VHT Night Shades for Envoy rear tails

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Well I was just starring at the back of the Envoy, I decided I wanna VHT Night Shade the rear tails and maybe the third brake light too. Is light output affected much? Is this easy too mess up, meaning should a get a used pair of tail lights to paint? Can someone direct me to a thread on how to do this properly, I read about it somewhere but can't find the thread? I searched but still didn't find. Also thinking of getting a second a second exhaust tip and put dual tips on if it's possible to do with the spare there. Might have to debadge the tailgate too. Time to start modding!!!

Any advice on the VHT Night Shades is appreciated?

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I watched a couple videos on YouTube and try it out came out good Imo. Real light coats and two at the most.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Mine are 2 coats if you want to see a visual to give you an idea. Up close in person they are not dark at all, you can see the red very well and same with the orange. There are good shade and I personally wouldn't have went any darker then this.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

In this I was much farther then the picture shows lol but usually they can see me braking. Don't go too dark!
photo3-1.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Make sure you clear coat them after the VHT or it will fade. I would do 7-10 coats of clear then wet sand them with 2000 grit, buff, wax, drink a beer :Lager Louts:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea VHT can be tricky... very advisable to apply it in thin layers/light coats with a nice steady sweeping motion... it will look like its barely going on at first, but it is... my tails have 6 coats of VHT (I wanted them dark) with the reverse lens left clear, and then 7 coats of clear, then wet sanded, buffed, polished and waxed... are they dark.. hell yea lol.. but that's what I wanted... light was still visible through the VHT, but I also have the Avalanche 3rd brake light LED... and that thing lights up the block :rotfl:.. but I'd say definitely practice if you haven't tried it before...

here's an old pic I found of mine... I don't have it here at home with me today or else I just would've snapped a new one for you... but you get the idea...

2012-06-25161932.jpg

2012-05-22184501.jpg

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Thanks for the info and pics guys :thumbsup:! I found a you tube video and looks not too bad to do. I'm looking for a used set and then I'll paint em. I like ItsOnVoy's pics, that's the look I'm after, it kinda blends with that black plastic above the light, I hate the bright red and orange so it looks like 2 coats VHT and 7-10 coats clear wet sanded and waxed. I'll post some pics when I get it done. Here's the video I found.
[video=youtube;OSKA0ElKg1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA0ElKg1Q[/video]

[video=youtube;-8-hZP6-ZY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8-hZP6-ZY8[/video]

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
didn't take long at all :thumbsup:
about to head out to work now, do I'll finish the wet sanding/buffing/waxing tonight when I get home
they're pretty dark, but I have some pretty bright bulbs coming in soon :wootwoot: so it's a win-win

they're still a bit fuzzy, but I'll be able to take my time sanding and polishing tonight pics tomorrow to show the diff
2013-04-10140858.jpg

2013-04-10131339.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Short Bus said:
Make sure you clear coat them after the VHT or it will fade. I would do 7-10 coats of clear then wet sand them with 2000 grit, buff, wax, drink a beer :Lager Louts:

I cleared mine with a good amount also and I got some fade but it doesn't look bad at all and the fade made the taillights look perfect with the shade so I am fine with mine personally.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
I was scared earlier...lol they looked too dark, as I walked to my truck in the parking lot with the trick ony, it.actually showed pretty well :yes:
2k sanding and a good bit.of polishing tonight...ahhhhh

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
NinjuhhNutz said:
I was scared earlier...lol they looked too dark, as I walked to my truck in the parking lot with the trick ony, it.actually showed pretty well :yes:
2k sanding and a good bit.of polishing tonight...ahhhhh

No pic, didn't happen :raspberry:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I was thinking the same thing. The reflectors are next on my to do list. Anyone know how the reflectors are held in? I assume there are clips and will just pop out.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
dmanns67 said:
I was thinking the same thing. The reflectors are next on my to do list. Anyone know how the reflectors are held in? I assume there are clips and will just pop out.

Yep :yes: they have clips molded to them. From back side of your bumper use pliers to get them loose.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
will be doing them tomorrow :tongue:
and I may just look into throwing a bulb behind them, I mean...they're there, why not? :rotfl:

as promise, a night shot :cool:

That would not be a bad idea. Maybe provide some additional reverse lighting or tie it into the brake or turnsignal :undecided: Many options...

Tails look good! Still very bright even with them tinted.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:
That would not be a bad idea. Maybe provide some additional reverse lighting or tie it into the brake or turnsignal :undecided: Many options...

Tails look good! Still very bright even with them tinted.

got the 40led spiders coming for the backup lights, gonna see how I like them, and either get them...or bite the bullet and go ahead and make my own custom ones haha, we'll see

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Looks much better now :yes:
I was looking at it, I might could figure something out, and space the reflector out a bit, leaving room for led's...we'll see lol
Gonna toss the idea over to BlkShdw, if his ears aren't already ringing at the mention of led's :raspberry:

View attachment 27396

View attachment 27397

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130412_171319.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130412_171319.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 12
  • ForumRunner_20130412_171336.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130412_171336.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: BHAMER

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
I was a little concerned at first, but I have pics floating around here somewhere of my tails when the brake lights are on. Still pretty bright. Haven't had any issues with people not seeing them, or anything like that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online