Transmission blown?????

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Well tonight on the way home I had the TB on cruse and started up a hill. As I started up the hill the tach suddenly went to the red line! I suddenly had to gears (forward or reverse). This is the first time I have had a problem with the drive line. After I coast to the side of the road I roll the window down and I can hear what almost sounds like a bad exhaust leak from under the TB but it is coming from the transmission. I checked the fluid and it is still red and full ( about 50k on fluid). I can shift to to gears but it acts like the trans is not there no change in RPM at all. Any ideas? Or did I just bite the big one and have to replace the trans?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or the transfer case is gone. Were you current on the 50K transfer case fluid changes?

Not sure this is a good question to ask an Internet forum. We're not there, and certainly can't give you a magic cheap cure from here. Feel bad for you, though. :frown:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
the roadie said:
Or the transfer case is gone. Were you current on the 50K transfer case fluid changes?

Not sure this is a good question to ask an Internet forum. We're not there, and certainly can't give you a magic cheap cure from here. Feel bad for you, though. :frown:

The transfer case was my first thought as well but I still have the holding ability of the transmissions internal brake so the transfer case is still intact. I have the feeling that I lost the sun shell. I may post a video of the noise that is coming from the transmission if anyone wants to hear it. I will probably doing a write up on a transmission change very soon. As far as fluid changes they were changed every 50k in both the trans and transfer units. I was hoping that maybe someone had had a similar problem and the solution was not a transmission replacement. I know it is a long shot but I can hope. In the event that I will have to swap it out I have contacted a couple of companies to get a better than stock 4L65E replacement. I know there are lot of problems with the stock sun shell and pump on these transmissions and if I have to replace it I want something I will not be replacing any time soon.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
novajoe said:
The transfer case was my first thought as well but I still have the holding ability of the transmissions internal brake so the transfer case is still intact. I have the feeling that I lost the sun shell. I may post a video of the noise that is coming from the transmission if anyone wants to hear it. I will probably doing a write up on a transmission change very soon. As far as fluid changes they were changed every 50k in both the trans and transfer units. I was hoping that maybe someone had had a similar problem and the solution was not a transmission replacement. I know it is a long shot but I can hope. In the event that I will have to swap it out I have contacted a couple of companies to get a better than stock 4L65E replacement. I know there are lot of problems with the stock sun shell and pump on these transmissions and if I have to replace it I want something I will not be replacing any time soon.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you continue to hear a growling noise from the transmission after you've stopped, it's either the torque converter or more likely the pump. The pump makes sense because if it isn't building pressure the clutches cannot be applied. The broken sunshell only kills off 2nd and 4th gears and you wouldn't hear a noise at a stop because it isn't turning when stopped. Take it to a trusted transmission shop and have the line pressure checked.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
dfc739 said:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you continue to hear a growling noise from the transmission after you've stopped, it's either the torque converter or more likely the pump. The pump makes sense because if it isn't building pressure the clutches cannot be applied. The broken sunshell only kills off 2nd and 4th gears and you wouldn't hear a noise at a stop because it isn't turning when stopped. Take it to a trusted transmission shop and have the line pressure checked.

It looks like I am going to be buying a crate transmission. I was researching the problem and looking at the problems with the stock 4L65E I would be better off buying an upgraded transmission and not have to worry about the problems in the future. From what I have found the pump, sprags, and sunshell all have a high rate of failure. The performance market has made better parts to over come the weak factory parts. This will also give me the ability to do more power upgrades in the future without worrying about braking the trans. As far as cost the crate may even be a little cheaper than a local rebuild. Just what I am looking at right now.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Post up what you find.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I will. I plan to start tear down this week. here is a list of modifications to the trans I am looking at.

A reprogramming kit (we rework the valve body and completely go through it to make sure there are no stuck valves).
* Raybestoes 9 clutches (replaces the factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum). The 9 clutches are heat treated steels that withstand more heat, delivering longer transmission life.
* Raybestoes high temp energy clutches throughout the the unit, along with all new steels, bushings, and rings.
* A .500 boost valve (insures nice crisp clean shifting with no delays).
* 4140 hardened pump rings
* Teflon Pump bushing (allows more abuse)
* 10 vane pump rotor
* 29 element sprag
* Sonnax Wide Open Throttle Valve
* Sonnax Sunshell (three times thicker than factory).
* Hardened input shaft and drum.
* Kevlar band
* Corvette servo (has 30% more holding power, giving you full throttle shift with out burning up the band).
* We block off the 1,2,3,4 accumulators to give you a solid, firm, and crisp shift. We discard the springs in the accumulator to eliminate problems associated with springs breaking.

* The third level is a radical shift, and you will definitely know when your car engages in gear (if you have your girlfriend or wife in the car you will see her face light up when you take her for a ride).

Real McCoy

Jul 31, 2013
Do you have any links to the builder of that trans? I am interested as mine has many miles on it and worry it may go soon.

Thanks
Doug

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like some solid improvements.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
novajoe said:
I will. I plan to start tear down this week. here is a list of modifications to the trans I am looking at.

A reprogramming kit (we rework the valve body and completely go through it to make sure there are no stuck valves).
* Raybestoes 9 clutches (replaces the factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum). The 9 clutches are heat treated steels that withstand more heat, delivering longer transmission life.
* Raybestoes high temp energy clutches throughout the the unit, along with all new steels, bushings, and rings.
* A .500 boost valve (insures nice crisp clean shifting with no delays).
* 4140 hardened pump rings
* Teflon Pump bushing (allows more abuse)
* 10 vane pump rotor
* 29 element sprag
* Sonnax Wide Open Throttle Valve
* Sonnax Sunshell (three times thicker than factory).
* Hardened input shaft and drum.
* Kevlar band
* Corvette servo (has 30% more holding power, giving you full throttle shift with out burning up the band).
* We block off the 1,2,3,4 accumulators to give you a solid, firm, and crisp shift. We discard the springs in the accumulator to eliminate problems associated with springs breaking.

* The third level is a radical shift, and you will definitely know when your car engages in gear (if you have your girlfriend or wife in the car you will see her face light up when you take her for a ride).

The last line is pretty funny. there is a frequently recurring theme on the gender differences in impact of things related to cars/trucks/suvs most women do not really care.. "light up" may end up referring to the fuse she lights for the ego-reduction emotional bomb she throws at you when the harsh shift makes her put eyeliner on her ear.:rotfl:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
meerschm said:
The last line is pretty funny. there is a frequently recurring theme on the gender differences in impact of things related to cars/trucks/suvs most women do not really care.. "light up" may end up referring to the fuse she lights for the ego-reduction emotional bomb she throws at you when the harsh shift makes her put eyeliner on her ear.:rotfl:

The funny part is that the Trail blazer is the wife's daily driver and she wants the stage three shift. Last time I looked at the top speed on the GPS it read 101mph. After she drove a few of my hot rods she really like the ability to pass people who speed up when you try to go around them. And I had a set of Drag radials burned up by her because someone was nearly under the back bumper acting like an @ss at a stop light and she coated their rice car in melted rubber( I did have to explain to her that the one figure salute is much cheaper than new DR's) As a builder I am building more cars for women now than men.

I will post up the transmission information soon.

Also the red river coming from the weep hole in my bell housing leads me to the conclusion that my pump died. Pics coming soon.

I also went by PCM of NC (formally PCM for Less) To get my PCM re flashed for an E-fan conversion. The rest of the kit will be in next week. So a install post is coming soon.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
well one secret to a happy relationship is to know your spouse.

:thumbsup:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
meerschm said:
well one secret to a happy relationship is to know your spouse.

:thumbsup:

I got really lucky there! She even spent three days in 110+ degree weather for a pinks all out event! Made it to Semi finals then they picked the slower group for the final TV run! Was still a lot of fun and the Trail Blazer was there as a support vehicle. ( we had four vehicles entered)

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Sorry to hear about the tranny. I was going to say that I don't think the sunshell went out because when mine did, I still had two gears to drive with. I also had to park carefully since I couldn't reverse.

As for Raybestoes clutches... why not use Red Eagle or Borg Warner?
Also drop in the AC Delco rear 5 pinion planets.

Or just go to this site and check out all the things you can do with the 4L60e 4L60E Performance Transmissions from PATC

This is the page where I got most of the ideas to tell my tranny guy what to do when he rebuilt mine. He was surprised by my list.
The only thing that wasn't available at the time was the 5 pinion planet.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
seanpooh said:
Sorry to hear about the tranny. I was going to say that I don't think the sunshell went out because when mine did, I still had two gears to drive with. I also had to park carefully since I couldn't reverse.

As for Raybestoes clutches... why not use Red Eagle or Borg Warner?
Also drop in the AC Delco rear 5 pinion planets.

Or just go to this site and check out all the things you can do with the 4L60e 4L60E Performance Transmissions from PATC

This is the page where I got most of the ideas to tell my tranny guy what to do when he rebuilt mine. He was surprised by my list.
The only thing that wasn't available at the time was the 5 pinion planet.

From what I have researched the Raybestoes clutches Work (even used in high HP racing transmissions) I could go with a heaver clutch like red eagle but it would be a waste of money because I am going to be under 600 HP even with the addition of a blower (coming next year if all goes well) I am basically putting in a transmission that has all the factory problems fixed that will hold up to the daily grind and the occasional trailer hauling while trying to avoid the new problems of an all out racing transmission. 4L60E Performance Transmissions from PATC has some nice information but the prices seem high! I have narrowed my decision to two companies and will have the decision made today.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Looks like they are semi local to me. Good find and I hope I wont have to visit them anytime soon unless its to get them on the Amsoil installer program or Retail program.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Some pics of the new trans. I didn't get pics during the install because my help was sick. I do have a few more pics to upload later.

Attachments

• Arival.jpg
    Arival.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
  • crate.jpg
    crate.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2
  • install.jpg
    install.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 2
  • unpack.jpg
    unpack.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 3

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Sorry to hear what happened to the original trans .. Same exact thing happened to me. I went with a new GM crate trans with upgraded parts and a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. God luck with the upgrade

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online