What years are interchangeable on the I6 4.2 engine?

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
What years are interchangeable on the I6 4.2 engine? Was there a changeover sometime to variable valve timing? I have an 05 and may need a new engine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Change from 02 to 03 was deletion of oil level sender. No hole in oil pan for it in 03 onward.

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I did notice a lot of small differences on the 08 I saw. The coil packs are different.

Are there modifications you can do to make an 08 work on an 05 truck?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
PCM will be different, so unless you're up for deciphering wiring schematics, and rewiring harnesses...

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
It'd be a pita to do but you could. If I was going to do that, I'd swap harness and all. In 08 I think they changed the crank trigger setup too.dont think you can adapt older PCM to it. It was 08 or 09 they did that. Easiest way would be to use the pre 06.

There's another thread or two on this floating around.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There was a change I believe on 05 or 06 where the crank sensor reluctor wheel changed with additional teeth. I think unless you swap all the electronics, it's not an easy task.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Mooseman said:
There was a change I believe on 05 or 06 where the crank sensor reluctor wheel changed with additional teeth. I think unless you swap all the electronics, it's not an easy task.
It went to a 58x reluctor iirc but I thought that was 08. 06 was MAF and the 1st head/exhaust redesign. They separated the trans controller out of PCM too. Separate ECM/TCM after 06.
Maybe limequat will check in. He'd know for sure. Think i saw him post about it in another thread like this.

Either way, if you want to go with the newer engines. Best to get a drop out complete with harness. Swap the whole engine harness. Call it a day.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online