NEED HELP used 4.2l engine replacement

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
My Sons' truck has a blown head gasket and was running but after sitting a month now will not turn over... so I have found a used 2002 Gmc envoy 4.2l engine with 104k miles, I am going to buy it an have it installed in my son's truck. I am looking for any advice others may have as to what else to do while the engine is out.
I am replacing the radiator, hoses, temp sending unit, water pump, belt. I have been advised to check the freeze plugs and the rear main seal (should I replace it?).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Haven't heard of freeze plugs or rear main being a problem but I would replace the rear main anyway. I would replace both seals on the differential and the thermostat on top of your list. All I can say is be armed with patience and take your time. Engineers didn't talk to each other when they slapped this truck together so some fasteners (top bellhousing) are a PITA.

Reactions: Bryandaytona06
Mar 15, 2016
Florida
I replaced my 06 engine and after dicovering a clogged oil pick up tube killed the first engine I pulled the oil pan and cleaned the pick up seen and pan . Also unless you lift the body off the tranny is coming out to so fluid filter and seals on that are a good idea.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you have any "Mad Money" left and 1,000 + Lb Harbor-Freight Engine Stand... replacing or cleaning up the following components "B4" you swap the engines will be a Godsend later if they prove either disabled or clogged or flat out inoperative after you start it up and try to "Put the Music" to the engine:

(1) CPAS-- Camshaft Position Actuator Sensor: MUST Remove the Power Steering Pump if attached and unbolt to slide out and clean out channels with a spray solvent and make sure the screens are intact. If not...get a new AC-Delco Flavor. If there is Oil inside the Electrical Connector...Same Advice...Replace that CPAS with one from AC_Delco ... Plenty of WHY-DO-THIS & HOW-TO-CLEAN Videos on Youtube:

3a9db003.jpg

(2) CPS--Camshaft Position Sensor -- This one is easy and inexpensive to replace. Also plenty of Youtube Videos on how to R&R:

d03e295.gif

(3) Throttle Body--- 4 Slender 10mm Bolts. Remove completely...Don't bugger up the electric harness connector locking pins! H-F Mechanics Pick Set = Best Friend here. Clean when off the engine... Don't move the the motor driven Butterfly Plate too fast and replace the silicone O- Ring with a new one and watch the orientation when re-installing to ensure no vacuum leaks on re-assembly.... Plenty of WHY-DO-THIS & HOW-TO-CLEAN Videos on Youtube:

2010-07-26_191401_qrgqerqgrgq.gif

(4) Wrecking Yards are NOT renown for their Delicate Dis-Assembly Techniques! Examine EVERY SINGLE BOLT HOLE ON THE EXHAUST FLANGE AREAS OF THE ENGINE HEAD FOR ANY HIDDEN BROKEN OFF BOLT STUBS B4 YOU DROP THAT ENGINE IN THE TB!

(5) Drain the Oil and remove the Oil Filter, Break it OPEN and RUN A NEODYMIUM MAGNET on a string around the cannister paper filer and in the bottom of the drained oil looking for the presence of medium and large pieces of metal ferrous and non-ferrous metal... brass, aluminum, Babbitt bearing material and steel present indicate the motor might need to be looked at inside B4 installation.

(6) Examine the Flex-Plate for any cracks around the crankshaft mounting bolts... Smack it LIGHTLY with a Dead Blow Hammer or Plastic Mallet... if it does not Ring Like a Brass Bell... look closer for any Fine Fractures or Crack Lines running in nearly straight lines between all of the bolts around the back end of the crankshaft take-off flange. If present... they indicate Severe Fractures in the Flex-Plate and a Bad Crankshaft Thrust Bearing.This is usually caused by very hard use in 4WD and severe stress on the engine, The diagnosis will be confirmed if there is excessive end to end play... nose to tail on the crankshaft inside the block. If it is really excessive.. even after replacing the Damaged Flex-Plate with a Brand NEW one... in a very brief time... the thing will weaken and crack and fail completely... all over again.

iu

(7) Water Pump.... Better now... B4 you put the engine in the SUV ...than in six months...or six weeks...or even six days...Who knows? You get the idea... Plenty of WHY-DO-THIS & HOW-TO-CLEAN Videos on Youtube. If not NOW... then THIS WAY LATER:

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2004-chevrolet-trailblazer-04-water-pump

large.jpg

(8) B4 You start this engine.... Fill up the Crankcase with Mobil1 5W-30 Motor Oil and use either a K&N Oil Filter or a Mobil1 or Amsoil Oil Filter. IMPORTANT: FILL THE OIL FILTER UP COMPLETELY... AND BE PATIENT AS IT WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO DO THIS RIGHT! Pull the Fuel Pump Relay...or pull the Fuel Injector Fuses (...courtesy watching instructional videos done by @MAY03LT...) and use the start cycle to turn the engine over for about 45 seconds with a Fresh Battery. This will allow the Gerotar Oil Pump to push fresh Motor Oil throughout the engine galleys and the upper Valve Train (It might take several 45 second tries to get the oil way up top-side into the engine head). If the motor has been sitting dormant for YEARS... First... Pull all of the spark plugs out and spray a LITTLE 3&1 Oil (NOT TOO MUCH!) down inside each cylinder and put a rolled up paper napkin inside each Spark Plug Well, so that when you turn the motor over...the piston compression does not spray oil all over you and the engine compartment. Afterwards... clean out the Spark Plug Wells and install a set of fresh OEM ONLY Spark Plugs... DO NOT GAP THEM OR TOUCH THEIR PLATINUM TIPS!

(9) About Replacing the Rear Main Seal... ABSOLUTELY! However... when you purchase it...it will come fitted inside of a White Plastic Carrier... DO NOT PULL THE SEAL OUT OF THE WHITE PLASTIC CARRIER... Clean the hardened engine oil "varnish" off of the edges of the crankshaft opening and the exposed OD of the crankshaft as well with a rag soaked in Lacquer Thinner FIRST. If you do not have the large K&M Seal Installation Tool... then the best alternative procedure is to sit on a small stool facing the end of the crankshaft with a dead on view and while holding the white carrier in the correct position around the OD of the Crankshaft... Then use a Dead Blow Hammer or a Large Plastic Mallet and lightly and SQUARELY... gently tap the seal in the sequence of: 12 then 6 then 9 then 3 then 11 then 4 then 7 then 1 positions and alternate that same pattern, very slowly... again and again until the entire seal is finally snug and flush with the rear metal surface of the Engine Block.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2016
Florida
Also they chared a core on my engine of 100 dollars. I kept mine and stripped all the good parts .Between scrapping the block and using some of the parts it has already given me my core charge back

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Bryandaytona06 What happened to the engine block that demanded replacing it... and do you still have it In the Daytona Beach area?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2016
Florida
@Bryandaytona06 What happened to the engine block that demanded replacing it... and do still have it In the Daytona Beach area?
First answer no I don't I scrapped it .
As for what happened I suspect that poor maintenance from the previous owner created sludge and clogged the screen on the oil pick up tube . I lost oil pressure after a short run on the highway and it seized. When I removed the oil pan the pickup was blocked and the sludge in valve train was unreal.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Wow... What could be worse? Thanks for the explanation...

Reactions: Bryandaytona06

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
new engine is in... well 104k used engine... it runs perfect, drove the truck 80 miles and then had it inspected. Installed a new radiator, temp sending unit, rear main seal, 1 coil pack from my old eng. (I kept the rest from it as spares) New w/p and serpentine belt as well as oil and filter change. The #4 cyl was locked up(old motor), I guess from water collecting in the cyl after I turned off the eng. I did not do the work, the shop the sold me the motor recommended a shop to do it and they only quoted me $500, and they from all appearances did a great job. Although they apparently had never seen a setup like these trucks where the axles go there the oil pan...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Having done a motor swap myself, it is more work intensive so you got a really good deal for $500 labour! I would have had it done at that price.

Reactions: mrrsm and gmc4flash

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
First answer no I don't I scrapped it .
As for what happened I suspect that poor maintenance from the previous owner created sludge and clogged the screen on the oil pick up tube . I lost oil pressure after a short run on the highway and it seized. When I removed the oil pan the pickup was blocked and the sludge in valve train was unreal.

Just curious was there sludge on the oil filler cap?

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
I ended up at $1260 for the used 104k engine with shipping from Ohio to TX, $500 for the install plus about $200 for misc odds and ends ... which even tho it has 104k on it.. seems like a bargain compared to the $85k thread going for a cyl head replacement! I had meant to add to my original post ... Thanks to all the folks on here that so generously donate their time and experience.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
so had a minor hiccup ... AC died after a couple of days, decided not to jump to any conclusions with my installer and took it to my local trusted AC guy who charged me $160 to replace a pressure valve (and recharge the system) that apparently fails so often in gm vehicles he buys them 10 at a time. So far so good!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.