Tow Mirrors

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
So basically I haven't done anything to the TB in awhile and I think its about time for a mod. While I was heading back to college last week with my snowmobile trailer I got pulled over for no mirror extensions which got me thinking. I'm thinking of going a more permanent option considering 5 out of 6 times I head home from college I am pulling my trail with either the sleds or my bike. So after a lot of research I came across this link. Sheffenacker Tow Mirrors - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum Which got me thinking that any 99 -06 full size Chevy/GMC mirror should work.
After spending time looking at my options I think I have it narrowed down to this mirror. I'm not 100% sure it will work nor am I sure I will like it. But I figure if either one of those are true I'll just send them back.
Amazon.com: Fit System 62075G Chevrolet/GMC Heated Power Replacement Folding Dual Towing Mirror w/ Turn Signal (Passenger Side): Automotive
CHEVY SILVERADO 2003-2007 POWER HEATED SIGNAL TOW TOWING MIRROR (New Pair) | eBay
Their the same mirror as far as I can tell I just put up the amazon link for the pic that I used in my Photoshop.


I'm still thinking about it and am having a hard time pulling the trigger so I figured I'd see what everyone thinks.
The Photoshop pics are an estimate on the size they could be bigger or smaller I wasn't really sure so I just guessed on the sizes.

Any suggestions?
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
I think it looks good, but I don't know how effective the mirrors would be on an actual trail as I know things can probably get a bit tight out there. If they fold in, thats great too, but then what's the point if they cannot be used part of the time?
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
Voymom said:
I think it looks good, but I don't know how effective the mirrors would be on an actual trail as I know things can probably get a bit tight out there. If they fold in, thats great too, but then what's the point if they cannot be used part of the time?
They do fold in if they needed to be and as far as tight trails sand dunes are more my place.

To give a better idea of size difference they would be about 4.5 inches wider and 5 inches taller than stock
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Kuchar09 said:
They do fold in if they needed to be and as far as tight trails sand dunes are more my place.

Well in that case go for it!! I like the look a lot.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
You got pulled over for no extended mirrors? I can't imagine a snowmobile trailer is all that wide or bulky that you couldn't see with the stock ones... I could be wrong because I've never seen it, but my gut feeling is the cop was bored or ticked off and wanted to screw with someone, and a modded vehicle was the perfect target.
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
Sparky said:
You got pulled over for no extended mirrors? I can't imagine a snowmobile trailer is all that wide or bulky that you couldn't see with the stock ones... I could be wrong because I've never seen it, but my gut feeling is the cop was bored or ticked off and wanted to screw with someone, and a modded vehicle was the perfect target.

I sure did... I think he just wanted to check out a lifted TB. :eek:
I actually put a camera in the trailer so I could see behind me but the sun blinded the camera so it was basically useless. I showed him the camera but he said it wasn't fully practical if I couldn't see him. It was a fix-it ticket so no biggie just gives me a reason to change something.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
I just changed the driver's mirror on my Avalanche. It uses the '07 and up mirror, so I can not compare to the '06 mirrors.

The '07 and up mirrors have a bigger mirror base than I remember the Envoy having.

My suggestion, take some measurements, or draw out a template, and compare your base to bases on fullsize trucks in a used car lot.

There is also a cheaper way to go, a number of suppliers offer tow mirror clip-ons, that fasten to the originals.
 

Joe_Coach

Member
Dec 17, 2011
17
How much would you have to mod the base to get it to fit the TB?
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
Without the two mirrors side by side, I don't know.

I'm only suggesting the mirror might not fix to save op from buying one and then saying, "f*#k, it won't fit" :rotfl:
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
Joe_Coach said:
How much would you have to mod the base to get it to fit the TB?

Sheffenacker Tow Mirrors - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

In the link I posted above in post #8 it is stated that "Not a direct bolt on. Made for a full size chevy truck. I had to drill two new mounting holes for each mirror."
and also in post #11 "They were from a 99 -06 full size Chevy/GMC. Like he said above he did have to do some minor things to get them to fit. "

So basically if my understanding is correct these should work with minor modifications since these mirrors do fall into this category.
I'm just not %100 sure I like them but they are growing on me and it would be something different and also useful.
 

muddy tires

Member
Dec 5, 2011
63
Sparky said:
You got pulled over for no extended mirrors? I can't imagine a snowmobile trailer is all that wide or bulky that you couldn't see with the stock ones... I could be wrong because I've never seen it, but my gut feeling is the cop was bored or ticked off and wanted to screw with someone, and a modded vehicle was the perfect target.

A double snowmobile trailer is 101" wide (wider than most campers). If it's enclosed you can't see anything with the stock mirrors until it's beside you.

To the OP. I have a 3/4 ton chevy with the extendible tow mirrors. I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are WAY better than any clip on option. On the Duramax forums, the Dodge flip up towing mirrors are a popular mod but I think they would look funny on a TB/Envoy. http://www.monsterautoparts.com/DODGE/PICKUP/Dodge_Ram_pickup_truck_towing_mirror_manual_Left.htm
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
muddy tires said:
A double snowmobile trailer is 101" wide (wider than most campers). If it's enclosed you can't see anything with the stock mirrors until it's beside you.

To the OP. I have a 3/4 ton chevy with the extendible tow mirrors. I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are WAY better than any clip on option. On the Duramax forums, the Dodge flip up towing mirrors are a popular mod but I think they would look funny on a TB/Envoy. Dodge Truck Flip Up Towing Mirror At Monster Auto Parts

Humm those look interesting, but I think they would look a little weird on a TB. I'm not sure how the GM tow mirrors are going to look but I think I'm going to pull the trigger in a few weeks after my exams.
I'm not looking forward to having to cut the mirror harness to wire them up, but I don't really see any other options. Unless anyone has a junk mirror that doesn't need the harness.
I'm looking at these ones instead since their cheaper (in case they don't work) and I like how the blinkers are on the side of the mirror instead of in the glass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverado-Sierra-Power-Heat-Turn-Signal-Pair-Camp-Tow-Side-Mirror-Telescoping-/190656124106?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item2c63fd94ca
 

Porkins

Member
Dec 5, 2011
6,960
Sounds interesting, Always wanted bigger mirrors. Going to follow this thread in hopes of a write-up!

edit: Also like the look of the last mirrors.
 

TexazReece

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,341
I like those mirrors nice and clean look + they extend outward when needed in towing a trailer if I'm not mistaken. They are off a silverado hd :undecided:
 

bigytwotone

Member
Dec 7, 2011
489
Dawson creek BC Canada
yep they are off the silveardo hd and they do extend and have heated mirrors and have the turn signal in them to so they have all the options i have :biggrin::biggrin: i think i will be putting them on this summer so keep your eyes open and you might see a new look to the trailblazer :raspberry:
 

TexazReece

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,341
That's gonna look sweeet make sure you post pics bro. I guess you might have inspired others which way to go when looking for tow mirror mod. Well done :cool::thumbsup:
 

Uncle Blazer

Member
Dec 8, 2011
263
bigytwotone said:
so i got a good idea i took my mothers mirrors off her truck and wanted to ask you what y'all think of the look.
View attachment 5962

Sounds like you should just swap mirrors with you mom, i'm sure she wont mind. actually, just do it and see if she notices. I can only come up with a very short list of women drivers who ever actually use them.
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
jham said:
Those look good :thumbsup: how's the lines line up?

Thats where I'm running into a little of an issue.
I can get them to follow the lines of the TB but if I do that I fell like I have to adjust the mirror quite a bit so I'm not looking at the ground.
I'm going to check out the same mirrors on my friends truck before I decide exactly how I want to mount them. Here is a pic to kinda explain what I'm talking about.

The weird thing is these are basically the same year wise mirrors that are on my parents vehicles and in the background you can see that the housing on the mirror is perfectly straight which is what I tried doing with mine so I feel like the mirrors would be adjusted just as much on their vehicles. This probably seems a little confusing to most of you guys.

I cut the other mirror out of the picture since they make these look freakishly large lol

 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
Seeing both the mirrors make me not like them as much, but I fell like you guys should still see a comparison picture.
If you don't like it just put your hand over the little mirror... Thats what I'm doing :rotfl:
 

jham

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,334
Kuchar09 said:
Thats where I'm running into a little of an issue.
I can get them to follow the lines of the TB but if I do that I fell like I have to adjust the mirror quite a bit so I'm not looking at the ground.
I'm going to check out the same mirrors on my friends truck before I decide exactly how I want to mount them. Here is a pic to kinda explain what I'm talking about.

The weird thing is these are basically the same year wise mirrors that are on my parents vehicles and in the background you can see that the housing on the mirror is perfectly straight which is what I tried doing with mine so I feel like the mirrors would be adjusted just as much on their vehicles. This probably seems a little confusing to most of you guys.

I cut the other mirror out of the picture since they make these look freakishly large lol


Ya I can see what you are saying. I have been pondering about the lines and was thinking of finding a body shop that does alot of fiberglass work to see what they can do to make the lines right
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
jham said:
Ya I can see what you are saying. I have been pondering about the lines and was thinking of finding a body shop that does alot of fiberglass work to see what they can do to make the lines right
I have an idea to fill in the space and make them look perfect tomorrow, but I can't really level out the mirror without massing up the lines so I may just have to live with having the mirror lens being adjusted that much.
 

Kuchar09

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
150
Here is the finished results. I was able to find some rubber to fill in the crack which made the mirror practically look factory if you ask me. I took a ton of pictures so I will start working on a write-up so others don't have as much trouble as I did.
All in all I think they turned out great and I am happy with my decision.
Here are a few pictures!!:thumbsup:
Before

After

Normal

Extended

Comparison
 

jham

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,334
Kuchar09 said:
Here is the finished results. I was able to find some rubber to fill in the crack which made the mirror practically look factory if you ask me. I took a ton of pictures so I will start working on a write-up so others don't have as much trouble as I did.
All in all I think they turned out great and I am happy with my decision.
Here are a few pictures!!:thumbsup:
Before

After

Normal

Extended

Comparison

they do look great:thumbsup: my girl said I have to do this next to mine after the meet today.
 

v7guy

Member
Dec 4, 2011
298
Where did you find that piece of rubber to take up the gap?
Looks really good
 

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Member
Dec 3, 2011
8,159
Brighton, CO
bigytwotone said:
so i got a good idea i took my mothers mirrors off her truck and wanted to ask you what y'all think of the look.
View attachment 5962

The mirrors pictured above were not used, would these mount up the same as the extending mirrors that you ended up using? I like the look of the ones pictured above, and have kinda a factory look to them. I know the power extend would most likely not work. I don't remember if this style of mirror has a manual extend to them. Any info would be helpful
 

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Member
Dec 3, 2011
8,159
Brighton, CO
Cool, I am debating installing these extending mirrors, or getting the clip ons. I mainly only need them for winter towing of my enclosed snowmobile trailer that I just picked up yesterday. Was interesting driving it home with mirrors that I couldn't tell what was behind me, or next to me.
 

BeeAyDee

Member
Nov 23, 2014
1
Hey, what kind of bumper do you have on that? I think yours looks the best out of the tbs I've seen.. Actually, what kind of mirrors too? I like the light outside on the plastic rather than on the glass as well.
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,494
Ottawa, ON
1: You do realize that this is a 7 year old dead thread where the majority of the posters have not logged on in years.

2: The ones that were installed were quoted above:
After doing some research I came across this thread.
OffRoad TB - View topic - Big Silverado Mirrors installed
Looks like I should have no problems making these mirrors work so I pulled the trigger will be doing this mod next week!! :wootwoot:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,396
Posts
638,821
Members
18,610
Latest member
Amri

Members Online