What exhaust makes the 4.2 sound more like the 6.0

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Okay look, I know that there is a great deal diffrent in the two motors. And I wish I could have a ground shaking smooth exhaust but I just dont think it will happen. I love a good exhaust, as I have the series 44 now. Is there anything out there that is throatier and are their any gains or losses.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not getting the answers you want in your main thread? :nono:

I think you have unreasonable expectations. Next time just get the V8.

View attachment 18328

Attachments

• 129089260502074897.jpg
    129089260502074897.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: TerryG

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I know it is just like a college student to have false admitrations, or looking into a completely implausiable product to give a totally new item. However, someone must know what makes it sound "more" like a V8.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Consider yourself lucky. I just rented a Traverse that has the replacement to the 4.2 being a 3.6 and it was the worst sounding exhaust I've ever heard from a 6. Loading luggage in the back with it running I actually laughed out loud. I'm always wowed that the demand for the V8 option was so low. I mean for the swb's as early as 2004 the Rainier came with a 5.3 V8 and the Denali and 9-7 in 05. The 5.3 can sound just about anyway you want it to. I bet the difference between a used 360 with a 4.2 vs a 5.3 is less than a custom exhaust.

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I heard that a longer muffler like a 50 would make it deeper, but will it make it mch deeper and are there any better brands than flowmaster, what about magnaflow cats, and is there any headers for these tbs.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
You cant get a v8 sound without a v8. That's it, not with these motors.

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I feel that there are certain topics people refuse to answer. The question was more like a v8 not exactly to that of a v8. The questions behind cats and other brands still remains unanswered.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
People dont refuse to answer, people refuse the answers. People have tried no muffler, different size mufflers, re stricter pipes, headers, cats, dual exhaust, single exhaust, different size pipes, different tips. All the answers came back the same. Not with this motor.

You seem like the person that doesnt take no for an answer. Find one, experiment. Let us know if you find one. This question has come up a million times on the OS and the answer hasnt changed since then.

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I see thru my post you have already came to find what type person I am. I am simply dealing with the hands I was dealt, this is what I have so I will make the best due with what I have. Im not trying to me a quarter mile rocket just a lil more than a grocery getter.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can hook up a 5.3 to the exhaust and make sound more like the 6.0. There have been a number of guys that have tried to make the 4.2 sound like a V8 and failed. Have you tried to search youtube?

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
andy702252 said:
I see thru my post you have already came to find what type person I am. I am simply dealing with the hands I was dealt, this is what I have so I will make the best due with what I have. Im not trying to me a quarter mile rocket just a lil more than a grocery getter.

I know i got dealt a 4.2 as well. It is what it is, and isn't what it isn't.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hatchet said:
People dont refuse to answer, people refuse the answers. People have tried no muffler, different size mufflers, re stricter pipes, headers, cats, dual exhaust, single exhaust, different size pipes, different tips. All the answers came back the same. Not with this motor.
Yah, it's not as if the OS we all came from had eight years of archives, 100,000 members, and ONE MILLION farking posts, and not one of those members ever posted the magic formula that would make an I6 sound like a V8. Must be the single person with the trick was withholding it from us because they were afraid of the accolades and approbations they would receive. :eek:

Phrase for the day to Google: Occam's Razor. Note it has nothing to do with facial hair.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
andy702252 said:
I feel that there are certain topics people refuse to answer. The question was more like a v8 not exactly to that of a v8. The questions behind cats and other brands still remains unanswered.

See this just baffels me. You simply buy the next used 360 in line at the dealership...the one with the v8. I never understand why people buy something that isn't exactly what they want. I've probably seen this question 100 times at least over the years with sound clips and it's never even more like the sound a v8 makes just different than how a stock I6 sounds.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Jkust said:
...You simply buy the next used 360 in line at the dealership......
There's the problem. GIFT vehicles can't be selected the same way. But the "grateful" recipient of the hand-me-down still has to fiddle with it for the age-old drive to personalize it.

With dogs, they just pee in the corners of their yard and call it a day. :wink:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
There's the problem. GIFT vehicles can't be selected the same way. But the "grateful" recipient of the hand-me-down still has to fiddle with it for the age-old drive to personalize it.

With dogs, they just pee in the corners of their yard and call it a day. :wink:

Yes there are always exceptions. I'm going out on a limb and going to say 99% of people buy their cars. Seriously though I get adding some mods but something as fundamental as the engine? I also understand the original owners situation before you could get a v8 in the swb but there are thousands and thousands of these.with v8's for sale everywhere used. Life is difficult and busy enough to not get it how you want it the first time around why make things more difficult needlessly. It's no coincidence why both my 360's are v8's because I simply walked to the v8 equipped ones and bought them.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
If it was the 4.3 v6, you would get better results. An inline has a totally different firing order. It makes for a smooth and even sound, as opposed to the rasp of the v8. The best solution is a larger muffler. I have tried stock, straight pipes, small muffler, and big muffler. Nothing uas made It sound like a v8. Nothing. I have tried every conceivable way.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
smitty5150 said:
If it was the 4.3 v6, you would get better results. An inline has a totally different firing order. It makes for a smooth and even sound, as opposed to the rasp of the v8. The best solution is a larger muffler. I have tried stock, straight pipes, small muffler, and big muffler. Nothing uas made It sound like a v8. Nothing. I have tried every conceivable way.

One of my newer boats has a 4.3 liter v6 (which is still a standard option even on 2012 models because of its awesome torque in marine applications) and it sounds suprisingly like a pretty bad ass v8 when the exhaust is out of the water running on the muffs in the driveway.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
smitty5150 said:

This is true! To get it to even sound somewhat like a V8, you need a 90-degree engine of some sort (the 4.3 is a 90-degree V6, as is the 3800)... Even a 60-degree V6 has its own sound...

I've heard all kinds of these, with everything done to the exhaust, and they all sound like somebody just opened their mouth and went "blaaaaaaaaaaaaa"... IMO, an inline 6 sounds best with a quiet exhaust on it, because, again, IMO, they just don't sound good with a loud exhaust...

If you really want a V8 sound, in this platform, you're going to have to get a V8...

Mike

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I had a 98 grandprix gtp and put mahnaflow exhaust and sounded like ass. Lots of drone :thumbdown:

*magnaflow hehe

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Prior to this, I had a 2000 S10 Blazer 4.3 2wd, manual trans. I put on a flowmaster and dumped it right behind the rear axle. It sounded sick. I have not been able to duplicate with this.

Stainless works-headers, true dual exhaust, no resonators. If these could sound like a V8, this would be the ticket.
[video=youtube;lnkIN-6-Bcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkIN-6-Bcc[/video]

Reactions: UsernameIsTaken

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
silvernclean said:
I had a 98 grandprix gtp and put mahnaflow exhaust and sounded like ass. Lots of drone :thumbdown:

*magnaflow hehe

I had a 97 Bonneville SSEi (the i means supercharged 3.8 with 280lbs of torque for the uninitiated) and stock it sounded way better than the 4.2. Nice low rumble.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
I bought my TB for 2 reasons low milage and great price. I would love to put and exhaust on it but i havent found a sound i like yet. But i have been around long enough to realize you cant make a I6 even sound close to a V8.

My only thing with the youtube vids is the sound sucks.

Also there is one vid where the guy removed the can in the back and put a flowmaster 44 in its place with a stock muffler still on. This makes no since to me what so ever.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
This thread makes me feel the need to dust this video off...

[video=youtube;O3dn4uBhiGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dn4uBhiGA[/video]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its all in the muffler bearings dude. Get some ABEC 7's and the V8 sounds will swirl out so powerful the SS's will bow down to your awesomeness.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Even a 60-degree V6 has its own sound...

Agreed. My Sunfire with an LA1 (3400 sfi) has just a 24" or 25" thrush (been a few years since I had it put on...), no where near a v8, but better sounding than the i6..... And much louder. Thank goodness for sound systems. :smile:

AnimateDeath

Jan 29, 2012
Maybe I'm just weird but I love the sound of the I6. I had a '71 maverick with a 200 strait six (it sounded something like a horse farting really loud and really fast).

I had a '78 Dodge Aspen that had a strait six in it. It was mean as hell and sounded just like a Harley (mainly because it had a wicked misfire in it and an exhaust that was rusted to holey perfection.

I had a '88 Supra with a strait six in it and it sounded like jet taking off. (it was awesome sounding)

Now I have this '05 TB with a strait six in it. All I have done is take off the res. And I like the way it sounds. I've watched a few youtube vids that made me drool because of the exhaust sound.

Just embrace the strait 6 love and forget about a v8... Or just buy a v8.... Or trade it in on something else.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
When I was a kid I used clothespins to attach playing cards to my bicycle so the spokes made a wicked noise. Lasted all of 30 minutes.

Now I enjoy the sound of the trail environment as I "tread lightly" on it with a decent aftermarket Wagner muffler and no resonator and the windows down as I listen for oncoming traffic on blind corners. YMMV.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Its all in the muffler bearings dude. Get some ABEC 7's and the V8 sounds will swirl out so powerful the SS's will bow down to your awesomeness.

LMAO. Those are known to go bad.........:rotfl:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I like the fact at 50 MPH the only thing I can hear is some slight wind noise or a stepper motor.

The ever so familiar sound of a V8 exhaust note happens the way it does mainly from the nature of not only of the motor, but the plumbing. The I6 has an exhaust pulse that follows each other like a trail of kindergarteners going to lunch, all down one tube.

The V8 has a rap from one side and has a lengthy travel to the junction, then the same on the other side. Nice long tube, lots of echo, lots of everything that makes that thumping exhaust note. Doesn't matter if it's a 4 cyl, I6,, the buzzsaw pulses won't change. I'm going to bet that having 2 exhaust valves may even play with the note as opposed to 1 larger one.

Andy, if I was going to add some bass and character to this exhaust, I would probably get a high flow cat with a larger opening, branch it off to 2 short mufflers...prob a pair of Dynomaxes or similiar, then right into the resonator or a pair of resonators if they would fit before the axle. Then a larger taillpipe to aid in the scavenging of the cooler exhaust.

This is what I want to do later but with a single res, i'm looking for a muffler that will fit with the resonator keeping them together but not having the res poke it's nasty head out behind the axle. A nice clean 2 1/2" or larger tailpipe would finish it nicely.

A custom set of long tube headers would help but not much, basically you will be changing the pitch or tone of the buzzing I6 note and won't sound much better than a BMW M3 with the I6..which has wicked R&D involved.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
[video=youtube;Q7S1IkrM3Gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7S1IkrM3Gc[/video]
[video=youtube;bvLMCAwrUQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLMCAwrUQ4[/video]

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
The I6 in the vid stl posted sounds more aggressive than stock to be sure and might be all one can really ask for.

Wasn't real thrilled with the borla though, seems to have lost the deep rumble and makes me think an opera singer stubbed his toe.

Then again, you tube audio on an iPad may not be getting the whole experience.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
There is only one way, it might take a bit of a roaad trip.

It must be blessed by the Roadie.:raspberry:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
MDBT said:
The I6 in the vid stl posted sounds more aggressive than stock to be sure and might be all one can really ask for.

Wasn't real thrilled with the borla though, seems to have lost the deep rumble and makes me think an opera singer stubbed his toe.

Then again, you tube audio on an iPad may not be getting the whole experience.

Yeah that video is not the best I run Borla and when i remote start in the morning I can hear it just idle from the basement and the old neighbors complained of it being to loud in the morning I leave the house at about 5:30am so they they were pretty annoyed.It is a pretty deep exhaust all the way through the rpm range. I'll see if I can make a video today

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I found that the best sound for the TB is the Gibson Cat Back Exhaust system, search that on youtube. I heard that you get better engine tone if you get/make a CAI. Just my :twocents: Also go to Trailvoy and Search Need Deep tone on I6 and read that.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I'm not sure what the point of doing this would be. To be cool? Might as well put SS badges on it too. Even if you can get it to sound "more" like a 6.0, its not going to fool anyone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online