Trailer brake controller

bmcutright

Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
04 TB 4x4, came with an aftermarket trailer brake controller installed. The mount for it has been broken, so nowbi have the device swinging around my feet when I drive. Does anyone have experience installing one? I don't plan on towing anything with its own brakes, and would like advice on removing it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
What kind is it? Most of them have a pigtail that you can just unplug from the controller and tie it up out of the way.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
If they used an adapter harness you may be able to unplug the entire thing from the truck. Did you attempt to track down the wiring? I also concur with djthumper on unplugging the harness from the unit and strapping them up. If it were me I would get a bracket and leave it in place, you never know when your situation may change and you need it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Factory plugs are right behind panel do you can likely just unplug it right there

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And if it was redneck hacked (connector cut off and wired direct), you can just cut off the wires and tape them up.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I actually had to solder my controller wires into the truck harness. There was no plug.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought all of the platform had plugs under the steering column factory.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do remember lopping off the connector from the controller but I think you're right. There was no connector under the dash. And the wiring diagrams say so too.

Trailer wiring.jpg

Reactions: djthumper

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You are right it is not a plug, just that the needed wires are coiled up behind the panel.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online