Where is neutral?

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
According to the service manual for my 02TB, there is a 5th position on my TC selector switch for "neutral" yet there is no such position on my switch. How do I get to neutral or is it not there? I searched and searched but never came up with anything.

Thanks,

Joe

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Check the Owners Manual. Farthest clockwise. Good details about safety as well. For instance, in Transfer Case neutral, transmission PARK mode won't hold you!

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
the roadie said:
For instance, in Transfer Case neutral, transmission PARK mode won't hold you!

I learned that the hard way with an old Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. I pulled the front driveshaft out never thinking it would cause trouble until I drove it. Within 100ft the NP249 TC tore up then at MacD's, I parked it on a slight incline. While eating my burger, some PYT came in yelling about a car in the middle of the parking lot. I never gave it any concern until the mgr went out to see it. She came back in looking for the owner of a green Jeep. Uh oh.

That 249 was an AWD box that used a viscous coupling to impart the AWD action. A real POS. I replaced it with a NP242, much more robust. I'd like to gut the NV226 system and install a 242 or 231, but that would be a huge undertaking. For the little I use 4wd, I don't need a flaky knob on the dash to select modes for me. As a matter of fact, I can permanently disable AWD and 4lo then use 2 reed relays to select the modes that are left.

I thought GM was better than this.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I remember reading that in the manual , too. When I start my truck and the light check happens, I can see a red N at about the 3 o'clock position on the TC switch.

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I'll try again later but IIRC the switch won't get more than a few degrees past 4lo and that was with some force.

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
That manual is light years ahead of the one that came with our TB. With ours, when you look up transfer case neutral it sends you to towing which sends you back to transfer case. Nothing at all like yours.
I don't know what I was smoking the last time I flipped that switch, but being armed with your info it worked flawlessly now.

Thank you very much!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Glad to hear that it worked as advertised. My truck didnt come with a manual, so I found a pdf online. I didn't want to have to print that thing out, so I found the original manual (and the audio demo cd) on ebay for $12 shipped.

Oh, these manuals have you jump all over the place. I did the leg work for ya!

Jimmyz

Jul 3, 2013
The manual that came in my 2004 jumped back and forth on this issue. It's would send you from towing back to the 4wd page, But never gave you the information in this post. Thanks for posting that link!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Jimmyz, glad you found the info and it worked for you.

In case the manual or link goes away, here are the instructions on page 98 / 2-29. This is from the manual for the 2002 TB.

Shifting to NEUTRAL
To shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL first make sure
the vehicle is parked so that it will not roll:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Start the vehicle.
3. Connect the vehicle to the towing vehicle.
4. Put the transmission in NEUTRAL (N).
5. Shift the transfer case to 2HI.
6. Turn the transfer case knob all of the way past 4LO
and hold it there for a minimum of 10 seconds.
The NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will come on.
7. Shift the transmission to REVERSE (R) for one
second, then shift the transmission to DRIVE (D)
for one second.
8. Turn the ignition to LOCK.
9. Place the transmission shift lever to PARK (P).
10. Release the parking brake prior to towing.

Shifting Out of NEUTRAL
To shift the transfer case out of NEUTRAL:
1. Set the parking brake and apply the regular
brake pedal.
2. Start the vehicle with the transmission in PARK (P).
3. Turn the transfer case knob to the desired shift
position (2HI, 4HI or A4WD).
4. Put the transmission in NEUTRAL (N).
5. After the transfer case has shifted out of NEUTRAL,
the red light will go out. Shift the transmission lever
to the desired position.
6. A re-engagement sound is normal when shifting out of NEUTRAL.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Personally, I used to just put the truck in N turn it all the way past 4low and hold it there for about 5-10 sec. It will flash and then be disengaged. Once your done, put the trans back into N, flip it to 2hi and give it a few seconds. Use caution, as everyone said whether the truck is on or off, in park or drive, it will still roll without chuking the tires or using the parking brake.

This is also a good hint to know if you need to tow or roll the truck somewhere if something breaks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online