Upper Control Arm spacing help needed

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Here's the deal... I'm running on a set of 22x9.5 wheels wrapped with 285/40 rubber. I also am currently employing the use of MarkMC 1.5" spacers to give my tires some clearance from where the steering knuckle and upper control arm come together, more specifically the rounded part of the top of the steering knuckle where the bolt mounts. This moves my wheels out a little farther from the body than I would ideally prefer. Haven't had any "road rash" from rock chips or anything yet...and everything works fine, but aesthetically i'd like to pull them in a bit. In hindsight, of course, I should have gone with wheels that were 9" wide or less, but at this point that is irrelevant. I contacted MarkMc to see if he made spacers that were .75" or even 1" but he confirmed my suspicion that they need to be 1.5" to maintain structural ridgidity. So I ask your opinions/advice as to if there is anything I can do to give me at least a half inch of clearance needed so I can take the spacers off. I had read about some guys grinding down the rounded part on the joint that connects the two, and looked online for aftermarket knuckles but to no surprise, there aren't any. Anybody got any ideas?:confused:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11
  • TB Knuckle.jpg
    TB Knuckle.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 11

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Don't know if it helps but here are mine with no spacers and stock rims with 245/70R17
View attachment 29070

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 18

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Sir ffeJ said:
Don't know if it helps but here are mine with no spacers and stock rims with 245/70R17
View attachment 15624
That may help, actually. Because 40mm (the difference between your tire width and mine) equals 1.574 inches, roughly the same width of my spacers...hmm:undecided:... have you ever run into any issues with your tires making contact with that part?

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
No none at all. I do some mild off roading and have not made contact. I'm talking logging roads, not the crazy boulder climbing stuff.

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Sir ffeJ said:
No none at all. I do some mild off roading and have not made contact. I'm talking logging roads, not the crazy boulder climbing stuff.

Thanks man! Although in my previous calculations, I forgot to take the backspacing of the wheel itself into account. :duh: I believe my offset is +30...anyone know the backspace on the stock wheels?

ylab

Dec 6, 2011
Not to state the obvious, but have you tried fitting your tire/rim combo without the spacers? - That gap or spacing between the tire shoulder and ball-joint mount on the knuckle doesn't really alter as you drive. (It moves with the wheel). Other than the tire/rim run out or the tire slightly deflects at speed taking a turn, that space/gap will remain relatively constant. Jack the thing up, pull off the wheel, spacer and test fit the wheel.....you may be pleasantly surprised. No guarantee of course, as there's small differences between tires of the same size even, but it might be you don't need the spacers. - It's going to be close with 31" tires, but IF the tires are on the smaller range of 31" they may fit. Depending upon rim/make-brand 31" tires may or may not fit without the spacers.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
BINGA said:
Thanks man! Although in my previous calculations, I forgot to take the backspacing of the wheel itself into account. :duh: I believe my offset is +30...anyone know the backspace on the stock wheels?

+50. Your offset should help.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
It's already been stated, but for all practical purposes the upper ball joint and tire isn't going to change in distance from each other. There's a little bit of flex in the sidewall at speed and while turning, but it's not really enough to be worried about in your case. You appear to have plenty of room.
Guys have ground on the spindle some, but since the upper balljoint is pressed into the spindle I'd be hesitant to remove material from it.

You can get thinner spacers, but then you have to cut the wheel studs and clean up the threads, or press out the old studs and press in new ones. It's a pain in the ass.

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks for all the input guys! I actually took the spacers off, and boy is it close, but I just got back from a 600 mile round-trip vacation and did not experience any issues. The wheel/tire combo looks better for my preferences (not so far out as to rooster tail water or throw up rocks) too and still stick out further than the factory ones did, but still tuck in nicely to the wheel wells. Again, thanks for all the feedback/advice :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online