What Tire?

Boatman

Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hey guys,
I'm looking to get new tires for Christmas on my 07 TB LT. What tires do you guys recommend? And what size? I do like for the wheel well to look filled in.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
First what are you looking for in your new tire, quiet highway travel, off road, there are a lot of choices. Also the largest tire you can fit is 30.5" tall, so right around 245/75/16, 245/70/17 etc. If you want bigger you will need spacers. The two sizes I listed are roughly the same diameter and width but with a different size wheel, and it fills the wheel wells nicely and gives you a lot of options.

Boatman

Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
I'd be looking for a traffic heavy daily driver 15 miles a day, with 1-2 monthly long hauls roughly 1000 miles round trip. I don't haul, anything more than a small trailer and lawn mower, ATV. I'd like a more performance type tire though. And something that's good in the rain, that's probably one of my highest request. Does that help?

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Boatman said:
I'd be looking for a traffic heavy daily driver 15 miles a day, with 1-2 monthly long hauls roughly 1000 miles round trip. I don't haul, anything more than a small trailer and lawn mower, ATV. I'd like a more performance type tire though. And something that's good in the rain, that's probably one of my highest request. Does that help?

I like my 265-65-17 BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As. Really good in the rain too.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Boatman said:

That can give us some ideas to help you out, one last thing would be your stock wheel/tire size. IIRC you should have 17's, but I could be mistaken.

I have always gone with an AT tire as I do drive in the woods and off road from time to time, and the extra traction helps when I need it. That being said I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR's and must say that even though the tread does not appear very aggressive, these things keep surprising me. They are quite on the highway, do very well in rain and kicked ass in the snow today (thankfully). I cannot speak for tread longevity as I have only had them for a few months.

I am sure some other guys could chime in as well with more options and opinions.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
If you want a great rain traction, get the michelin cross terrains. They'll last forever. The "high" performance street tires don't last long compare to a "touring" tire. AT tires look great but suck in rain compared to a quality all season. Not hating, just experience. They are not bad, but I do no think they even compare. I have never not been impressed by a good Michelin in the rain, 4 different tires on 3 vehicles. Smart driving is more important than what tires you have.

Going to a 30.5" AT tire, you have many options all of which will look good. Keep your speed down when it gets wet lol.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have the bridgestone desert duelers and have been happy with them. Seem to work well in all weather.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
If you want a great rain traction, get the michelin cross terrains.

Sadly the Cross Terrain line has been discontinued. Michelin now makes Latitude Tour tires. Not sure how they compare but the tread seems to be less aggressive, more of an eco tire.

The Goodyear Fortera tires I just had put on seem to perform identical to the Cross Terrain's I had on before. Snow traction seems similar. Noise is similar. The Fortera is a mud and snow tire so might not be what the OP is looking for.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I just got the Firestone Destination LE2's and am loving them so far. I had the AT's before these and they were not as good in the rain, as for the snow, we'll see, but reading reviews, they're better in light snow than the AT's.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
For all around pavement in multiple conditions and daily driving...General makes some nice tires. On my DD the one I have really inspire confidence were the previous left you feeling more unsure in rain or snow or even high speed coprnering.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
For all around pavement in multiple conditions and daily driving...General makes some nice tires. On my DD the one I have really inspire confidence were the previous left you feeling more unsure in rain or snow or even high speed coprnering.

I gotta agree. My Generals were great tires. I'd run them again in a heartbeat if they came in my current size. Man they did great driving all across the country in down pours and everything. Great tires.

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
mikekey said:
I gotta agree. My Generals were great tires. I'd run them again in a heartbeat if they came in my current size. Man they did great driving all across the country in down pours and everything. Great tires.

How are the general's in the snow as an all season tire ?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Inert_Static said:
I run Toyo Open Country AT2.
They are likely more aggressive than you want but they are really quiet for an aggressive AT tire.
I ran Toyo's on my wife's minivan and liked them alot as well.
They seem to be good value.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
They are likely more aggressive than you want but they are really quiet for an aggressive AT tire.

What the hell does this tell him about the General's? He asked specific question, that you even quoted, then you promptly gave a useless answer to.

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
What the hell does this tell him about the General's? He asked specific question, that you even quoted, then you promptly gave a useless answer to.

Thanks trails... My thoughts exactly.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
For me, Generals are great tires for the dry summer pavement. They are cheap especially used and stock size.

The downfall is thread life is horrible, I get ~20K miles on a pair on the rear which I swap left to right every month for some even wear. But for the price, that's how long I expected them to last.

Also Generals do OK in rain but I don't like the snow traction at all with them. The tread design really isn't for snow. And trust me, I know General tires. I've gone through 20 Generals in a span of 2-3 years. I've been delivering pizzas for 3 years...

This winter I picked up a pair of used Michelin LTX MS with 10-11/32nd threads (they were patched). They have really good traction in the snow, by far the best tires I've ever had so far.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
forgive me for using the "reply with quote" instead of "reply"
I was responding to the OP letting him know that I've run Toyos on a couple of cars now and like them.

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
seanpooh said:
For me, Generals are great tires for the dry summer pavement. They are cheap especially used and stock size.

The downfall is thread life is horrible, I get ~20K miles on a pair on the rear which I swap left to right every month for some even wear. But for the price, that's how long I expected them to last.

Also Generals do OK in rain but I don't like the snow traction at all with them. The tread design really isn't for snow. And trust me, I know General tires. I've gone through 20 Generals in a span of 2-3 years. I've been delivering pizzas for 3 years...

This winter I picked up a pair of used Michelin LTX MS with 10-11/32nd threads (they were patched). They have really good traction in the snow, by far the best tires I've ever had so far.

Thanks for the info. Good info from someone who has used them A LOT

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
seanpooh said:

I agree the LTX m/s is BY FAR the best non snow tire I have used in the snow. Worth every cent. Wet road handling too is second to none.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
navigator said:

I was wondering what others thought about the Toyos. Those are the ones that im looking at getting come summer time. I will be getting some Durun D2009s for winter use though...Both will be in the 245/70R17 size.

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
That can give us some ideas to help you out, one last thing would be your stock wheel/tire size. IIRC you should have 17's, but I could be mistaken.

I have always gone with an AT tire as I do drive in the woods and off road from time to time, and the extra traction helps when I need it. That being said I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR's and must say that even though the tread does not appear very aggressive, these things keep surprising me. They are quite on the highway, do very well in rain and kicked ass in the snow today (thankfully). I cannot speak for tread longevity as I have only had them for a few months.

I am sure some other guys could chime in as well with more options and opinions.

I haven't read past here yet, but you don't want the Pirelli. They are awful tires. (just my opinion, of course). I worked at a large tire chain for six years and never heard anything good about the Pirellis.

My recommendation would be 265/65r17 Hankook ATMs. They are a great on road and decent off road tire. They last a long time. In the 265/65r17 size, they fill in the wheel wells nicely.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I have been rolling a set of Cooper CTS for 3 years. They are quiet, very good in the rain and haven't had any problems with traction in the snow.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
hayes said:
I haven't read past here yet, but you don't want the Pirelli. They are awful tires. (just my opinion, of course). I worked at a large tire chain for six years and never heard anything good about the Pirellis.

My recommendation would be 265/65r17 Hankook ATMs. They are a great on road and decent off road tire. They last a long time. In the 265/65r17 size, they fill in the wheel wells nicely.

They have exceeded my expectations so far, they did excellent in the snow coming back from PA Sunday. Wet weather handling has been great as well. Keep in mind I have had nothing but AT tires since I replaced the awful Goodyear tires that came with the truck (used). Had Fuzion XTi's for the longest time which was a good tire. Switched to the General AT2 which has been my favorite, and now the Pirelli's. Had something else in between since they stopped making the Fuzions but cannot remember the brand. I have a spare set of 1500 wheels that will be getting wrapped in new tires come spring. Those will be getting some more aggressive tires, still debating on size 265/75/16 might be the winner.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Inert_Static said:

I bought my TB August 2012 with new General Grabber HTS', stock size 245/65-17. They are a great dry tire, quiet on the road and handle great. No flex that I can feel. In the wet, they really shine. Great traction, no slip, push water out of the way with no problems. Living in MI, I get to experience that other form of water - the frozen kind. These tires are nicely siped and do very well in the snow and slush. Obviously, they are not ice tires. I can feel the ABS kick in at some stop signs, but unless you have dedicated ice tires or studs, you'll get that. Like someone else said, drive for the conditions. I drive slower and brake sooner and lighter when I even think there may be ice.

My boss won a set of tires in a golf long drive contest and got the HTS' for his XL Envoy. He said they are best tires he's had on it for driving in the snow (he just got them put on a month ago).

I highly recommend the HTS for our platform.

(As an aside, there are four of us here at a company of around 35 employees that have a 360/370. Kinda neat that we can bounce questions off of each other.)

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
C-ya said:
I bought my TB August 2012 with new General Grabber HTS', stock size 245/65-17. They are a great dry tire, quiet on the road and handle great. No flex that I can feel. In the wet, they really shine. Great traction, no slip, push water out of the way with no problems. Living in MI, I get to experience that other form of water - the frozen kind. These tires are nicely siped and do very well in the snow and slush. Obviously, they are not ice tires. I can feel the ABS kick in at some stop signs, but unless you have dedicated ice tires or studs, you'll get that. Like someone else said, drive for the conditions. I drive slower and brake sooner and lighter when I even think there may be ice.

My boss won a set of tires in a golf long drive contest and got the HTS' for his XL Envoy. He said they are best tires he's had on it for driving in the snow (he just got them put on a month ago).

I highly recommend the HTS for our platform.

(As an aside, there are four of us here at a company of around 35 employees that have a 360/370. Kinda neat that we can bounce questions off of each other.)

Thank you sir.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
seanpooh said:

Rs8892 said:
As far as the generals are you guys talking about the grabbers AT2? Any one think about the cooper discovery AT3? I have read heard good things about them.

Tread life is horrible? Which Generals are you talking about? You didn't give any specifics so your comment is mostly useless.

I had the General Grabber AT2's which I put well over 20K on in a year, including driving from St. Petersburg, FL all the way thru a dozen states to Utah, all thru Utah, the Grand Canyon, back thru all of Texas and to here. And up and back to VA a few times. Great traction in extreme downpours on a lifted TB with no sway bars and loaded up with gear for a 14 day expedition/roadtrip. I cannot say the same about my current Nitto's.

I sold them on Craigslist with 70% tread life for only 30% less than I paid for them. It was a good deal for the buyer.

As for snow, well I cannot comment on that. But I do recall we wanted a tire that would be ok in snow for when we visit my wife's family in Syracuse, NY during Christmas. That never panned out, and I don't recall how much that effected my decision.

So I'd beg to differ. Unless there is something about delivering pizza's that causes increased tire wear. Or perhaps you were talking about a different general tire.

We won't know now will we.

Boatman

Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the advice so far I think I have narrowed it down to 2-3 tires. My only question now is none of the tire sizes y'all listed match what's on my TB now, did I buy my TB with the wrong size tire on it? Check it out.

View attachment 31638
View attachment 31639

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 12
Dec 4, 2011
Boatman said:
Thanks for the advice so far I think I have narrowed it down to 2-3 tires. My only question now is none of the tire sizes y'all listed match what's on my TB now, did I buy my TB with the wrong size tire on it? Check it out.

View attachment 18709
View attachment 18710

You have the stock tire size my 06 Denali came with. This will also limit your choices a little. When my 275-55x18 (about 1.5% taller)Michelin X terrains (first replacement tire) wore out I replaced them with come Cooper Discover CTS 255 x55 x 18's. The replacement Michelin Latitudes were just too expensive plus i didn't read a lot of good comments on them. These are slightly shorter in height than the stock (about 1.5% shorter) but they work really nice. I have been through all types of summer weather and they perform very well. I also have them on now during the winter and with judicious driving they are working. As i tell you this i have also ordered a set of WINTER tires because we get winter here (for 4 months/yr) and nothing performs in the snow and ice like a winter tire.

Hope this helps put a little more perspective into your decision.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
boatman said:
thanks for the advice so far i think i have narrowed it down to 2-3 tires. My only question now is none of the tire sizes y'all listed match what's on my tb now, did i buy my tb with the wrong size tire on it? Check it out.

View attachment 18709
View attachment 18710

you have the correct optional tire size for your truck,(17" were standard). 245/60/18 are what's on my denali too...mike.

Boatman

Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Ok with my optional tires size and a budget of $850 for tires. What would you guys get?

I would go with 245/60/18 or 275/55/18.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have the same 07 TB LT with the same OEM 18" wheels and tire size, 245/60R18. I have used the Goodyear Fortera and Michelin Latitude tour.

Last year July, I went with Cooper Discoverer LSX Plus tires in the stock size I listed. I have to say I am more impressed with these tires over the Goodyear or Michelin. They have a more aggressive tread, but are in between road tires and A/T tires. Zero road noise on the highway and perform great in rain and snow. Being you are from GA, I doubt snow is much of a concern.

I wanna say I bought them for around $190 per tire, so that would be in your price range.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online