Transmission Fluid Leaking at front disconnect

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
has anybody encounter this?

the car was not leaking this bad at the disconnect before. i ran the 4x4 (for the first time this year and since i bought the car used 7mo ago) and 2 days ago i noticed my transmission slipping.

i checked the dip stick and it was bone dry. i added 5 qts of tranny oil and it brought the level up to between cold/hot.

i didnt check it agian for two days and today noticed it started slipping again. i checked the dip and bone dry again. i added lukas tranny fix plus 5qt of oil and brought it up to the top of hot line.

drove 1 hr in the highway and it was bone dry again. the last two times i added fluid i noticed the puddle leaking from under the front disconnect (passenger side). my question is...

1)what the hell would cause this leak
1a) earlier in the summer, i noticed that the disconnect had oil on it but i thoguht it was overspill from me pouring oil in the motor.
2) does the 4x4 actuator have a seal that couldve failed?
3) does the disconnect have a seal that maybe could of failed?
4) could it be a bearing inside the disconnect thats causing the whole thing to wobble or not seal right, thus making the seal ok but leaking due to movement?
5) all the above? (please say no!!)

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
if the transmission tubing is leaking, that is the most likely problem.

they like to have fluid, and do not like being low.

where is the tubing leaking? the metal tubing can rust and leak, which is the usual case. (ever drive in the winter when they salt the roads?)

search can help you find more discussion and details of repairs if you want to DIY

if you can share a photo or two, we can help you figure out exactly what is leaking and how to fix it.

Merry Christmas!

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
You obviously have a really bad leak judging by how quickly you are losing it. There are two tranny lines that run right past the disconnect, and they can get really rusted as described in the previous post. I would sure get that rf tire off and perhaps even the half axle off so that you can see where it is coming from. You are thinking that the disconnect is leaking tranny fluid, and that has grease in there not trans fluid - you may indeed have disconnect seals that are worn but that is not the cause of the tranny fluid.

Check out your transmission lines near the disconnect (they run to your tranny cooler under your rad).

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
ok so went to the mechanic today and turns out that one of the hoses (an upper one, i couldnt really tell because it was going up in) was loose. he tightened it up and it immediately stopped leaking (for now). i will double check tomorrow again and see how the dip stick reads hot.

now i have to take care of seals at the splined disconnect which seems to be leaking grease or oil and a seal at the rear differential (#32 from the gm parts).

if any of you know anything about the splined disconnect and the selective 4wd please let me know how many seals in there could fail. the 4x4 engages fine when i switch it to auto, 4hi and 4lo so i know the actuator and bearings are working fine. however, there is oil towards the bottom of it. off the bat im thinking 3 seals. two in front of the disconnect and one after the back plate (thats three seals # 1, 2 and 8 from gmparts). now, the one thing i dont know if its the actuator has a seal that can be changed.

it was a good trip to the shop because i was able to somehow/someway get my rear defogger and wippers working again by what i can only assume was "shocking" the relays at the lgm. the mechanic put a volt machine to it beeped a few times and then the two items that worked intermittently started working fine.

next up is the friking mode actuator and trying to figure out why i get no air blowing out of the second row seats ceiling.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
1 and 8 are seals. all three of the #2 are bearings.

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
hmm, didnt even notice that #2 were bearings...would they be relevant if the 4x4 engages when i switch it on? i pretty much want to change the seals as a preventive measure (to keep it from leaking oil).

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
As a preventive measure yes. They support the rotating pieces. So they do get wear on them.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hang on.

The 4x4 disconnect has no connection with the transmission. Replacing the seals and stuff in the disconnect is not going to affect the transmission at all. Now, if the disconnect is worn or the seals worn it should still be fixed up to keep it in good functional order (good write up on ORTB). The disconnect is packed with grease.

There are two transmission cooler lines that run along the passenger side fender well. That would be the only place for a transmission leak anywhere near the disconnect. Those lines do sometimes rust and need replaced.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Im looking at gmpartdirect for the seals but they show two #1 (one for the assembly with the 4wd actuator and one without), but dont spwcify which one is for which. I sent a vin check to gmpartsdirect to see what they say. I need seal 1 and 8 at the disconnect and seal 32 for the rear differential. Shop is charging $200 to replace both (that a good price).

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
mrjean said:
Im looking at gmpartdirect for the seals but they show two #1 (one for the assembly with the 4wd actuator and one without), but dont spwcify which one is for which. I sent a vin check to gmpartsdirect to see what they say. I need seal 1 and 8 at the disconnect and seal 32 for the rear differential. Shop is charging $200 to replace both (that a good price).
Look, I know you think the seal is leaking; but as Sparky, and others have tried to tell you, is that a leaky transmission cooler line can look like the disconnect is leaking. Change the seal if you wish, but most of us would wait until you are sure the transmission has stopped leaking, the lines are dry and see if the disconnect is still wet. If it is still wet, change the seals. Some of us suspect you will find it will be dry.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online