SOLVED! U1000 U1016 no start no crank

User#3

Original poster
Jun 9, 2024
Kansas
I have 2006 buick rainier 4.2 with a no start no crank condition. After checking the starter relay everything seems good. The pcm is not grounding the starter relay circuit. Swapped pcm and same issue.

I have no communications to the pcm with tech 2. I also have no radio, hvac lights. Looking at wiring diagrams and possible fixes for the last couple of weeks has me puzzled. Everything seems to check out but i know i must be missing something stupid. Gounds on pcm connectors seem ok.

Can anyone provide some diagnostic info on where to look next. I've looked into both splice packs and have signals on most modules. I believe it pcm wiring related but i cant seem to find a trouble tree way of diagnosis for the U1016 code. Im usually pretty good with electrical diagnosis but dont have experience with class 2 communication, still learning.

Im going to check pcm c1 pin 13, 18, 19, and 20 for power after work. Any help is greatly appreciated since ive been researching way too much and am getting blinded by possible causes.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

This entire Thread will assist you...BUT... Bounce to Post #33 FIRST...and Download, Save and Use... the information provided by Will Robinson's Epic Class 2 Video Example Seminar.

You have the Tech 2 so you are MORE than Half Way There to a Solution...You might also try getting an inexpensive Two Channel Oscilloscope for the OTHER Half... but you "WILL" (Pun Intended) be able to sort this issue out in a very direct manner even without one.

Beware HANTA Virus Carrying Mice and Rats setting up "Homes on Homes Under the Hood"

( The Under-Hood GMT360 Images come to us courtesy @christo829 )

COVID-19-vs-Hantavirus.pngHANTAVIRUSHEADLINES2.jpgHANTAVIRUSHEADLINES7.jpgHANTAVIRUSHEADLINES11.jpghantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome-799889034.jpgIMG_20200208_135901440.jpgIMG_20200208_140623372_HDR.jpgIMG_20200208_140636317_HDR.jpgIMG_20200208_140734498_HDR.jpg

Use a Bright Flashlight, Eye Protection, an N-95 Mouth and Nose Mask and M11 Nitrile Gloves...Clean Up the Friable Feces and Urine with WET WIPES Only... NO COMPRESSED AIR or Canned Air. Keep the Infected Dust and Nesting Materials quiescent... Carefully Dispose of the Rats-Mice in Traps and other Debris in Large Zip Lok Bags...Keep Family, Strangers and Pets AWAY while you work during any Clean Ups:

Much More about Oscilloscopes HERE:

Hope These All Help... :>)

Attachments

• Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) Florida Department of Health.pdf
    376.1 KB · Views: 0
  • hps-fact-sheet.pdf
    205.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I've looked into both splice packs and have signals on most modules

Can you elaborate on this? You "looked into" them with what? And what do you you mean you have "signals" on most modules?

If you happen to have one of these $15 bluetooth OBD adapters it is possible to simply look at the data stream for clues.

Here is a sample look where I just monitor the data stream.

Reactions: mrrsm

User#3

Original poster
Jun 9, 2024
Kansas
Thank you for all your help. I found a very small cut in the orange 12v battery wire pcm 20 to fuse 10, near the harness. Started it up and i plan on patching all the wiring up tomorrow. I tend to overlook the simple things but im glad it was an easy fix.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and as the OP Solves the Problem in the End... The Crowd Goes WILD!

What an AWE-Spicious (Auspicious) First Thread!

You've just Won a FREE Tech2PATHS PDF to assist You with a WIDE Range of GM-GMC Class 2 Network, System and Module via Tech 2 Diagnostics:

Attachments

• gm_tech2_paths.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: User#3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online