Upper shock mount bolt,weird question

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So as u all know my truck is bagged,well long story short my upper shock mount bolt on the rear seems like the shoulder is too long because with the nut tightened all the way u can still see the shoulder and the shock makes alot of noise. My question is if I buy a grade 8 or higher bolt to replace the 12x1.75mm bolt does it HAVE to have a shoulder at all or can it be fully threaded? I Understand the shock itself sits in the shoulder but what other reason is for the shoulder? Maybe so u dont over tighten? or will the bolt back off if it doesnt have a shoulder to stop? thanks guys.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I would buy another bolt. I imagine the bolt is supposed to be pretty tight tolerance for the mounts on the shock. That's definately ur noise. Is the bolt oem??

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
you should shim any gap you have with washers, then torque the bolt down good and tight so there is no movement.
...if it was a regular truck

being that you are bagged i don't know how much change in geometry there is between full up/down so i don't know if torquing it down all the way will end up ripping the bushings...

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Dont think the bolt is oem,but the upper shock mounts also arent oem. I think i will do u what u said jimmy and shim the bolt until i can tighten the shock down real tight

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well the good thing is the actual shock is completely vertical so with the truck up or down the actual mounting point doesnt move so i should be ok to tighten it down good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online