Transmission dipstick popped out!!

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So i went to pick up my m2 TB from the stealership tonight.. had it at the body shop to get the sunroof glass replaced and my 3rd brake light fixed as well. they had to replace the plastic cover peice and put a new lamp assembly in after painting the cover. So now the problem at hand. When i went to leave the stealership (Billions automotive 41st and westport) i noticed the trans seemed to be slipping. I drove it about 3 block's and decided i better find a spot to pull over and do it pretty damn quick. When i stoped smoke rolled out from under the hood. Not happy at this point at all. I opened the hood and found trans fluid had sprayed out from the dipstick filler tube. The dipstick was out and still in the locked position. There was a gas station about a half a block away so i hiked it over there and got 2 bottles of ATF fluid thinking i can make it home if i put 1 in and check it out tommoro. It never made it home before it was slipping baddly about 2 block's from home. so i opened the hood becuse smoke was again comming out from under the hood and there was a small fire on the heat sheild from the fluid. A bit of mt dew put that out. So i jumped on my 4 wheeler and pulled it into my driveway going to wait till tommoro morning to look it over while it's light outside. But my question is this since it was working fine before i droped it off and i servecied the filter and fluid less than a year ago.. (35k on that fluid change) also had to put new transmision lines on which is why i changed the fluid. Is the dealership responsible for this or is it due to the fact that it sat for a week? any help would be appreciated.

:mad::mad::mad:

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Maybe i should have let the thing burn and then ask the insurance company why after a week at the dealership did my truck burn?? after all it was at the dealership on an insurance claim.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They could have taken it for a joyride, but that's hard to prove without video. Plenty of repair shop staff abuse stories around the net.

Any chance you called them while you first saw the problem, just 3 blocks away? Surely they would have been open. Getting that first report on their radar screen may end up being critical, especially if they might have said get it towed back here FIRST before attempting a self-repair or driving off.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
i would have except they close at 5:30 pm and it was 6:30pm i have sent my insurance company an email letting them know but i damn sure am going to be calling them in the morning (sat ) to find out what's going on.. This is unexceptable to me since i am very good about keeping up on my service when it's due. It has 138,900 miles on it now and im the 3rd owner but i can produce a service record of everything that has ever been done. I bought the truck from my sister and she bought it from a friend of the family.. both took it to the dealership for service when thing's needed to be done. IE oil, transfercase,transmission, diff fluid changed and anything else.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The dipstick coming out happens more than you think. The fix for it, without replacing the dipstick, is to get a washer or two, cut a slot in it with a dremel and put them on just below the locking mechanism of the dipstick. This will tighten the seal when you lock it and prevent it from working it's way out. Ive had mine like that for years with zero problems...something I actually picked up from the OS.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I have it narrowed down to 2 things.. either a pluged vent tube or pluged drain back hole's.. if it's the vent tube i can fix that.. the drain back hole's.. need to take it to my trans shop. the way i see it there is a build up of pressure and it has to go some where. and since the trans worked fine before i had it to the body shop im thinking (and hopeing) the vent tube.. will keep yall posted.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So i got my TB back today.. had to rebuild the transmission.. 4 of the clutches were burned out. and low pressure sensor had to be replaced. From what my guy told me GM runs a low pressure on these transmission's. When the sensor start's to go there is little to no pressure and basicly boils the fluid which caused it to come shooting out the fill tube. There is really no way i can prove that the dealership is at fault as it does have 138k on it. although it has been serviced at the normal intervals it still could just be normal wear and tear. Might have just happend and was just bad timming. but im still pissed at the dealership becuse i can be! I have my ride home and it does shift alot smother than before. He changed the settings in the ECU and bumped the psi up which he said will improve the life as long as normal service is still done. So on the plus side im ahead of doing my service by 12k. also changed my transfer case fluid as well and also changed my spedo settings so im no longer off by 5 mph from running the large tires. checked it with my GPS and it's accurate now. grand total $2026.90.. checked at work (kenworth / GM heavy duty dealership) a factory reman at 10% above cost would run me $1780 plus shipping. So i feel i got a good deal from him and would use him again. So it's a happy glad sad kinda of deal. Happy i got my ride back.. Glad he did not take my first unborn male child.. Sad it happened at all. :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online