. I put a Honda 750 tank on it & got an extra gallon capacity, changed the dual points over to a breakerless ignition, rejetted the carbs, installed a Winjammer II fairing, changed the front & rear sprockets. Got to where I could do 110mph with it. Used to ride it 75 miles to work put in 8 hrs. then 75 miles back home.

Had to stop riding in '94' when I crushed the cartilage at the base of my thumbs. After that any vibration caused long term pain.
 

NJTB

Member
Aug 27, 2012
612
Flemington, NJ
jbones said:
I’ve been thinking about riding again. Road several on the dirt and road over the years, but haven’t road for about 18 years now. Been thinking about a used HD Dyna super glide. I know it’ll be different then the last bike I road regularly, which was a Gpz 550. I’m confident the heavier bike + extra HP won’t be an issue. I’ve road sportsters, and an older CB750 (neither were mine) with success. Anyway, the Dyna is a great looking bike.

Right now my only inhibitor is it sure rains a lot here, the later part of my riding years were in San Diego, CA, a lot more riding days there.
Any other bike suggestion for a guy 6’ 3” 250lbs? Keep in mind I like the classic look.

My first Harley was a Dyna Super Glide. I basically did the same as you, the kids were grown and I had sold my Triumph, and wanted to get into riding again.
When you buy a Harley, the dealership pays the first year of HOG (Harley Owners Group) for you, and the dealership sponsors the chapter. They have group rides to destinations you never knew existed even though you've lived in the area all your life. It's a great time.
I sold the Super Glide in 08 (40,000 miles) and bought a Street Glide mainly for comfort.
Do be aware you will want to spend money on this thing like it's going out of style. One of my big fears is that if I die, my wife will sell the bike for what I told her I paid for everything.
 

danj

Member
Sep 29, 2014
264
I have a few bikes I'm building this year. The one I want to get ready for riding season is the 79 Kawi 750 tripple bobber, I also have a 79 KZ1100 and a V45 Magna, All of which will be far from stock once I'm finished.
 

SnowBlazer

Member
Jun 9, 2014
5,775
Colorado Springs
Personally, if I were to ride a bike, it would be a Honda ST1300P. :yes:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,388
Posts
638,719
Members
18,596
Latest member
david herman

Members Online