Trans Swap from 08 Envoy to 05 Envoy

Furious92

Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Ohio
So I have recently bought another Envoy 🙃. 70k mileage but with a blown trans. Already have the trans out, and going through it, a lot is going to need replaced. I'm curious if I can swap my trans from my 08 into this 05. Both are 4x4, but wasn't sure if anything else was different. Thanks for all your help guys, I owe you all a beer or coffee forsure.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It should be a straight swap.

The '08 will have a separate Transmission Control Module, outboard from the ECM.
If the '05 also has this (it should), then the harnesses will be the same, and any mechanical differences will be miniscule.

If the '05 doesn't have the outboard TCM, then the wiring harness and plug that it mates to on the trans would need to be swapped out, at a minimum. You'd also want to check if any of the output wires on the TCM-controlled harness referenced a function that didn't exist on the other (non-TCM controlled) trans.

Both are 4WD, so you won't have any issues with output shaft length.

There should be no mechanical differences in the way that they connect to the engine block, shift cable, etc. If you're in there, it might be a good idea to refresh the little plug that connects the shift cable to the trans; the OEM ones fail, so if it looks marginal, just go ahead and replace it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Turns out.. Even if its not 4x4.. A little bit of work with a angle grinder, and it will work!.
Toyota guys have been doing this for a long time turns out.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - Using your logic here..

Does the same apply, with no differences in wiring?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not sure about that one. More research would need to be done because there was a change in 07 or 08 but it could have just been internal. All I really know is that the shift kits for them changed in 07.

Furious92

Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Ohio
I talked to my friends dad who used to run a trans shop back when I was a kid. He said it should be plug and play, and that the 08 trans may have had an extra sensor but that the older car wouldn't use it anyways. So in the next few days, I'll get a chance to crawl under and take it out. Just happy to get another Voy, and figured swapping transmissions was a much less labor extensive job than pulling a motor to put in my old one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online