Turning Steering Noise Trailblazer

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
2008 TB, 118k, 4.2.

A few weeks ago, I started hearing a click type noise when turning the wheel to the left. I can slightly feel it in the steering wheel as well. When I had a helper turn the wheel for me, I could feel it in the left upper ball joint/control arm. I just finished replacing that ball joint and still have the problem Steering fluid is good. Only happens when it is on the ground, not when I have the front end raised. Any suggestions what to look at or assess? Youtube video here:

Early July, I had a shop warranty replace the rack/pinion when I found it leaking. Later that month, I replaced the upper and lower control arms and ball joints (Mevotech). Had a shop do an alignment after replacing those parts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely look at the steering shaft and its u-joint.

Did you check the inner tie rods for looseness? I had installed a pair of Mevo-junk inners and they failed within months. The R&P rebuilder might have used them too on yours. I would highly suspect any and all Mevo-junk parts. (Ask me how I know)

You didn't mention if it does it or not while moving and/or standing still and turning the wheel. That knocking sound is pretty loud and you would think it could be seen and felt where it's coming from.

gmonly

Feb 14, 2023
USA
You can see, he is sitting still. It would do it sitting or moving because it is on the ground. Jack the front of the ground, put a few blocks under the wheels to have that pressure, have someone turn the steering till you hear a click, that would put you in the right area to look at. Be safe and do not go under the vehicle, you can look and know where it is coming from within a safe distance of under it, jack stands would also help for safety.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can see, he is sitting still.
Yes, I saw that but my question is still valid. If it does it only while not moving, it could be an indication of a problem with the R&P since it takes more force to move the wheels while not moving. Wheels in the air has no stress at all so no noise. While moving, there is less stress but more than in the air.

The more info we can get, the better we might solve this issue.

gmonly

Feb 14, 2023
USA
That is why I said to put blocks under the wheels to make that pressure, by having it up, you can see and pinpoint the area the noise is coming from. I would be nervous to drive it with that noise. If it was a ball joint, you can check that with a long pry bar and the tire just off the ground, by prying the tire up and down. Another question would be did he check any movement with the tire just off the ground, left and right, up and down, top pushed in and bottom pushed in? Normal garage inspection test of the front end.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrose907

Members Online