u-joints

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
So I was under my truck today and looking around. I searched this site and on the net, as well as the old site but saw very little info regarding u-joints.

I have a 03 4x4 trailblazer.

I saw that there is only 3 u-joints, 2 on the rear driveshaft and 1 on the front. Is this correct?

From what I can gather, the rear you have to undo the straps and slide the driveshaft out towards the rear?

For the front their is a pair of straps. When you undo them, do you slide the driveshaft backwards and drop it? Because there is the crossmember there.

I also noticed that because 4x4 wasnt engaged, there was a bit of play on the front driveshaft. I know that it rotates making access to the straps easier.

I plan to do the u-joints this summer and any info would be much appreciated.

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
If you have never done u-joints like ours before you will need to know one thing about them. When you go to replace them you have to use a blowtorch and heat the driveshaft ears for like 10 mins until the plastic lock ring melts and shoots out the little hole in the joint. Keep heating it until it stops oozing. Then you can knock the caps out like normal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175