Where to find front axle disconnect outer housing?

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey everyone,

I need a front axle disconnect outer housing, my front bearing and grease seal seized and failed significantly, and there is a little wear on the bottom of the housing where the first bearing sits, not the grease seal just the bearing...i'm afraid if I just replace the bearing it will get torqued and get ripped apart like the old one, after spending a few hundred dollars replacing most of the internals of the disconnect and the CV shaft I don't want to ignore this potential problem...

has anyone had any luck finding an outer housing, or better yet, have an extra laying around?

thanks,
-Rob

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have an extra outer housing. I had to buy an entire disconnect when I busted my inner housing trying to get it off the truck (That wasn't any fun) so I had leftover parts. You can have this one for like $25 shipped.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Returned. I got it out of the box, started cleaning off the axle grease, and it is covered in stress cracks! No idea why, I guess it came off my truck that way and I just never noticed. So sorry :frown:

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks anyway

- i know that all years are compatible, but just to be sure the disconnects are the same for all 4x4 Trailblazers and envoys, correct?

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
keepontruckin said:
Thanks anyway

- i know that all years are compatible, but just to be sure the disconnects are the same for all 4x4 Trailblazers and envoys, correct?

As long as it has selectable 4wd and not awd like a Buick or a Saab.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well at first what appeared to be a poorly molded case looks to be a severely stress cracked one...also you'll see that I drilled and pressed pins in the case where the original molded ones sheared off...Im not worried about the pins, but should i be worried about the stress cracking? also should i be worried about the wear on the housing were the first bearing sits?

View attachment 23419

View attachment 23420

View attachment 23421

View attachment 23422

View attachment 23423

what do you guys think? should i use this one for a couple weeks until i could find a new one?

thanks,

-Rob

Update: I just ordered the ATP aftermarket disconnect....sucks I already bought bearings and gears, if anyone needs parts for a disconnect PM me.

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 10
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • case3.jpg
    case3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 8
  • case4.jpg
    case4.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 7
  • case5.jpg
    case5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hm, that's similar looking to the one I had (minus the broken pins). The used one I rebuilt to put on my truck didn't have those stress cracks. I wouldn't think there is that much stress on that housing to crack it :confused:

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
Concerning the cracks... I've had two apart, they both looked like that. All the pictures of them I've seen over on offroadtb looked like that too. I wouldn't worry about it personally.
The wear at the bearing I would be concerned about.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
yea the stress cracks and the pins didn't really concern me, but the wear on the bearing housing was enough to make me order the aftermarket disconnect.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Crud. Maybe my old outer housing is OK then? It has no bearing housing wear.

Sigh.

bravad'oh

Sep 15, 2012
Any body looking for these parts should check wrecking yards IMO. There are lots of the older ones ending up there now. I wanted a disconnect and I also needed an intermediate shaft but the yards all wanted me to take the front diff as well. $160 for the whole thing and I have a spare diff! Hope I never have to use it. The Stealership wanted almost $400 just for the shaft.:hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online