NEED HELP warning lights

Dave 26

Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
NJ
Ok another problem pops up. On my 08 TB .All of a sudden all warning lights came on, windows,radio and door locks stopped working.. The trans indicator lights went out . a couple went out but abs ,battery ,seat belt and brake stayed on . WTF!!
Last week I asked about the information display ,that was out . A couple smacks on dash they came back on.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can you give a little context to the situation? What was happening before/after the lights came on? Have you scanned for any trouble codes? Does the truck behave/drive differently now? If so, how?

Have you checked for any loose connections at the battery or either fuse block? May be a good idea to check your grounds to make sure those are tight as well.

Dave 26

Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
NJ
Hi
As I mentioned the info display had been out ( was going to send that out to be serviced), I smacked the dash it went back on. I was driving all day,Things were operating normal. When driving home from work last night all the warning lights went on. Veh was still driving fine ,but the trans indicator lights went out . then the radio , windows, and locks went out. When i got home turned veh off then started it again. This time abs ,brake,seat belt and battery lights stayed on . no windows ,locks or radio.
I'm not good at electronics but I'll try anything suggested. Where are the keys pionts to check? I live across the street from a GM dealer. Dont want to go there.Veh has 145k miles need to get as many out of it as I can. Sucks GM stopped making them . The good ones anyway.
Oh I should mention 2 years ago I got stuck in water up to my windows . Minimal water got in side I ripped out all the carpet to let it dry out no water got to computer.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The radio, windows and locks are run from the fuse block under the back seat. Once you take the cover off, there's a printed label that tells you which fuse/relay is for what. So you can test for voltage at those fuses. Also, was your HVAC working when those other functions were not? That's run from the rear block as well.

Reactions: Mooseman

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I will add to @Blckshdw post above... while you are at the rear fuseblock carefully inspect the flat green cable that runs from the fuseblock to the BCM. The BCM is the body control module, that is the separate black box attached just in front of the fuseblock. Maybe even wiggle the two ends of that flat cable a bit. The BCM is the master for the power mode of the vehicle and it is the BCM that tells the radio and other devices when to run and when to sleep. The BCM also tells the instrument cluster when to light up and when to go dark.

Having to smack the dashboard suggests either a bad connection at the harness to the instrument cluster or one or more failing solder joints in the cluster itself.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would also check the power outputs at the ignition switch.

Dave 26

Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
NJ
Thanks for all replys
As far as ignition switch ,could smacking top of steering column cause a short?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Smacking anything is not good.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Thanks for all replys
As far as ignition switch ,could smacking top of steering column cause a short?

Highly unlikely to cause a short circuit. More likely to bust some of the plastic fasteners and such. Further, due to the location of the ignition switch there is fairly little chance of having any effect whatsoever by smacking anything there.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Highly unlikely to cause a short circuit. More likely to bust some of the plastic fasteners and such. Further, due to the location of the ignition switch there is fairly little chance of having any effect whatsoever by smacking anything there.
Smacking my column with a mallet is how I used to get my '02 Bravada to start when the ignition switch was bad... definitely not a good thing but also definitely had an effect.

Dave 26

Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
NJ
Although once I did hit right on top of steering column and engine shut off.
2 local mechanics suggested alternator.

• Wow
Reactions: christo829

Dave 26

Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
NJ
Update
I changed fan belt just because I had one laying around ,was supposed to do it months ago.
I disconnected the battery left for a awhile. reconnected it. All warning lights out . Display went out again .But wtf its running ok.. Any recommendations on a company that repairs dash lights?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check eBay or just do a Google search. There's also tutorials on YouTube.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That *Cluster of Dash Lights Failure* deserves a second look at the strength and condition of the Battery and ...The Charging System:

(1) Stress Test the Battery with a Device like THIS:

s-l640.jpg

(2) Check the Alternator behavior via the information suggested in this Article:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online