NEED HELP Torque converter going bad!?!

JTMSavesTheDay

Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Florida
Let me explain quickly....my engine runs great, idles great. the CEL on this video is p0440 and p0171 and are I believe unrelated to my issue.

The transmission shifts smooth but around 50-55mph the rpms jump back and forth between 1,500-1,800 rpms. The car studders someone because of this rpm jumping back and forth. I thought it would be the transmission but it shifts smooth every gear, it literally jumps like this while driving steadily, not while shifting or accelerating.

I was told it is most definitely the torque converter.

2003 TB EXT LT. 4.2L with 179k miles on her.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Or, more likely (IMO, given my experience) It isn't the torque converter but rather the torque converter clutch failing to lock and stay locked due to a failing/worn TCC valve bore in the valve body.

Before you change the converter out, do this (and a full fluid and filter change)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-4L65E...ash=item3f1166b953:g:WDkAAOSwpDdVeOGx&vxp=mtr

That totally fixed my in-out-in-out shuddering and nonsense, no pulling of the transmission necessary. This was on my old car, which the funny part is the transmission from it is now in my current fun car. I've put at least 20k but likely over 30k on the transmission since installing the kit, zero issues.

Now even if your converter is going out, that kit can't do anything but help stuff. I put it in every single 4L60E I get. The Silverado has 148k on it and counting, the Camaro's 4L60E (which is the first I fixed with this kit) has over 170k, the Trailblazer when it rusted out was at 215k and it still worked great.

Reactions: Mounce and Mooseman

JTMSavesTheDay

Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Florida
Interesting.... so the kit is in a sense an upgrade kit?? I do believe it is the torque converter but this looks like something worth doing after it gets replaced (if it needs to) Is it easy to install yourself or would a shop need to do it?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I did it myself each time. Have a buddy who has access to a lift, that helps a lot. It takes time to do and has a lot of pieces to keep track of, but if you're detail oriented it isn't too bad. Just keep track of how things come apart, and do one part at a time to keep it all straight. Lay out parts in the order they go on the bench, etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online