Want to test drive!!!!!!

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Hey y'all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so the mods can move later.

That '03 we test drove a few weeks ago. Everything seems great, except the transition into 4LO. They guy is getting his title this week eor weekend and we've not been able to find one nearby to test and compare the shift difference.

Anyone living within an hour of Chattanooga, please chime in your willingness to let us drive yours and compare what we felt during our test drive. I suppose any '02 to '05 should yield similar shifting characteristics. 4WD automatic.

Thanks!

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
What did it do wrong going into 4LO?

I assume that you had the transmission in neutral and the vehicle not moving, right?

Mike

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Bartonmd said:
What did it do wrong going into 4LO?

I assume that you had the transmission in neutral and the vehicle not moving, right?

Mike

it was in neutral (as required). The first time rolling at 2 mph; it seemed to clunk into 4LO.

The second time, full stop, and the rear end seemed to literally settle down. The roadie suggested the firm brake pressure caused a slight misalignment in the transfer.

Another point in case, the tires were not the same front to back; with different wear levels. There is also no documentation or knowledge of when the TC and differential fluids were ever changed. Truck has 106K when we test drove 2-3 weeks ago.

We also never drove it on dirt/gravel, only on pavement. Did not make turns when in 4LO, just straight to ensure the RPM change when in low. I realize now, even the difference in tire size (wear) put a strain on the TC in low.

It's a pretty good truck and I want to make sure all is okay or typical of the '03 TB, and not a disaster in the TC waiting to blow up.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I agree with Bill. It won't go in well if you're rolling at all, and being hard on the brakes can cause it to bind up the drivetrain a little as it goes into Low with a slight misalignment of the gears.

Mike

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Bartonmd said:
I agree with Bill. It won't go in well if you're rolling at all, and being hard on the brakes can cause it to bind up the drivetrain a little as it goes into Low with a slight misalignment of the gears.

Mike

I want to accept that "hard on the brakes" answer, and thus, I we want to drive another to confirm, before maybe driving 4 hours round trip this Saturday for another test drive of the same truck.; which we will do anyhow, but we want a comparison vehicle.

I tested my Dakota shift into 4LO while at a red light driving home. Stopped, brakes on just as hard, and no clunk or seating in the rear. could hear/feel the hubs locking, but nothing like the TB. Granted, tires all identical and same wear on my truck.

Appreciate your input. Thanks!

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
The fact that it lurched when the vehicle was in neutral says that it did go in, and no grinding when moving says that there's likely nothing mechanically wrong.

Mike

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
For what it's worth, my 02 will "hunker down" when put into 4LO. I also have never really used it except when I was testing the modes to make sure it engaged OK.

In the low range the tire differences could be enough to make it unhappy on a hard, dry surface like that.

When you get it I'd change the xfer case fluid asap. Mine had no documentation when I got my truck at 112k, and it was overdue by at least that 12k, but I changed it and it has been fine. Heck my case still works even after running dry after a leak (but I obviously don't recommend doing that!) :crazy:

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Bartonmd said:
The fact that it lurched when the vehicle was in neutral says that it did go in, and no grinding when moving says that there's likely nothing mechanically wrong.

Mike

Sounds "sound".

With that, we'll go into the final review and price negotiations with the confidence.

No longer a Christmas present, it'll be her New Years gift :thumbsup: Then, I'll become a paying member of this site. :wootwoot:

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Sparky said:
For what it's worth, my 02 will "hunker down" when put into 4LO. I also have never really used it except when I was testing the modes to make sure it engaged OK.

In the low range the tire differences could be enough to make it unhappy on a hard, dry surface like that.

When you get it I'd change the xfer case fluid asap. Mine had no documentation when I got my truck at 112k, and it was overdue by at least that 12k, but I changed it and it has been fine. Heck my case still works even after running dry after a leak (but I obviously don't recommend doing that!) :crazy:

That's a good term for it, "hunker down".

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Robbabob said:
Another point in case, the tires were not the same front to back; with different wear levels.
That's evidence of a cheap-ass owner who disrespects the 4WD system, IMHO.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
See if he will let you ramp it in 4-LO, it is really the only way to test it:yes::biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online