What size threads or adapter to check oil pressure at sending unit

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Basically I have the sensor out but my Matco pressure set has no such adapter....:mad:

This is the largest size I have which is 3/8 pipe I believe. Does any of the hardware stores sell such an adapter that would fit? What has anyone used to check oil pressure? I have pipe and metric adapters but nothing with threads this coarse.

Attachments

• OPS1.jpg
    OPS1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 23

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
Since you have the sender out seems like an option would be to determine the thread size. From there you can search to see the availability of an adapter. Another option is to get a sandwich adapter that goes under the oil filter. Those adapters generally have 1/8-27 ports. Try searching using "oil filter sandwich adapter" as the search terms. Several are available on Amazon.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
The threads in the block are STRAIGHT METRIC, not NPT which means no off-the-shelf fitting is going to work. Oil galley plugs are typically M16 x 1.5 for which the linked fittings will work. There is a forward facing plug right next to the switch port.

However, the oil pressure switch/sender is M16 x 2.

Normally I just roll my eyes at some of GM's crazy design decisions but going with such an absolutely obscure size for this port was an epic middle finger to the consumer.:hissyfit:

Reactions: limequat

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
You hear enough about people checking their pressure with a mechanical gauge that now I'm wondering how many people, garages, techs etc. are using M16 x 1.5 fittings in the M16 x 2.00 switch port?? :eek:

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Update on this..I ordered a Glow Shift sandwich adapter and will use the ports provided for testing...ultimately hope to get a real gauge installed.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
!! subscribed .. very interested on fulfullment and installation tips.. what gauge have you decided to go with..

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
gmcman said:
Update on this..I ordered a Glow Shift sandwich adapter and will use the ports provided for testing...ultimately hope to get a real gauge installed.

I used that sandwich adapter too along with this electrical gauge :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060LH6RI/?tag=gmtnation-20
For me running a wire was easier than a pressure tube. It's been installed since mid-2012. Unless they gauge lighting has changed I wouldn't recommend this particular one. Very difficult to see in ambient lighting during the day. Ok at night however would be nice to be able to dim.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
Absolute, Assume there is enough room under the filter (after thickness of adapter), and room around the adapter to mount a sender. Like you I would go w/electric sender/gauge Vs a mechanical gauge. Also how does the adapter effect oil filter changes ? Do you have to hold it with something so I does not spin loose when removing the filter. Or does the whole thing come off w/each change. I assuming the adapter can NOT be physically spun on/off after a sensor is attached.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
The adapter is 1" thick (recalling from memory) and has several 1/8 NPT ports (again from memory there's 3). They also sent a couple plugs in case you don't use all the ports.
I've changed the filter a couple of times and no problem with the adapter staying in place. There's an o-ring type seal between it and the oil filter mount. Once tighten and the seal compressed, the adapter basically is metal on metal so it's less likely to unscrew with the filter removal.
Sorry about the pix quality... hard to get a camera to get a clear shot but you'll get the idea. The electrical sending is fairly large but there's plenty of clearance.
I included a photo of the gauge. While it looks fine with the flash, in sunlight it's almost invisible to see

Attachments

• adapter01.jpg
    adapter01.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • adapter02.jpg
    adapter02.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 17
  • adapter03.jpg
    adapter03.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P4140691.jpg
    P4140691.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 17

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
bobdec said:
!! subscribed .. very interested on fulfullment and installation tips.. what gauge have you decided to go with..

For starters I will be using a Matco test gauge but when I get to installing the gauge I will likely use the Glow Shift gauge. Credit that to Conekilr for introducing me to these gauges.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I just ordered a few M16x2 bolts and some O-rings and I will drill the center and tap the head for a more common test adapter. Should arrive tomorrow.

Reactions: AtlWrk and Mounce
Apr 26, 2014
I cut my oil sender in half and stripped it down to just metal. Tapped the other side to fit a hose with a gauge attached to it and screwed it in to the fitting. I had an old sender because I first replaced it to verify accuracy. Simple and no special ordered fittings for unique threads.

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
ChrisinVictoria said:
I cut my oil sender in half and stripped it down to just metal. Tapped the other side to fit a hose with a gauge attached to it and screwed it in to the fitting. I had an old sender because I first replaced it to verify accuracy. Simple and no special ordered fittings for unique threads.
That's what I was actually going to try but I don't have a spare sensor and wasn't sure how much meat was on the other side of the plastic which is why I didn't buy an extra one. Good to know it would work.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I won't get to making this work until next weekend but here it is. I used a 16MM x 2MM O-ring and the O-ring is a slightly loose fit. I may change to a 15.3MM x 2.4MM O-ring if this doesn't work or just get another from the dealer if avail by itself.....or just use the OE but not a huge deal.

20140720_110404_zps48ad6912.jpg

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Nice :thumbsup: Turns out M16 x 2.00 is not all that uncommon for fasteners. Just not fittings. I assume you're cutting down the length too?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
AtlWrk said:
I assume you're cutting down the length too?
Yes. Going to shorten it just shy of the OE length to avoid any possible interference since the housing is part of the block.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online