Using a tech 2

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
was wondering if anyone has used a tech 2? was thinking about getting one with the gm package i guess that includes a 2002 envoy. reason is i wanna try to reprogram the bcm to add memory seats to it. i did buy a spare bcm from the car that the leather seats came out of, so i can practice on that. just wondered if anyone has played with one?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, someone did do exactly that with his homemade bench hookup. Could also be done in-vehicle too.

I will be uploading a spreadsheet of quite a lot on VIN's with RPO's so you could experiment with them.

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
that would be great... so i should go ahead and order a tech 2 ya think? can get one around 300ish..... would it be handy to have? pretty much have all gm cars in the family anyways...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: MAY03LT

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
so go ahead and get the tech 2? from what i understand using the tech 2 to program the dcm, i will need to download it, then transfer it to the tech 2, then use that to program the bcm?
i do work a lot with electronics and technology , but this is new to me, would love to learn though

so if i want to add memory seats to my bcm, whats the straight and skinny of doing that?

Last edited by a moderator:

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
guess mdi is after a certain year? so a tech 2 would be needed for a 2002 from what i been reading..... lol just wanna know what to buy :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A Tech 2 will be able to update modules up to 2007 or 2008 with Tis2000 on a laptop. Tis2000 was killed by GM in 2008, which means you would need to get a subscription from ACDelco to be able to program stuff after that year, and it ain't cheap.

For the MDI, I looked a bit at it and I have mixed feelings about it. From what I gathered, MDI is the passthrough between the OBD and computer. You can use software that emulates the Tech 2 on the computer, as well as SPS. The Tech 2 can also be used as a passthrough but with the advantage of being able to use it standalone.

Does the software come with the MDI? Does it give the possibility of programming modules without having to connect to ACDelco with a subscription?

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
sounds like i will stick with a tech 2 then.. the cars i have in family is a 2003 sunfire, 06 cobalt, 03 tahoe, 02 envoy... so seems like the answer is tech 2 :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely. Works well with Tis2000 to reprogram, once it's set up.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The next learning curve is what the Product Line is in the Tech II. Somewhere in here (the forum), it probably tells you what the Envoy is. As an example, the Trailblazer is S. Your Sunfire may fall under the small car general code of J, which is what I used on a Cavalier.

ETA: I just found a thread the shows the Envoy as a T. That will make sense when you get the scanner. Or watch some Utoob videos about the scanner.

Are you going the Alibaba route? That's how I bought mine. $270 shipped. If you do that, email/ask a question and ask for a Paypal address. I did that, and others have posted their success doing that, rather than sending CC info to China.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Makes sense if you think about it. The TrailBlazer was the replacement for the S-10 trucks and the Envoy, the replacement for the T-10 Jimmy. J-Body for the Cavalier makes sense too.

Could probably do a list of body codes just by searching Wikipedia.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
There are a lot of fake Tech II clones out there that don't work. Do you research.

Are you going the Alibaba route? That's how I bought mine. $270 shipped. If you do that, email/ask a question and ask for a Paypal address. I did that, and others have posted their success doing that, rather than sending CC info to China.
I had thought about buying one, but I was scared off by all of the fakes on the web. $270 is a great price. Do you have some links to ones that are reputable? I live in Kansas City, and there is no one on the site who is close with a Tech II. I'd love to be able to give back (and have a new toy!).

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
S is also used in the vin (10th digit from the end, sometimes referred to as the engine code) to denote that a 360 has the 4.2. I belive it is a T for the 5.3 in 360's. Could it be that the product line is which motor it has? As in the 4.2 is one line with - - - accessories possible and the 5.3 is another line with its own accessories?

Happen to see what engine the envoy had? Or would this just be a coincidence that the two possible engine codes are also product lines?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
@Mounce Here is the thread - http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/tech-2-scanner-what-is-the-trailblazers-productline-code.13390/

Here is the post:

The engine type is entered further down in the powertrain section.

For my 2005 GMC Envoy 4x4 with 4.2L I6
The Tech2 startup amble goes like this:

1. Power on
2. one beep - means Tech2 system is okay
3. Main Menu > F0 Diagnostics
4. Model Year > (5) 2005
5. Vehicle Type > LD TRK, MPV, INCOMPLETE
6. Product Make > (T) GMC TRUCK
7. Product Line > T
8. Product Series > Envoy
9. F0: Powertrain ->(S) 4.2L L6 LL8

For reference, my VIN does not have a single S in it. My engine code is an M (8th digit) for a 5.3. Tenth digit is year of manufacture - in my case, a 5 for 2005.

@jsheahawk , I don't know if one is any better than the other. I can log in and post who I bought from if you would like.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nobody can afford the real Tech 2 so everybody buys the Chinese clones. Even used ones are a couple thousand. Mine has been good so far (knock on wood), was around $300. I think they're all made in the same place. Check my thread somewhere in this section.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I count from the right end, 10th being engine code and 8th being year

Gotcha. Everything I have ever read or been taught was counted from left to right. Kinda like we read... :poke: :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could save yourself some cash and get the same one without the case. I use an old laptop case for mine.

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
well finally got a tech 2, seems to be working well, just barely messed around a little bit with the cobalt, havent tried it yet on the envoy, boy i have a lot to learn about using that thing

really want to try to reprogram the bcm, i have a spare bcm, what i would like to do is the get the programmed info from mine, save it, transfer it to the spare one i have, and add the memory seat function if possible.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You wouldn't be copying from one BCM to another. You would program the spare BCM as a "new" replacement unit using the VIN. This would automatically load all your options.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
So if you had a different (used) BCM, you could reprogram it with your VIN and then use it? If the used BCM had something wrong with it, would that show up, or fail the program?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This BCM Programming Instructional is for a Corvette… and while much of it will still apply in the General Procedures being followed… You will STILL have to use your Laptop Installed TIS2000 Software AND "The Dongle" also Installed in order to perform the required “PASSTHRU” Programming in compliance with having your New “GYMKO” Scanner serving as... The Go-Between. Check in the GM Tech2 Manual PDF Documentation for more Instructions that fall under the category of “RTFM First” before proceeding.... This is the One You Want:

http://auto-diagnostics.info/pdf/tech2_users_guide.pdf

Don’t Discard or Fiddle around with your Original BCM until AFTER you’ve completed ALL OF THESE STEPS described in writing in the GM Tech2 PDF Manual on its replacement and can assure that it functions properly. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS!

http://www.corvettels7.com/technical_data/Body_Control_Module Programming.PDF

Last edited:
Reactions: Drec

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online