Weird radio problem

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hey guys, I'm having a strange issue I need help with. First off I have an 05' TB with Bose and Onstar. I replaced the Bose radio with a Kenwood DDX6019 three years ago with a GMOS adapter to keep the Onstar and chimes. The radio has been working fine until last weekend when i went offroading at the badlands. I had the radio turned all the way down while I was there so I don't know exactly when this happened, but when I was driving home I turned the radio up and there was no sound. I drove three hours home in silence. Got home and ten minutes later went to go get food and it was working again. Then the other day I hit a pothole and it went off again. Now the weird part is that the sound will come back on when there is a door/seatbelt chime. It will play the whole time it is chiming and then shut off again. Also pressing the Onstar button doesn't do anything anymore and my Onstar mirror is no longer lit up. Now I haven't had a chance to pull the radio to see if anything came loose yet, but just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as I am really confused. :confused: Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Have you check to make sure everything is still plugged in, in the back? Its possible something may have come loose while you were off roading

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
No I haven't had a chance yet. I'm going to pull it out after work and check. I was initially thinking something came loose until I realized that it was still playing music with the chimes. That just threw me off a bit and made me think something may be messed up.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
sounds like it could be a loose connection did you use butt connectors on the wiring?

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
Not really a help but, hmmmm.:undecided:
With the radio only playing when the chimes go almost sounds like the amp turns on for the chimes (the chimes do go through the amp - almost certain) but doesn't know when the radio is on. However, I thought that the amp was always on when the truck was running - even when the key is in.
When Andrew and I were looking at my truck we noticed (after a bit of confusion) that when the door was open and the key was put in the ignition - my after market amp would turn on. The reason being that the dinger goes through the amp - so the key turned the amp on to ding ding ding.

So;
Does your key in dinger work? Does the radio play with the key in dinger?
If so, when does it stop playing? After you start the truck?

No answers - just thoughts and questions!

EDIT - I guess it wouldn't play with just the key in dinger - switch is off then.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
im guessing you have the GMOS-04 adapter since you have BOSE... so since no sound.. would it be possible that the RCA jacks on the GMOS are faulty?.. justa thought.. dont know if that matters since the chimes still sound off..but definetly sounds like something is loose or just faulty..

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Ok I had a chance to mess with this tonight. I pulled the radio out and checked all the connections. Everything seems to be connected ok. I powered up the radio and was wiggling all the wires to see if anything was loose but nothing. I did get the radio to work again by unplugging the power connections to the Axxes GMOS adapter and plugging it back in. This made the radio function while I had the key turned to accessory but as soon as I turned key to off with the doors still closed, it went silent again even though the radio was still powered on. I'm not sure if this means the adapter is faulty or not. Also my Onstar and Onstar mirror still did not work while I had the radio briefly working. I'm really hoping it is not the adapter as they are not cheap.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It sounds like it is the GMOS. I hate those things.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
^^ x2 thats why alot of us (or at least myself and some friends) opted for the Scosche brand.. less failure rate..

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'm really hoping something else is causing this because those things are expensive!! I'd much sooner rewire my truck to bypass the adapter than buy another $100 adapter. I've got plenty of speaker/power wire.:biggrin: Thanks for the tips and if anyone has any other ideas I wouldn't hesitate to try them. :thumbsup:

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Do you have a part number for the scosche adapter? I'm having trouble locating it online.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I thought I saw a thread here someplace that talked about by-passing having to use the GMOS. I don't know about the Bose amp though.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hotness said:
Do you have a part number for the scosche adapter? I'm having trouble locating it online.

well i dont have BOSE in my SS so i didnt need all the fancy bells and wistles... but i think i know why people opt for the GMOS brand.. looks like Scosche is a little more expenssive... this what i could find on it... hope this helps... or at least gives some part numbers for searches elsewhere..

Scosche Wiring Harnesses (Vehicle Sound System: Premium Sound) | Car Stereo Installation & Accessories | Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
$120 Yikes!:eek: Yeah I will probably opt for rewirig the entire truck and ripping out all the BLOWSE crap.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
the crutchfield one is the one I have now. I don't know about the other one but still more than I'm willing to spend to avoid rewiring.

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
While you have it apart, since you used the GMOS-04, and if you still have the factory radio - just unplug the GMOS and plug the factory radio in.
See if it acts the same - then ithe problem is elsewhere.
If it acts correctly - probably the adapter. (or the wiring to/from it - I'd tripple check before getting a new one or hacking things)
:undecided:

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Black LT said:
While you have it apart, since you used the GMOS-04, and if you still have the factory radio - just unplug the GMOS and plug the factory radio in.
See if it acts the same - then ithe problem is elsewhere.
If it acts correctly - probably the adapter. (or the wiring to/from it - I'd tripple check before getting a new one or hacking things)
:undecided:

Very good idea! I will have to do this this weekend. Thanks for the tip

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Well I reinstalled the factory radio and everything works great. Whenever I get a warm day I will mess with it some more but definitely by spring I will rewire everything. At least I've got my steering wheel controls back.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hotness said:
Well I reinstalled the factory radio and everything works great. Whenever I get a warm day I will mess with it some more but definitely by spring I will rewire everything. At least I've got my steering wheel controls back.

Ahhh, so its narrowed down to the GMOS then.. easy trubleshooting... lots of re-wiring coming up.. glad you figured it out..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.