Torque app question

Mypetropig

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I am not sure if this thread belongs here or not so moderators feel free to move it if need be. I am thinking about purchasing the Torque app pro soon and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for adapters that have a fairly low price tag. Also looking for feed back on how well the app works on our platform if anyone has any experience with it.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Mypetropig said:
I am not sure if this thread belongs here or not so moderators feel free to move it if need be. I am thinking about purchasing the Torque app pro soon and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for adapters that have a fairly low price tag. Also looking for feed back on how well the app works on our platform if anyone has any experience with it.

I have torque pro and this adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/?tag=gmtnation-20

Works for me with no issues. Tells trans temp o2 voltages rpms misfires and more. For like 30 dollars combined it beats those expensive scanners....

You can log trips and tell it to log w.e pid you like together

Clear codes. Although I wasn't able to read 4x4 code it did clear it although turning truck off and on cleared it too.

Does charts. Its worth every penny you won't regret it

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Pretty much any ELM 327 adapter. Mine was like $20-$25 about 2 years ago, works flawlessly with both my phone and tablet. If you have concerns about any just post them up on here and everyone can give you some feedback. From what I have seen they have gotten alot smaller in the last year or so.

Mypetropig

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
willn513 said:
Tons of threads on this

I tried several variations of my question in the search bar with no result. I am savvy to the forum rules and agree that there is no need to clog it up with duplicate threads. Perhaps I missed something. That being said I was and still am looking for informative responses and don't think it necessary to be lectured. In the time it took to post your response you could have simply posted a link. :rant:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Mypetropig said:
That being said I was and still am looking for informative responses and don't think it necessary to be lectured. In the time it took to post your response you could have simply posted a link. :rant:
relax.

i bought the cheapest one i could find on ebay and it works fine.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
Eh. Give him a brake. He's right.

PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth Wireless Trip Computer and OBDII Scanner : Amazon.com : Automotive

Supposedly this one is supposed to be one of the best as far as speed and bluetooth range. The cheap $20 or less units have to be within 5 feet of your android device. And even then sometimes they have dropouts.

Mine doesn't drop out and I can be 10ft away from car. Was a 20 something unit. Works good. Either way its all still cheaper the a regular scanner

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
5' not sure where you heard that? When I first did the custom pids on the app it was about 3 am, cold and I did not want to go out side to make sure it worked. So I remote started the truck, went to one of the front bedrooms and was about 25-30' away from the truck. It picked up and worked flawlessly. It can depend on the Device you are using for the app too. Not all Bluetooth is created equal.

Mypetropig

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys. Do you know if when using the app for diagnostic, does it use data from your phone plan? My wife and I share data is the only reason I ask. One more thing. Does the app come with some sort of instructions to guide you through set up or are you left to fend for yourself?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Mine doesn't drop out and I can be 10ft away from car. Was a 20 something unit. Works good. Either way its all still cheaper the a regular scanner

Just depends on which one you get. I didnt mean to say that all cheap scan tools are crap but the two I havedeveloped problems within 6 months to a year. One of them the Bluetooth degraded and only works reliably within a few feet. Which would corroborate with negative reviews seen on Amazon for example. My experience is that the cheap ones have cheaper parts and connectors.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Mypetropig said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Do you know if when using the app for diagnostic, does it use data from your phone plan? My wife and I share data is the only reason I ask. One more thing. Does the app come with some sort of instructions to guide you through set up or are you left to fend for yourself?

I use Torque on my WiFi only tablet so data is not required. Just pair the BT device with your phone like all other BT devices and open the app. Should work pretty much out of the box. However the thing about Torque is it can be customized ten million different ways, that's half of its appeal.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012

Mypetropig

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
So I have the app and the Elm327 adapter. just curious as to how to get a few things working. Such as the following:
Volts
Trans temp
AFR(c) & AFR(m)
Fuel pressure & fuel rail pressure (not sure if we have that PID)
O2S1LV & O2S2lV
the reading for the second O2 sensor (O2 2X1)
I have the fuel trim readings for bank 1 but nothing for bank 2
I appreciate any help you guys can give.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
have the fuel trim readings for bank 1 but nothing for bank 2 , that's because we don't have a bank 2 a v8 would because they have 2 o2 sensors in front of the 2 cats, we only have 1 front and 1 behind the single cat

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
Go to settings,manage extra pids/sensors,add predifined pids,add gm pids

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
You may also want to get the TorqueScan plugin. Its free, and a super easy, quick way to see what sensors your ECS has. After you add the GM pid's, of course.

Mypetropig

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Makes sense about the fuel trims settings, I was just thinking that the first three cylinders were bank one and the last three were bank two. I havent had the chance to play around with it much. Next thing will be to search the GM PID's.

Mypetropig

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
When you go through settings and are trying to add PID's if you select one that the vehicle doesnt support, is it a no harm no foul type situation and you just delete it? What is torque plug in? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to figure this out and learn more about my truck in the process.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mypetropig said:
When you go through settings and are trying to add PID's if you select one that the vehicle doesnt support, is it a no harm no foul type situation and you just delete it? What is torque plug in? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to figure this out and learn more about my truck in the process.

Since the scan tool is a unidirectional device you aren't commanding anything on the PCM. Therefore no matter what PID you enter it won't cause any harm. Also, you don't add custom PIDS unless you know what you are really doing. You want to add the predefined set for GM/OPAL. The predefined set pretty much covers everything outside of bidirectional tests.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Just got a note 2 a couple weeks ago and its great and I have been reading on this and want to run this app also. Now I have a couple of questions also.

1. these bluetooth adaptors are they all the same thing just different brands right? Like one doesn't only read one thing over another etc?
2. is one of those adaptors all I need for this app to work and pick up everything I need?
3. anyone have a good mount for the car to hold something like my note 2?

sorry if some of these are stupid questions lol

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Perfect thanks jimmy!! When I opened the app it said that my pandora app will cause the app to go really slow and is disable bluetooth sync on it, how do you do that? couldn't find anything in the settings on it or the app itself

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
jimmyjam said:
this is the one i have.
[EBAY]251092320009[/EBAY]

Just a quick question: Has anyone had a problem with their leg knocking the adapter out of the OBDII port?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wooluf1952 said:
Just a quick question: Has anyone had a problem with their leg knocking the adapter out of the OBDII port?
Not since I unscrewed the connector from its annoying location under the dash and chucked it and the ELM327 adapter up behind the kick panel where it doesn't hit my leg anymore. :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

I was wondering that myself, they do have a super mini one which is what I am considering

[EBAY]230936239357[/EBAY]

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ItsOnVoy said:
I was wondering that myself, they do have a super mini one which is what I am considering

That's what I was looking at.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I have the BAFX brand adaptor that I picked up on Amazon. It wasn't the cheapest, but had the best positive to negative ratio of ratings, in the cheaper price range. It ran about $23. I keep mine plugged in all the time, and have NEVER had a problem hitting it. I even experimented, by over accentuating my leg movements, and didn't hit it. My wife, who is about 7" shorter, doesn't even know its there. I say that = success.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
ItsOnVoy said:

My brother in law has this one and hasn't had any problems with it.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:

I have my brake controller mounted next to the port and I don't hit either one.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
DevilishT2003 said:

Just received that adapter when starting a road trip. Yay, honey, you're driving, I get to set this up and play.

No time to view the mini dvd, so maybe I am doing something wrong. Can't communicate with device. Bluetooth connected, just no ECN com.

Anything I can do or adjust?

Edit: started new thread.

Just realized I'm hijacking a thread, but I'm on mobile so I can't copy paste now.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
C-ya said:
I have my brake controller mounted next to the port and I don't hit either one.

Pics:

IMAG0745_1_zps378f82a4.jpg

IMAG0742_1_zps72a3dba8.jpg

A little dark, but you see both of them and they are well out of the way.

IMAG0744_1_zps38c2bc9a.jpg

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Those pictures answer another question I had.

The OBD II port on my '03 Envoy is on the other side of the steering wheel, by the right leg.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Those pictures answer another question I had.

The OBD II port on my '03 Envoy is on the other side of the steering wheel, by the right leg.

my 02 envoy is right about where they are in the pic, did they change that in 03?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ItsOnVoy said:
my 02 envoy is right about where they are in the pic, did they change that in 03?

And the mystery deepens. :rotfl:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Anyone know how accurate the torque gas mileage is? I have it programmed with the correct weight (4900) but it's showing way better than i assumed i would be getting. (18.5 in the city)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online