Torque converter going?

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I think my torque converter may be on its way out. When I accelerate, and keep the pedal constant, it will be a little sluggish then all of a sudden something breaks free and it surges forward with normal acceleration. The other thing I noticed was that there is an intermittent whistling when I am accelerating. I will be changing my trans fluid and filter in the near future because its got 98,XXX mikes on it and that's close enough to the interval lol. Any thoughts here? New air filter new plugs new fluids everything except trans.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
sounds like normal torque management to me. I could be wrong though.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
wesman43 said:
I think my torque converter may be on its way out. When I accelerate, and keep the pedal constant, it will be a little sluggish then all of a sudden something breaks free and it surges forward with normal acceleration. The other thing I noticed was that there is an intermittent whistling when I am accelerating. I will be changing my trans fluid and filter in the near future because its got 98,XXX mikes on it and that's close enough to the interval lol. Any thoughts here? New air filter new plugs new fluids everything except trans.

Unless you've abused the hell out of it for those 98,000 miles I wouldn't suspect the torque converter. I would be more inclined to say a sticky throttle body or a sensor that is getting lazy. The throttle body cleaning is always brought up on this forum because these vehicles are notorious for it. How long has it been since you gave it a thorough cleaning and relearn?

And does it do this only when you floor it? In that case I agree with DDonnie, it's torque management.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I am not saying this is the problem but shifting issues can sometimes be related to the coolant temp sensor and or thermostat being bad.

The whistling noise is more than likely something to do with the air filter box or resonator plumbing.

Are there any Check Engine Codes? Might want to take it to Advance Auto and have them do a quick scan.

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
CaptainXL said:
I am not saying this is the problem but shifting issues can sometimes be related to the coolant temp sensor and or thermostat being bad.

The whistling noise is more than likely something to do with the air filter box or resonator plumbing.

Are there any Check Engine Codes? Might want to take it to Advance Auto and have them do a quick scan.

I'll take it in tomorrow before work to srr if there are any codes...no lights atm though. I should clarify as well, its almost like a whine its intermittent coming from underneath the car and only happens when I accelerate moderately and just before a downshift in succession.

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
dfc739 said:
Unless you've abused the hell out of it for those 98,000 miles I wouldn't suspect the torque converter. I would be more inclined to say a sticky throttle body or a sensor that is getting lazy. The throttle body cleaning is always brought up on this forum because these vehicles are notorious for it. How long has it been since you gave it a thorough cleaning and relearn?

And does it do this only when you floor it? In that case I agree with DDonnie, it's torque management.

Sorry for triple posting here, tapatalk is stupid. When I floor it, the acceleration is chunky almost exponential in acceleration but maybe that is just torque management. I will floor it, it will start off nicely and my speed will increase in chunks with each one leaving off the previous and pushing a bit more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online