Transmission line connectors

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Over the weekend I had to change my fan clutch. In the process I cracked the transmission cooler outlet line which was already rusty and needed replacement. Rock Auto has the the lines but the part that connects to the cooler does not have the quick connect fittings. These are AC/Delco parts too. I can't find a picture detailed enough to see the fitting. I can only assume that its a compression fitting, but the limited photos don't look like you can turn that nut. The Dorman part looks the same way. I'm sure someone else has bought these recently. What's the deal with these? Thanks!

EDIT: I did try a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ha! I answered my own question. I found a good photo on Amazon. Its a quick connect just different from the original. Must have been redesigned.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
All parts of the stock tranmission cooler lines use quick-connect fittings. Do NOT unscrew the fittings from the radiator.

Pull the black plastic cap back onto the line off of the fitting. There is a small C-clip that holds the line into the radiator. Remove that (small pick and/or needle nose pliers). With that out the line just pulls back out of the radiator.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
This is why I asked. The replacement line does not have the black plastic cap. The other photos of the line don't show this kind of detail. I was looking for the black plastic.

View attachment 29094

Attachments

• 31t7kGRnjbL._SX385_.jpg
    31t7kGRnjbL._SX385_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 77

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Ah! That's a great pic I see being useful in other discussions on this forum:thumbsup: The black plastic cap would be on the 'male' end of the line.

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
Quick question. I just installed my transmission cooler, and I forgot to pull off the little black protective cap for the quick connect. It is on the transmission line. My question, do I need to pull it off and place it over the new adapter that fits into the transmission? The black cap is just to protect the "E" clip right?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
the plastic part that fits over the jiffy tite connector should have come with the new part.

View attachment 30712

these came on the new lines.

where does your transmission cooler connect to the original lines?

Attachments

• 100_2997.jpg
    100_2997.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 6

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
I bought a $10 adapter "stub" that inserts to the transmission and not a new line. I realize that the question is a little off topic, but I figured this might be a good place to ask.

So to clarify, I attached a rubber hose to the existing return line to transmission. It is on this line where I forgot to pull off the black plastic cap. On the other line to the aux cooler, I am asking do I need to cover the new stub piece that inserts to the transmission. Does this help? Thanks for your response.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Looks like the line you are asking about is connected to the radiator.

It would be better to have the plastic cover in place, the only thing I think could happen without it would be something (small rock(s) of a particular size) being lodged in the clip and somehow working it loose, or increased exposure to salt rusting it so bad it would not hold the fitting together.

I would take it off and put a clip on if you have the clip it and are concerned. you could also just wrap it with some plastic electric tape.

2003 Chevy - TS0403501 Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Pipes

you can buy one if you like (see item 2 at link above)

more likely leak (it seems to me) would be that your hose comes loose from the line.

did you flare the tube before putting the line on where you cut off the original line?

something like this will help prevent the hose slipping off the tube.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13032.html

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online