torque specs for thermostat bolts

kctrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
hello everyone,
I know I seen a post somewhere about how tight to make the thermostat bolts but after an hour of looking can't seem to find it.i changed my thermostat about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any leaks but now it seems to be leaking and I don't want to over tighten it and snap a bolt.plus the new thermostat came with an o-ring gasket and not one that goes between the housing and block..should I have made a gasket or no? any help is appreciated.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
kctrailblazer said:
hello everyone,
I know I seen a post somewhere about how tight to make the thermostat bolts but after an hour of looking can't seem to find it.i changed my thermostat about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any leaks but now it seems to be leaking and I don't want to over tighten it and snap a bolt.plus the new thermostat came with an o-ring gasket and not one that goes between the housing and block..should I have made a gasket or no? any help is appreciated.

The o-ring is correct for this application.

Did you carefully clean the block?

Did you seal the bolts -- it might help as they could go through into the water jacket.

Torque spec is 89 inch pounds (10Nm).

There is a bolt advisory listed in the manual for the thermostat, i.e., that it needs sealant, correct torque, correct bolts, etc. That means that, in this case, they probably need sealant to stop water seeping from the threads.

kctrailblazer

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
thank you for your help..what would you use to clean the block..i used a brass brush and it looked pretty clean.as far as torque specs 89 inch pounds what does the (10Nm) stand for?

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
kctrailblazer said:
thank you for your help..what would you use to clean the block..i used a brass brush and it looked pretty clean.as far as torque specs 89 inch pounds what does the (10Nm) stand for?

Newton - metres , which is the metric (SI measurement). Even in Canada, I don't know anyone that uses the metric measurement for torque.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online