Where to purchase fan clutch

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Seems there are many different manufacturers of the fan clutch so I'm curious as to where the reliable and resonably priced units are. Prices vary greatly but it looks like $150 would be a good price, have seen $90-350 so I'm curious as to where others have had good luck with them.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I purchased mine from RockAuto (AC Delco) but I see you also have the 2002 model which was electronically engaged. What I did was bought the 2008 model since they moved to a more reliable design which doesn't rely on the PCM to tell it to de/activate and it's still sitting in my garage along with a water pump... (currently at 162K miles).

2002 model: $233
2008 model: $98

When I do change it, I would have to have the SES code disabled (most likely by PCM4Less) or else I'll always be in limp mode.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
Seems there are many different manufacturers of the fan clutch so I'm curious as to where the reliable and resonably priced units are. Prices vary greatly but it looks like $150 would be a good price, have seen $90-350 so I'm curious as to where others have had good luck with them.

The Dorman 622-001 at Advance Auto is $150 after using promo code HUGE50. Its got a lifetime warranty and I have been using it for a year now with no problems. You might want to have your PCM updated to the latest calibration as well.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
seanpooh said:
bought the 2008 model since they moved to a more reliable design which doesn't rely on the PCM to tell it to de/activate... I would have to have the SES code disabled (most likely by PCM4Less)

I've had my '08 fan installed for 6 months now with no problems. It also sets you up for an E-fan conversion if you want to go that route.

seanpooh said:
or else I'll always be in limp mode.

I don't think it'll go into limp home mode (REP), it'll just throw codes telling you your fan is defective. Someone else may jump in and correct me.

Edit: The point being, for the cost of the old design fan clutch you can get a new more reliable clutch (AC Delco) AND a tuned PCM. Win-Win.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
Edit: The point being, for the cost of the old design fan clutch you can get a new more reliable clutch (AC Delco) AND a tuned PCM. Win-Win.

Not entirely a win-win.

The Dorman fan clutch has a lifetime warranty. Not so for the ACDelco

Not everyone wants or needs a tune due to warranties and the like. They dont add much aside from firmer shift points and giving you the ability to gain a few horsepower only if you get the 93 octane tune.

There are a lot of people on this forum that got tunes because they were told how great they are. Now they are neck deep in mud trying to troubleshoot their engine and are confused if perhaps the tune has anything to do with it. No thanks I will stay with the factory programming.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Not entirely a win-win.

Not everyone wants or needs a tune due to warranties and the like. They dont add much aside from firmer shift points and giving you the ability to gain a few horsepower only if you get the 93 octane tune.

There are a lot of people on this forum that got tunes because they were told how great they are. Now they are neck deep in mud trying to troubleshoot their engine and are confused if perhaps the tune has anything to do with it. No thanks I will stay with the factory programming.

Not entirely true, getting a PCM tune fixed all my original issues with the stuttering and stalling that I had with mine.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
Not entirely true, getting a PCM tune fixed all my original issues with the stuttering and stalling that I had with mine.

Tunes dont fix anything. If anything they applied an updated calibration which could have been done at any shop.

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Not everyone wants or needs a tune due to warranties and the like.

Not many warranties left in the tb world to worry about, most 08s are about to run out and not many
09s were even made, remember the warranty started when the truck rolled off the line not when you bought it. The PCM runs almost every aspect of your engine so yes a tune can fix minor problems.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
IslandRunner said:
Not many warranties left in the tb world to worry about, most 08s are about to run out and not many
09s were even made, remember the warranty started when the truck rolled off the line not when you bought it. The PCM runs almost every aspect of your engine so yes a tune can fix minor problems.

A tune in and of itself will not fix any problems. It's important to understand this point. Unless your original PCM was malfuntioning hardware wise or in need of a calibration update then it wont fix anything. That's all I am saying. A calibration update will make it appear that a tune fixed a problem though. There are a lot of calibration updates available to fix anything from rough idle to stalling to...you name it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Tunes dont fix anything. If anything they applied an updated calibration which could have been done at any shop.

So technically the tune still fixed my issues :raspberry: If the tune applied an updated calibration to my new PCM(which still had issues without the tune) then technically the tune did fix the problem.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
So technically the tune still fixed my issues :raspberry: If the tune applied an updated calibration to my new PCM(which still had issues without the tune) then technically the tune did fix the problem.

The "tuning" that PCM4Less did such as map and fuel tables and spark advance which is sold as "the tune" did not fix the problems.

What fixed it was the calibration update or the different/newer revised PCM.

You do not need to get a "tune" from PCM4Less to fix problems because any competent diagnostics shop can update your PCM as well and fix those same problems.

So all I am saying is why pay $250 to PCM4Less to get a PCM update when most shops only charge half this amount to update your PCM. Just saying there are other options.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
CaptainXL said:
The "tuning" that PCM4Less did such as map and fuel tables and spark advance which is sold as "the tune" did not fix the problems.

You do not need to get a "tune" from PCM4Less to fix problems because any competent diagnostics shop can update your PCM as well and fix those same problems.

So all I am saying is why pay $250 to PCM4Less to get a PCM update when most shops only charge half this amount to update your PCM. Just saying there are other options.

I think the PCM4less tune for the I6 runs about $159 if you mail them your PCM, they have a lot of satisfied customers.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:

For some there are other options, but where I come from I would be spending WAY WAY more for that calibration than what I had spent on my tune which included for me a brand new PCM. I would likely have to do some traveling to find something other than an oil and lube place which 99% of the time those places aren't even competent enough to change a vehicle's oil. So for me...yes the PCM fixed my problems.

We had 4-5 pages full of advice and things for me to do to the envoy to try and diagnose my problems, when all it took was a PCM tune, in which case I did have the PCM calibrated by the shop who ran the tech 2 on the truck initially and it did no good. With the $250 bucks I spent just throwing money at the Envoy trying to diagnose the problem, I could have just spend the $150 for the tune and called it a day. There is a WORLD of a difference with the tune compared to without the tune on the envoy, and honestly the most complaining I have heard about the tune has been fuel economy and the PCM e-fan kit being to loud but that's about it. I haven't heard of anyone having major/fatal issues due to a PCM tune.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Not entirely a win-win.

You don't only get horsepower gains with 93? You just get more than the tune to 87. It makes the shift points bareable more than anything. And I also noticed an increase in my mileage. Do you even own a tune? If not I don't see how you can say anything about them.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Point #1. There are people on this forum that have a tune and have the same 0-60 time as me.

Point #2. I don't need any further points because I've already made myself clear. Lol

I'm just not convinced. Heck there aren't even any I6 before and after dyno runs that I can find.

So I guess hey. Prove me wrong.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
My butt dyno smiles at my tune. :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Point #1. There are people on this forum that have a tune and have the same 0-60 time as me.

Point #2. I don't need any further points because I've already made myself clear. Lol

I'm just not convinced. Heck there aren't even any I6 before and after dyno runs that I can find.

I dont think 0-60 runs offer true data because there are simply too many variables but we already discussed that once before lol. I can see that the lack of facts and data is what makes you not feel like they are worth it, but also it isnt right to "bash" or negatively talk about a product without the facts, facts vs opinions....your basing everything off your opinion only. And your opinion shouldnt be the basis of steering someone away from something.

Plus having the torque management removed makes every penny worth it for me.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
CaptainXL said:

Unless you have a tune, how can you judge or say it has no horsepower gains? Unless you have true results other than your 0-60 "race" that doesn't mean anything, don't say anything about tunes. When you apparently know nothing about them.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Voymom said:
I dont think 0-60 runs offer true data because there are simply too many variables but we already discussed that once before lol. I can see that the lack of facts and data is what makes you not feel like they are worth it, but also it isnt right to "bash" or negatively talk about a product without the facts, facts vs opinions....your basing everything off your opinion only. And your opinion shouldnt be the basis of steering someone away from something.

:yes:Also, he doesn't even own a tune! Lol

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:

There are valid reasons to keep torque management. You can't just assume we all like the same thing.

And I never said anything against getting a tune. I just want others go know the whole story.

And every opinion you guys bring up is just that, fact less opinion.

I have two science degrees and need factual And replicable proof.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Tell you guys what. I'm going to get a PCM off of eBay and send it into them. I will then write a detailed review of my findings. I will try to make the review as unbiased as possible. Perhaps I wouldn't get scoffed at as much then. lol

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
There are valid reasons to keep torque management. You can't just assume we all like the same thing.

And I never said anything against getting a tune. I just want others go know the whole story.

And every opinion you guys bring up is just that, fact less opinion.

I have two science degrees and need factual And replicable proof.

Just to clear things up...I'm not bashing you for not having a tune or your own opinion so please don't think that. There are definitely 100% valid reasons to keep torque management you're right. And you're right that not everyone likes the same things, everyone mod's their vehicles to their own liking and there is nothing wrong with that.

There is a lot of fact when 90% of the people with tunes have the same results. Yeah there have been a handful of people saying their fuel economy had gotten worse, but who's to say they didn't already have an issue that they weren't aware of until they got the tune? We don't really know....we can assume that everyone has the same meticulous habit of keeping maintenance on their vehicles, but that would be foolish.

Tunes don't put out 200+ extra HP, you may see a slight gain, but no it's nothing hotrod-ish. The fuel economy also has a lot of variables as well. People drive differently than others, up keep on vehicles are different etc....I think there is just TO many variables and that everyone is going to see a different result, or slightly different result, kind of like some people get drunk a lot faster than others...

From the sounds of your first few posts, it was like you were bashing tunes and blaming tunes for the issues that people have been encountering which is the only reason why I had posted...is it possible? Of course....but again, to many variables lol

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Tell you guys what. I'm going to get a PCM off of eBay and send it into them. I will then write a detailed review of my findings. I will try to make the review as unbiased as possible. Perhaps I wouldn't get scoffed at as much then. lol

In an earlier post you said maybe you do have a tune? You have no idea what your talking about unless you have tried a tune. That'd be great if you did write a review! Instead you criticize something you don't have?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:
You have no idea what your talking about unless you have tried a tune.

Anyone with understanding of what programming and electronics go into making a PCM and tune can make an educated decision for themselves about weather or not a tune does any good. I never really even criticized the tune to begin with so I am not sure where your coming from.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Whoa! I didn't know that Osama Bin Laden was still alive :hijack:

Started as a fan clutch buy thread and turned into a tune debate.

Here's my take. If you are going to an 08 clutch or efans, then get the fan error codes taken out, which can only be done by a tune. Not getting the errors taken out will only turn on the SES light and store the code which might affect a future emissions test. Will not affect anything as far as driveability or performance is concerned, just a light in your face. If you have an old tune version in your PCM and there happens to be a newer one, PCM4Less will use that more recent version from GM as a base, tweak it for better performance, remove the codes, change the shift firmness to what you want and whatever else you want.

Whether to get a tune or not in this case is a moot point as error codes cannot be taken out by a shop or the dealer.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Mooseman said:
Here's my take. If you are going to an 08 clutch or efans, then get the fan error codes taken out, which can only be done by a tune. Not getting the errors taken out will only turn on the SES light and store the code which might affect a future emissions test. Will not affect anything as far as driveability or performance is concerned, just a light in your face. If you have an old tune version in your PCM and there happens to be a newer one, PCM4Less will use that more recent version from GM as a base, tweak it for better performance, remove the codes, change the shift firmness to what you want and whatever else you want.

Wow, thanks for getting back on point, this is what I was looking for. I have to pull my water pump ion a few weeks, because its leaking. It's only 2 years old and I think its fine, but I've got a small leak, and I was thinking while its out, I might swap to the 08 fan clutch, only because I really don't feel like pulling the fan shroud out again anytime soon. I need to have a tune anyways to turn off the Secondary Air Injection nonsense (another reason to get a tune, since the SAIS goes bad annually on my truck), but it will be a month or so after I swap the clutch, just wanted to be sure it will still drive fine even if the light is on. That's fine, the light is on anyways since its whining about the air pump not working.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Ordered the Dorman (622-001) from Amazon yesterday for $103 plus a few bucks for shipping. 2 day shipping and its being del today...:wootwoot:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
A tune is eye opening if its done by someone who KNOWS what they are doing. Anytime you manipulate the conservative values in the factory tune, in an orchestrated way, will give you better performance, power, and mpg. If you can have Greg Banish do the tune you would understand immediately just by the feel in the seat of your pants! Mine had a 7 hr dyno tune done to it in LA before I bought it from a guy in Vegas; it had 347 HP 361 TQ to the rear wheels and thats with no other mods done or added. It was completely stock. Most SS's have just over 300HP to the rear wheels in stock tune and get to 335ish when tuned. How mine came out with more, I don't know but I have the dyno print out on it showing the results. When you can delve into HP Tuners for yourself and see the myriad of adjustable tables-fuel trims, spark, KR, shift points, TC lock up, torque management, etc then you might start to understand what gains there are to be made in a good tune. And with added bolt ons, a tune is necessary to take advantage of those add-ons.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online