What products NOT to use in our trucks??

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Due to my expertise in maintenance and mechanical work :wink: I thought that a thread like this would be helpful to noobs/experts everywhere! We have 3 categories for listing certain products and services that are okay, iffy and not recommended for use in our trucks. Pictures of your product(s) would be extremely helpful too, and give us your reason or opinions on why it's either Green, Yellow or Red listed!

Green= Good

Yellow= Iffy/not enough proof to gauge results

Red= Stay away from at all costs

I will go first

RED- I do NOT recommend using Engine Restorer commonly found in Wal-mart. I personally have had it cause a few issues an hour after using it. Luckily I was able to fix the problems before they did any major Engine damage.

IMG_20120305_195241.jpg

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
c7841415.jpg

Red: R134a with stop leak

This crap ruins a/c systems.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
YELLOW: Dorman CPAS

Questionable quality and results from its use. Not too many good words about them.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
RED
Any spark plugs that are not the OEM AC Delco 41-103s
some may work but many cause our I6 to run poorly, why take a chance.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
RED:

Performance chips. Utterly useless. Might as well sprinkle some Doritoes in your engine compartment.

[EBAY]150770211813[/EBAY]

[EBAY]180832475093[/EBAY]

[EBAY]380416213924[/EBAY]

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
harmless said:
We'll fill it with EBAY products that should, IMO, be posted here...
Ebay products that the sellers claim will benefit GMT vehicles (but won't) should be posted here. I created the other thread for things that weren't meant specifically for GMT (or any) vehicles.
(Like NOS energy drink) :raspberry:

Basically, this thread is for info on items that someone might be likely to try. The other thread is for items that *hopefully* no one would try.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Anchor motor mounts for the I6 engine

I didnt listen, bought them and they made the truck vibrate 200% worse than the OEM bad leaky mounts!! Had to use touch up paint on all 4 corners of my hood, it vibrated so bad with the Anchors!!!! :hissyfit:

Returned the Anchor mounts to Rockauto, bought some DELCO's at the dealer, my truck is so smooth now I often wonder if its running still! lol.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
YELLOW: inexpensive intake tubes

An intake is an intake is an intake.... just a tube with a filter. A $35 intake can work just as well as a $200 intake (and IMO looks better than the DIY ones), the only major difference being the more expensive intakes are a better fit to the vehicles and have a brand name affixed.

The yellow rating is due to sometimes minor modification being required to fit the cheaper intakes (fitment issues, drilling for a sensor, etc). Also as most do not contain a heat shield, a performance hit may occur.

Example pic taken from a random eBay auction:

lycRf.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online