Transmission ????

dobrodave

Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
I have a 2004 Trailblazer LS. Just started this last week. Driving along and it is like putting it in neutral. Stop turn off the motor let it set for a couple minites start and it will go 3 or 5 miles and does it again. Need help please!!!:confused:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
dobrodave said:
I got it used don't know service history. The fluid level is full it is a little dark.

What's usually suggested with any vehicle you get used without a history is to do a complete fluid change. I know it can be expensive. The engine alone takes 7 quarts (I remember the days of 5-quart V8s) of 5W30, and Mobil 1 Synthetic is what a lot of people seem to point to for good performance and wear prevention. And we haven't even talked about all the other powertrain fluids adding in the cost. But it's really the first step. Setting up a mileage and a fluid service history that YOU know, so you can keep track of it (even if the oil looks new, change it, why not?)

How dark is dark? Any way you could get a photo? I myself am no expert but I'm sure it'd help those who are. Mileage is probably a pretty important thing to know here too.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You got it used how long ago? How many miles? Did a mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Driving it when it loses power like that is potentially very bad if the trans is going through a possible starvation of fluid. Sounds like the trans filter could be clogged, if it were mine, I would drop the trans pan and replace the fliter and the 4-5 qts from the pan drop. Don't do a full trans flush just yet, see if this helps.

Get a deep pan filter and if the trans filter pulls down with some resistance, then don't worry about replacing the small round seal as of yet.

Hopefully the clutches aren't burned up and the 3-4 clutch pack is generally the first to go. I would not drive it anymore until you do this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online