Water around spark plug(s)

B33p3r

Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Hey all, Engine light came on today and the engine started missing. Had code read and it was #1 misfiring along with cam position sensor and random misfires. Tb would still run but definitely felt the miss when asked for power.
Removed #1 coil pack to swap with #2 and noticed water around both spark plugs. Smelled and tasted. Definitely straight water. That normal? Ideas?
Thanks in Advance, B33p3r

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I think the cap is supposed to help prevent that, but it's not a sealed membrane. Did you wash the truck at one of those DIY wash locations and spray it in there?

Did removing the water get rid of the misfires?

B33p3r

Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Just searched the site which I should have done before posting...sorry. Water running in from under hood seal obviously. I'll pull all the packs and dry them out. No direct spray under hood at car wash.
Waiting for my kid to get home with scanner to reset the code and see if miss moved to #2.
#1 and #2 had water removed but still TB still misses. Once I know whether or not error moved to #2 I'll go from there.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
True, but I've had water in others from driving in ridiculously hard rain.

Reactions: Mounce

B33p3r

Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Swapped 1 & 2 coil packs. Reset faults. Random misfire fault returned. Turns out the intake bolts were loose. #3 had quite a bit of water in it. More than the others. Blew out all and tightened down bolts. Running like a champ again. Thanks to all. Although this thread didn't have the time and info to nail down my problem, a search of other similiar threads saved me 80-90 bucks by not part swapping to solve the issue. Thanks again.
B33p3r

jm88ddwm

Apr 28, 2015
I have an '03 Envoy XL, I found that parking on an incline facing down will lead to water in the packs. I always get the most in #3 but I have noticed previous owner had wax on #1 which has always been dry.

:undecided: Any suggestions on sealing the hood better??? :crazy:

nagyiii

Apr 26, 2014
happened to me about 3 yrs ago, hood seal dried out, cracked, allowing water to seep into #4 cylinder I believe. fried the coil pack and the plug. new seal, coil pack and plugs and all better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online