Trailblazer exhaust manifold cracked again after being replaced

nike0777

Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Hello,
I have a 2008 Trailblazer and had a cracked manifold replaced about two years ago. GM covered it completely under a special extended warranty since it was a known problem, but now the replacement manifold has cracked as well. I called GM and they are looking into whether the cracked replacement will be covered as well. Has anyone had a replacement manifold break and if so did GM cover the cost a second time?

Thanks for any info!

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
They didn't change the design of the manifold, the new one is just as prone to cracking as the original.

jellybean

Oct 14, 2013
i just changed mine out last night on my 05, it was almost cracked all the way around into two pieces. unfortunately i had not warranty or coverage on it but the new one i got has a lifetime warranty on it, just hope i dont have to change that thing again, defiantly a big pain in my arse, of course there's probably an easier way to do it, than how i did, but it was a first time thing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I replaced my engine, mine had a crack. The used replacement engine (from an '03) had the manifold still attached, it was also cracked. I got a new aftermarket manifold from eBay that said it was improved from the OE design. Three years so far, all good.

gbernich

Oct 13, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new on this forum and saw this thread. I have a 2003 Trailblazer 4.2L with 200k miles.
I had my exhaust manifold and gaskets replaced at about 180k miles. I recently have developed an exhaust leak again and I brought it in to a shop (new customer since I'm away at school). They told me the right side manifold needs to be replaced. Now I'm a little confused because I thought the manifold on this car was one piece. Am I missing something here? Or does this shop not know what they are doing. Thanks for any advice!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
There's a chance the new one could have. Did it come with a warranty from the manufacturer or shop? 20k miles to have a new one crack would not be fun. There is only one exhaust manifold on a stock I6.

Start it up in the morning when it is cold. Look underneath and see where the leak is from the spewing exhaust. Or under the hood.

gbernich

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks. I will be in town where my mechanic is that replaced the manifold originally. I will have him look at it. Hopefully I will get some kind of discount. However, I do have a 900 mile trip coming up. Is this a bad idea with a cracked manifold?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Depends how much attention you like and how loud it is lol. I would fix it to get things in order especially before a trip. It won't be getting any better during or after. Could just be loose bolts. Will it stop you from driving all day for 900 miles? Not if I HAD to.

gbernich

Oct 13, 2013
Haha I see what you mean. It's not terribly loud. Last time I had the leak it was a lot louder. So maybe its just got some loose bolts. The reason I want to hold off until after the trip is because that's when I'll be in town where my mechanic is (who replaced the manifold, and I also trust him very much so).

Is it tough to get the shield off to look at the manifold?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Go back to that shop and tell them you've read it has happened, you'll read it in other threads. Never to me yet, at least that I can tell. But others have. Ask them to check it. If it was over a 12 months ago I wouldn't expect much. My local shop would pull me in and tell me to back it out after the few minutes on a lift. Unless you have codes or problems with it running or mpgs I wouldn't sweat it too much.

gbernich

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks a lot for the help. I am going to take a look at it with a buddy that knows quite a bit. If it is cracked, I will probably have the mechanic where I am now do it (Indiana). They gave me a better price ($470) than my mechanic at home did it for 20k miles ago ($640). By the way, that was about 16 months ago :frown:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online