NEED HELP Transmission

zachmo70

Original poster
Jan 27, 2024
Virginia
03 envoy xl. Driving down the road, set cruise at 60. Out of nowhere,high rev, wierd noise, no gear. Pulled over, checked trans fluid. Fluid clean, looks good. Turned back on, from park to drive, no gear with noise. From neutral to D, no noise truck into gear. 5min, same issue, repeat. Any clues? I really need some good news.5403407934zach

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
transfer case has found "neutral".... :smile: Actually, crawl under and check the linkage for the shift cable.... then also check the shift switch on the tranny.

Reactions: zachmo70

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
transfer case has found "neutral"....
If it was the transfer case in neutral, when you put in in Park, it would roll away. If on a flat surface, if you can push it and move, the transfer case is in neutral.

If the shift cable is good, sounds almost as if the transmission pump died. Most other failures you'd get something. Also check for any codes in case it's an electrical issue.

59840Surfer

Apr 19, 2020
Montana
You can run a pressure test to see if the pump is working - but it very likely failed for one reason or another.

My money's on the pump or pump drive because you never mentioned the inability to hold the vehicle stationary in Park. I'll assume that 96.22% of drivers don't use their parking brake.

If it were any other possibility - they could be --- but don't count on it ...

1. Totally destroyed flex plate - shoulda made a lot of noise for a while before it finally grenaded.
2. Totally lost the crank bolts - all of them - again highly unlikely b/o the starter-thingy.

Numbers 1 & 2 above would also keep the starter from working. Fill in the blank here ... whether you can or cannot start the engine.

It IS possible that the pump still works and the input shaft broke too.

Your problem - if you do or don't have pump pressure - means the unit comes out and hits the bench.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online