Turn signals as DRL's?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wanting to put HIDs in the truck sometime soon, obviously need to do something with the DRLs.

On my old Regal GS, the turn signal lights were on high for the DRLs, not the headlights. I really don't want to lose the DRL function, I like the added safety.

Any of you electronic guys think that it's possible to switch the DRL voltage from the headlights to the turn signal lights?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
IMO, you're better off either killing the DRL's altogether or doing the capacitor mod to make them run at 100% power.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I did the relay DRL killer and my running lights come on with the truck. Now whether that are still on when I am driving is another story.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
IMO, you're better off either killing the DRL's altogether or doing the capacitor mod to make them run at 100% power.

+1 for the capacitor mod. Works great.

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I don't want the headlights burning all day and all night. There's gotta be a different way.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
groundshock said:
I don't want the headlights burning all day and all night. There's gotta be a different way.

put together a drl killer to remove them fully or just remember to turn them off manually every time your in the car. I do that myself to save there life so there not on all the time also

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
groundshock said:
Wanting to put HIDs in the truck sometime soon, obviously need to do something with the DRLs.

On my old Regal GS, the turn signal lights were on high for the DRLs, not the headlights. I really don't want to lose the DRL function, I like the added safety.

Any of you electronic guys think that it's possible to switch the DRL voltage from the headlights to the turn signal lights?

:undecided: I have this feeling, we've seen this posted before, but I'm too lazy to go look for it.

But... If I was wanting to do a mod like this, I would look into a couple of items.

1. Where does the DRL signal come from? (hint, what wire gets cut when doing the DRL killer mod)
  2. Where do I want that signal to go? Is there a potential source to tap into that's near the DRL signal? (like a parking lamp fuse perhaps :wink:)
  3. How easy would it be to connect the DRL signal, to the parking lamps feed?

Once you answer those questions, you're pretty much home free. Just gotta get your hardware connected up and test it to make sure it functions the way you want. If not, maybe add some relays and additional wire splices in strategic spots to attain your goals. See, easy peasy. :thumbsup:

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I looked over the wiring diagrams and it looks like the pink wire feeds all of the headlight functions and there's no real separate DRL feed. Might be SOL on this one.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
groundshock said:
I looked over the wiring diagrams and it looks like the pink wire feeds all of the headlight functions and there's no real separate DRL feed. Might be SOL on this one.

Another route you could take, would be do the DRL killer, then find a source that is hot at the appropriate times (ignition fuses are the popular ones) and feed that to your parking lights.

Also, you're only SOL if you give up. There's always a way, just have to be patient and stick to it. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online